Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Test Pipes: inspection trouble in TX?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test Pipes: inspection trouble in TX?

I have a question for you guys who live in Austin, Houston, and Dallas.

How many of you have ever had trouble getting your car inspected with a test pipe or a cat-delete?

On the same note, have any of you ever gotten a ticket for not having your cat?

I live in Podunkville right now, so I'd have no problem getting inspected without a cat; but my wife and I are looking for jobs in the Austin area and I'm just wondering if I'll have a problem once we move.

Any experiences or advice are greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:50 AM
Former Sponsor

i got a ticket for expired emmisions on my car when i was running a test pipe. the cop didn't look for a cat or anything if thats what your wondering. he did ask why i haven't gotten it done yet. i just said "sorry officer, i have a check engine light and just haven't gotten around to getting it taken care of". oh, and my emissions testing was 6 months expired.

in order to pass inspections, i simply reflashed my ecu to stock so it would stop pulling the p0300 codes, and put my highflow cat on. it passed the first try, then i immediately reflashed it to my tune, and putt he test pipe back on.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 06:50 AM

Thanks! Anyone else have a simular experience with the law?

I'm planning on welding up a custom 3" downpipe for the Eclipse and just deleting the cat - which would make it completly obvious there isnt a cat. Surely emmissions inspection shops at least look to see if there is a cat, right?
Old Feb 7, 2007, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

i passed with tube mani, gt30 with atmospheric wastegate and test pipe. all they do is plug into obd2 and check codes and readiness.

using xede for tuning. i didn't even bother adjusting my maps.

this was in collin county which has same requirements as dallas county.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

they don't put a sniffer on the OBDII cars in Texas, just check for trouble codes. Once you have something 'high performance' looking in the engine bay, I'd be careful about the visual inspection portion though. As soon as I put a tubular manifold on my car, the mirror came out and they started looking under the car to check for a cat.

Last edited by dubbleugly01; Feb 7, 2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

I live in Irving and have always had the sniffer put in. I spend a few minutes and put my cat back on,do the test,come home and take the cat off. I believe its the person doing the test that selects what to look for and how thorough to make the test.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
since i do my own inspections i NEVER have problems.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

OBDI cars require the two speed sniffer test (pre 96 cars).

OBDII cars only require the OBDII scan to check for trouble codes plus a visual of the exhaust system. There's a bunch of other stuff checked, like brakes, tires, headlights, etc. but nothing related to emissions other than that mentioned above. If you're 03 or newer Evo is being put to a sniffer test, it shouldn't be. It's not the person doing the test that decides, it's mandated by the state. Both the DPS and the TCEQ have their fingers in it, but any car that is OBDII doesn't require a sniffer by state law.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

I've never heard of a (patrol) cop in Texas giving a ticket for emissions. Certainly not like they do in California (popping your hood, looking under, etc). I believe it mostly boils down to training. Cops aren't mechanics and they don't like the idea of inspecting cars.

I have heard some cities in Texas put up random roadside testing sensors with cameras. If your car triggers a picture, you get a friendly letter in the mail telling you to get your car tested.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes the st. does set up roadside test sensors along the highways. I've only seen them on 635. They are easy to spot. It is always a white box truck.