Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

what's the cost of tuning?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2003, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what's the cost of tuning?

I'm new to turbo cars and I'm a little curious what dyno tuning costs? Assuming I get a SAFC and boost controler.

How safe is dyno tuning considering that in the real world the engine will heat up and there's much more air flow?

This car is my daily driver so I can't have an engine blow up on me.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Kind of OT, but is there a place in Austin that has a 4wd dyno?
Old Apr 24, 2003, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Dyno tuning is a safe and great way to get maximum hp out of your setup. It is typically $100-150 an hour.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by iodine23
I haven't been there personally but a friend told me that ProTech has an AWD dyno. ProTech is on N. Lamar across from SidePocket billiards
Old Apr 24, 2003, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I've been to ProTech before a long time ago. I had them install my clutch and flywheel on my Subaru 2.5RS. I think since I've been there they've moved to a real showroom and everything, they used to be back a sidestreet in a warehouse kind of place. I think that's still their shop actually, but now it doesn't have to serve as their storefront anymore.

I should ask my friend if they have an AWD dyno, he hangs out there some and is getting suspension bits for his Si installed there. Or I guess I could always call them, but that's too easy!

FWIW he also told me that they said they've had a few Evos come in to get some stuff done to them.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

why not just set the Buschurracing.com settings that have been dyno tested for our Evo and come with their SAFC?
Old Apr 24, 2003, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by iodine23
There is NO AWD dyno in ATX... closest one is in Dallas... but dyno tuning your car is worth every penny.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Guack007
why not just set the Buschurracing.com settings that have been dyno tested for our Evo and come with their SAFC?
Because every single car is different and you can't just take cookie cutter "tunes" and have every car run the same... that is why everyone NEEDS a datalogger and coupled with WB02 tuning/dyno tuning you car should be ok.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

turbo: That's what I thought, I just didn't know if the situation had changed in the last year or so. The dyno is at FIS, right? Or are there more? I think Cobb had one, but I'm assuming they took theirs to SLC when they moved.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Wombat, do you happen to drive a black EVO? If you do I saw you a few weeks ago at the Guadalupe/MLK intersection. Just my .02
Old Apr 25, 2003, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Looks like there's another black one in Austin I haven't been in that area since I've got the car.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Wombat: I've seen a black one up in Cedar Park a few times. Twice on Lakeline Blvd., once on Cypress Creek, and once parked at the Kohls by Lakeline Mall. If that wasn't you then you can add another black one to the list. I'm assuming they were all the same person.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 10:45 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

This has strayed faaaar from the original topic. You guys want to salvage it or have it moved to regional or off topic?
Old Apr 25, 2003, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

I'm the black one up in Cedar Park. Iodine - I figured you were the white one I kept seeing.

Ok...now I done...thanks for all the help guys with where and how much the dyno tuning is going to be.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 11:52 AM

Hey guys, ok we already know the closest awd dyno is in Dallas, but I was just going to say stay away from Pro-Tech...just my opinion...but I've been around this scene in austin for quite awhile...MZM guys are damn good tuners but no dyno. Pro-Tech is well...just shady...I know of most of the "work" on Honda's...and well my friend was basically fixing all there work. Iodine, I saw you up at the autoX saturday...well your car. I'm glad you were there...I had no idea they were out yet I have been so busy at work, so I went and picked one up! Man it's great. I used to race w/ spokes alot in my R so I can't wait to have some fun in this. How did you enjoy your runs? Was that your first time out?

Quick Reply: what's the cost of tuning?