Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

First Rain shower

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2006, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Rain shower

I've had my Evo since June and never had it in a rain shower. Typical summer weather in Texas.

I was on the way yesterday headng north thru carrollton and lewisville and got hit by a massive rain storm. She handled pretty well. Did not get too aggressive and try and drive pass everyone but it was tempting.

Last edited by Shellback; Aug 8, 2006 at 10:42 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Please dont try it. Learn from my experience and kevinD's.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

+ 1

The Evo is ridiculously competent in the wet, but not invincible. Read on for my story about the near-miss which left my heart pounding.

=========================================

Two nights ago I got caught in a massive storm in West Texas between El Paso and Van Horn. I run Dunlop FM901s, which are a great rain tire. I slowed down from 85 mph to about 70 mph, and the car felt locked to the road.

Just before a long sweeper I felt the front tires start to spin and catch. No problem, I feel this same thing all the time in my Maxima, and felt it in all the FWD cars I drove for the 20 years before I bought the Evo. I simply use it as a signal to slow down.

I lift and start to slow. But just as I enter the gentle left-hand sweeper I got hit by a very strong gust of wind from the left side. (This area has signs all over it warning of strong cross winds - and that's for non-stormy conditions.)

Now I have no steering, and am driving straight across the traffic lanes aimed directly at a couple of large roadside signs.

Reflexes take over at this point. Rightly or wrongly, I don't hit the brakes (but I am off the throttle). I turn the wheel. Nothing. Straighten it out to get grip and turn again. Nothing.

Now I hear the buzz from the rumble strips as I go onto the shoulder. I consider turning to the right to avoid the signs. (Weird stuff flashes through your mind quickly in situations like this.) I think about how bad this wreck is going to be as I slide off the road at 70 mph through signs and onto the muddy roadside.

I'm now only a couple of feet, and a couple of seconds, from leaving the shoulder. I'm making rapid but small "turn and straighten" movements with the wheel and the car starts to respond. It takes a series of them to get the car straightened out on the shoulder, and during the last one the tires grip pretty good and the car turns hard to the left. (Had I not been straightening the wheel after making my small turns, that last one would probably have sent me back across the interstate, possibly spinning in the process.)

I apply the brakes gentlly and bring it to a stop on the shoulder. Turn the hazards on, and then just sit there and tremble for a few minutes.

The elapsed time from losing control to regaining control was maybe 4 seconds.

=========================================

Competent. But not invincible.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 02:27 PM

Glad you are ok, where in houston are you located at ?
Old Aug 14, 2006, 08:09 AM

Good story, better outcome. Glad ur ok.