Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Evo IX Crate Engine

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2006, 11:49 AM
ez
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Create engine is a vague term. There is a short block - built bottom end minus head, etc. A long block is usually the entire self contained engine unit minus accessories. Some people refer to crate engine as long block only and others mean long block plus intake/exhaust mani and accessories.

But there is no need to add the cost of accessories and manifolds to a long block as they can easily be reused in the swap.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

A complete crate engine would be great for someone starting from scratch, + it would make a great project for whatever car they wanted to put it in. Hey why not one in a honda civic?! Seriously though, I think they would sell a lot of them if they were offered.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Mistubishi does sell crate engines. There was one on e-bay a few years back. It was fro a 99 eclipse. I think she said she paid 6500 for it. Came with manifolds,injectors, turbo. But no flywheel or ancilliaries. I think the point of the thread is would evo8 guys be interested in a complete 9 engine like this. The answer is no. Too many other things needed and too expensive.. Wire harness and ecu etc.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
Mistubishi does sell crate engines. There was one on e-bay a few years back. It was fro a 99 eclipse. I think she said she paid 6500 for it. Came with manifolds,injectors, turbo. But no flywheel or ancilliaries. I think the point of the thread is would evo8 guys be interested in a complete 9 engine like this. The answer is no. Too many other things needed and too expensive.. Wire harness and ecu etc.

i dont think it's just for the evo8 guys, it's for anyone and everyone interested in the mivec 4g63. if i had the money to do this i would defintely buy one and prepare it the way i want just to have as a spare for whenever the stocker was pushed to far. just my 2cents
Old Dec 9, 2006, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

i think another misconception in this thread is that it is built. i'm guessint it'll be stock specs. i would also expect it to be block+head w/o oil pan or valve cover. for around $7500.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

If it's a long block, complete with mivec, the only ecu's that'll work with be the 9's. You wouldn't be able to drop this in an 8 and take advantage of it.

I doubt it comes with the larger 9 turbo assembly either, just the block and head.

I dunno, I don't see any market for these. I mean, how many people blow their motor and rebuild with stock parts? Everyone upgrades when they get to that point. Need more info. on what all comes with the "crate" motor to talk intelligently anyway.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
If it's a long block, complete with mivec, the only ecu's that'll work with be the 9's. You wouldn't be able to drop this in an 8 and take advantage of it.

I doubt it comes with the larger 9 turbo assembly either, just the block and head.

I dunno, I don't see any market for these. I mean, how many people blow their motor and rebuild with stock parts? Everyone upgrades when they get to that point. Need more info. on what all comes with the "crate" motor to talk intelligently anyway.
yes you can. it's been done before at least twice now. regardless i'd prefer my evo8 4G63. Everyone likes mivec this and mivec that but honestly there are much more proven parts available for the 8.

people have had to wait ages for AEM EMS now for the evo9. cams such as jun and revolver aren't made for the evo9.

might take a little more to get power out of our smaller turbo, but i'm happy i bought my 8. slap on bigger turbo, build the engine, and throw in aem ems and it's all exactly the same anyhow
Old Dec 11, 2006, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kee1pride
yes you can. it's been done before at least twice now. regardless i'd prefer my evo8 4G63. Everyone likes mivec this and mivec that but honestly there are much more proven parts available for the 8.

people have had to wait ages for AEM EMS now for the evo9. cams such as jun and revolver aren't made for the evo9.

might take a little more to get power out of our smaller turbo, but i'm happy i bought my 8. slap on bigger turbo, build the engine, and throw in aem ems and it's all exactly the same anyhow
how do you control the mivec?
Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

evo9 ecu
Old Dec 11, 2006, 04:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Just for clarification Mitsu is considering selling the following as a crate engine:

1. Supply Unit : This is "Complete" engine assy including following
components.

Intake manifold
Exhaust manifold
Turbo
Injectors
Throttle Body
Cylinder Head Assy
Flywheel, Clutch cover, Clutch disc
Ignition coils
Timing belt

2. Warranty : MMC Japan will provide MMNA with same warranty as other
service parts which would be 12/12,000.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

$10k+ ballpark with all that.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe I missed it, but I'm still confused if this is a stock spec engine or not?
Old Dec 13, 2006, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

buschur sells a complete long block stage 1 4g63 for $2650. granted it doesn't have intake/exhaust and the other pieces and is not evo specific, but if this motor goes over 5k, it will only sell to uneducated people that don't know anything about the dsm community and it's known tuners, or to those that wreck a car and take it and the insurance check to the dealers for repair.

it will all be about the price, and until you release that, there really is no answer as to whether or not it will sell.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 06:12 AM
Former Sponsor

This will be a stock Evo IX motor with Stock Evo IX turbo cllutch etc.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by asasin79
$10k+ ballpark with all that.

Too high is all I will say....

I do have inside knowledge of this as well, but will leave it to Don to give you all the details as he sees fit.

But I will say, the feed back from you guys here is exactly what we are looking for. I have talked to several shops local and state wide (TX) and gotten some very good feedback from them. This way, we can get back to Mitsu and tell them what we are hearing and see what we need to do to make this happen. Think it is a good opportunity for all involved.

Quick Reply: Evo IX Crate Engine