Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Tuning shops in the Round Rock, Texas area or Austin, Texas area

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2006, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by M00kiE
MZM is pretty much the only tuner anybody goes to here in austin. www.mzmperformance.com
Don't know if Mo has any experiece with the UTEC at all though, but it's worth a shot. Its down howard lane across the street from the FedEX spot.
MZM does good work and is very experienced with EVOs.

The only way I was able to stop spark squelch at high boost was to install the HKS DLI II. A guy running a 35R had the same problems. I tried new plugs and narrowed the gap and still had the same problems until the DLI was installed.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 06:55 AM

...thanks for the info. What spark plugs are you using with the HKS DLI II? Are you also still using the stock plug wires?
Old Jan 23, 2006, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

I would stay away from MZM... I've had experience with them in the past, and they will never get my business again.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

I have 2 buddy's have work and tuning done by them. Both with excellent results. Not everyone has the same experience though.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by Batmann!
...thanks for the info. What spark plugs are you using with the HKS DLI II? Are you also still using the stock plug wires?
I've run both the coppers and iridiums, currently iridiums on stock plug wires.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 06:06 PM
j8
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Batmann!
Hello,
does anyone know of any tuning shops in the Austin Texas area, or Round Rock Texas area? It would really help if the shop is familiar with Evos.

I am having problems with "blown spark". I have a 2005 MR with an ATP turbo kit and the usual suspects: injectors, exhaust, boost control, Utec e.t.c. I am still running the stock cams and stock ignition. I'm running 26 ibs of boost with straight 104 unleaded. I got the car tuned and it was running excellent. I then decided to change the Spark plugs and Plug wires and that is when the problems began. I got Magneco wires and Iridium plugs (one step colder). The car runs great but when I get into it, the "Check Engine Light" flashes a couple of times at around 4500 to 5000 rpms. I regapped the plugs to ".026" and put back the stock plug wires, and it fixed the problem for a little while. However, the car started having the same problems again. I then changed the Spark Plugs and put back the stockers. This fixed the problem again temporarily. However the problem started again later on. It's driving me nuts!!

Has anyone else had this problem? What plugs, plug-gap, and Spark Plug wires would you guys recommend? Do I need to upgrade the ignition?
Thanks for your help and advice.

If your Utec is controlling timing then it will flash the check engine light when you are hitting knock. This could be your problem. It has the feature built into it. You may want to check how much if any knock your are hitting. Knock will happen in that RPM range if your timming is set to aggressively. With the colder weather lately, knock can come and go daily. I know on my Power FC I had to make adjustments when the weather changed.

Here is a link to the owners manual. I hope you figure out your problem. By the way everytime I have dealt with MZM they have been extremely professional.

Link: http://www.turboxs.com/downloads/Evo...nual%201.6.pdf
Old Jan 23, 2006, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

I recommend MZM. I have had nothing but great experiences there.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 01:22 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by LpBevoEvo
I would stay away from MZM... I've had experience with them in the past, and they will never get my business again.

Why???? I recently purchased a EVO 9 MR and was going to allow MZM tune her.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by milo
Why???? I recently purchased a EVO 9 MR and was going to allow MZM tune her.
Have them do an Ecutak flash and you'll be very happy. They are the only one in the area that does Ecutek flashes and have many happy EVO and Subaru flash customers. I think they had a flashed EVO 9 with just an exhaust and intake recently run a 12.0 on a pump gas flash.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
Have them do an Ecutak flash and you'll be very happy. They are the only one in the area that does Ecutek flashes and have many happy EVO and Subaru flash customers. I think they had a flashed EVO 9 with just an exhaust and intake recently run a 12.0 on a pump gas flash.
who's that? haven't heard anything about Mo getting his hands on a IX yet... interesting...
Old Jan 25, 2006, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

F*ck MZM...
Old Jan 25, 2006, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LpBevoEvo
F*ck MZM...
at least the man stands his ground.

I have to agree with LPBevo though, I'm not to ga ga over them either.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 07:53 PM

... well thanks for the suggestions fellows. I think I'll get the HKS DLI II, Ralliart spark plug wires, as well as Denso spark plugs IW24's. I hope this will fix the problem. What do you guys think?
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

I tried to warn you LPBevo at the TT tune date back in the summer but I hate sounding like a broken record.

Although I respect Robert's opinion, I have to say that taking my Evo to MZM and spending a fortune on Mohammed's BS was one my most regretable life decisions. That is a fact not an opinion. They gave me the run around and did not deliver, its truly a shame that the community is still getting scamed by these guys.

Last edited by QAT-R; Jan 27, 2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evotino
I recommend MZM. I have had nothing but great experiences there.
yup, they are the only option in central TX, IMHO. Myself and everyone I know have had nothing but a positive experience with Mitsu's and Subies at MZM.

EDIT: the 12.06 pass with Ecutek and pump gas was accomplished in an Evo VIII. The IX should have even greater potential with similar mods

Last edited by avngrguild; Jan 26, 2006 at 05:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Tuning shops in the Round Rock, Texas area or Austin, Texas area