Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Warranteed Brembo Replacement

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2005, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warranteed Brembo Replacement

There have been several threads on Evom discussing the chipping that may occur on the Brembo calipers. Some dealers are more willing than others to replace them under warranty.

For anyone with this chipping problem in the Dallas area, contact the Service Department at Don Herring Mitsubishi in Plano, TX (972-770-6200) and complain (be nice) about the problem. They will order a new set of Brembo calipers and install them under warranty for you. Mine were replaced today at no charge under warranty on my 2.5 year-old, 2003 Evo. Replacing all calipers is otherwise a $5700 repair.

I'm particular about who I let work on my car, so I travel 20 miles to take my car to Don Herring. I've been dealing with them for two years now and know most of the service advisors, mechanics, shop foreman and service manager. They are good people and will treat you right. If there is anything that they can pass off under a warranty repair, they will do it for you. They can't pass off abuse under warranty.

This Service Department is beginning a conscious effort to support and attract the Evo community. They are mod friendly (take a look at my mod list) and I have always had a relationship with them of mutual respect. What I mean is that they will help you out whenever they can to get things covered under warranty, but don't blow your motor while running a screwed-up UTEC map with 30 psi of boost and get pissed when they won't cover it. This is not mutual respect.

You can use my name (Mark Berry) as reference with them and if you are not treated fairly, let me know and I'll talk to someone to try and get it fixed. No, I don't work for Don Herring or get anything for posting this. I just want to let other local Evo owners know that there is a place to take your car where they do good work, will treat you fairly and want you to be a satisfied customer.

Mark

Last edited by Evo8RA; Nov 23, 2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just don't get your twin disk clutch installed there.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by asasin79
just don't get your twin disk clutch installed there.
Hi Vincent,
How are you doing? Maybe we can meet and talk Evos at the next NTEC meeting. Actually, I think Don Herring Service would agree with you. They are great at doing any work that a dealer is setup to do. They installed my stainless brake lines and clutch line and did a great job. On another occasion, I had them remove the clutch line so I could meet the letter of the SCCA autocross rules, again great work.

I spoke with them yesterday about your clutch experience and they agreed that installing multidisk clutches without instructions is a different matter and something they really don't want to attempt again. They have installed twin and triple-disk clutches (mainly on 3000 VR4s) for other customers, with excellent results and happy customers. The key difference is that they were provided detailed manufacturer directions on how to do it. To be honest, after the experience with your "clutch-in-a-box", it's really something they don't want to do again.

Cheers,
Mark

Last edited by Evo8RA; Nov 24, 2005 at 06:56 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

even if my car has 40,000 miles on it, will they cover it???
Old Nov 24, 2005, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BushBurninEvo
even if my car has 40,000 miles on it, will they cover it???
Not sure. Give them a call and ask for Larry in Service. Mention that you spoke with me.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Well if I changed my pads to ferrodo, would that matter? I got service done there once before and they got good price and good service.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

hey Mark,
it's been awile. i hope you and your family are well and having a great thanksgiving. i haven't been to an NTEC meet in a while. kinda had alot going on for the last few months. my clutch had instructions. very detailed with great images. only thing is the verbage was in japanese. the disks are labeled "flywheel side" and "transmission side" on each disk in english there's no excuse for that. you know the mechanic (Dale, i think) admitted it is probably backwards, but when we got into the service manager's (i think his name is Douchebag) office he was telling me that his techs have installed twins before and there is no way it's backwards. i'd be cool if he wasn't there or if he would admit that it was installed incorrectly. hell the guy how installed it admitted it, but the manager is too proud. oh well. i really wish i could go there as they are very close to me.

oh and the clutch is a Cucso twin made by Exedy who is made by Daiken who makes almost all OEM clutches for Japanese cars including the evo.

vincent

Originally Posted by Evo8RA
Hi Vincent,
How are you doing? Maybe we can meet and talk Evos at the next NTEC meeting. Actually, I think Don Herring Service would agree with you. They are great at doing any work that a dealer is setup to do. They installed my stainless brake lines and clutch line and did a great job. On another occasion, I had them remove the clutch line so I could meet the letter of the SCCA autocross rules, again great work.

I spoke with them yesterday about your clutch experience and they agreed that installing multidisk clutches without instructions is a different matter and something they really don't want to attempt again. They have installed twin and triple-disk clutches (mainly on 3000 VR4s) for other customers, with excellent results and happy customers. The key difference is that they were provided detailed manufacturer directions on how to do it. To be honest, after the experience with your "clutch-in-a-box", it's really something they don't want to do again.

Cheers,
Mark
Old Nov 24, 2005, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Well when I get my brownbos I know where I'm going
Old Nov 24, 2005, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BushBurninEvo
Well if I changed my pads to ferrodo, would that matter? I got service done there once before and they got good price and good service.
I'm sure it's fine, because my car has Porterfield R4S performance pads and they made sure to reinstall them in the same positions in the new calipers.

Mark
Old Nov 25, 2005, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

well I'll be damned, I'll give them a call Monday.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 10:00 PM

brembos

I had my front calipers replaced and now my back ones are fading.My service manager that I deal with said they weren't going to do any more replacement and then said later on,that they were waitng on some calipers to be properly powder coated and that I was first on the list.I have also had my wing replaced and it has small scratches and 2 places where it looks like the carbon fiber is chipping or flaking.The verdict is still out as to what they are going to do or not do.I wonder how many of us has had this problem?