Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Anyone wanting a Tune in this area?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2007, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
and implemented essentially the same thing as the HFS-5 on one of the race cars before the HFS-5 was around.
what kind of valve did you use?
Old Aug 20, 2007, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

where are the fast cars?how many 8 or 9sec cars has this kevind guy tuned?sean does it daily,he has a 9sec dsm and a 9sec supra.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

thanks Phoenix! i appreciate all the good comments people have, and i'm not happy until other people are happy (so whoever this is that wasn't happy, please put them in touch with me and i'll get it straighten out). again, i am not saying i'm better then all the other tuners, and i really think Milo took kellys comment the wrong way (kelly likes to support local people and appreciates the work myself and george do on his car).
"i am not saying i'm better then all the other tuners" Yah man I hear u .. u r a good guy, so even if u did think u were better, u wouldnt slander the names of other vendors by saying that they r not as good as u.
With that being said milo was trying to gain intrest about an upcoming tune event he wants to have by these vendors, and that statement didnt help that issue and was a large opener into vendor bashing/whos better comments.
The part that i think sucks is u got dragged into it. Now u will have people like the quote below with people asking u to validate yourself to them. Wich isnt your fault or responability. I just hope people dont start teaming up with or against u over something that u didnt even bring to the table!!! KEEP HELPING THE COMMNITY AS MUCH AS U DO AND THANK U SIR! -- i only repeat this cause i really do hear good things about u helping people

Originally Posted by evo_08
where are the fast cars?how many 8 or 9sec cars has this kevind guy tuned?sean does it daily,he has a 9sec dsm and a 9sec supra.

Last edited by PhoenixEvo; Aug 20, 2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 04:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SlowCar
what kind of valve did you use?
we used an actual injector. the ecu we were using had injector drivers for 8 injectors (4 banks of 2). but because it was only a 4 cylinder engine, the ecu would only operate 2 banks. i worked with the developers to enable one extra bank to pulse based off a table with manifold pressure as the lookup parameter. the injector pulsed with whichever bank we wanted (i.e. 1-4 or 2-3). the injector got its fuel supply off the fuel rail using the primary fuel. (only one fuel is permitted according to the rules for formula SAE). i got to enter the pulse width of the 5th injector in the table, so more boost i could run a longer pulse width through the 5th injector. instead of following the duty cycle identically like the HFS does, it allowed to roll the 5th injector in more smoothly. it was really cool how it worked.

i never said sean or jestr were bad tuners. i would never say something like that! i'm not here to throw mud, i'm here for others to get to know me, what i do, and how i do it. throwing mud isn't my style.

how many 9 second cars have i tuned? none. but i've tuned a 3 time national champion SCCA autocross car, which with raw time is in the top 5 cars in the nation i doubt many tuners can say that. generally speaking, 9 second cars are tuned on a dyno, which i don't have unfortunately. i respect ivey and the work he does, a 9 second car is a huge accomplishment.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

I cant make a reasonable claim as to who is better, as I only have experience with Kevin. But that being said, I would trust Kevin 100% to tune my car again regardless of the mods installed or managment system used. The fact is that Kevin knows his stuff, and his profesionalism is amazing. He explained step by step what he was doing during the tuning process, told me what the different readings meant. And to top it all off he is a Texas local.

So again this is not meant to say this tuner is better than that tuner, this is simply to say that Kevin has the experience and knowledge that it takes for me personally to let him tune my car.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

we used an actual injector. the ecu we were using had injector drivers for 8 injectors (4 banks of 2). but because it was only a 4 cylinder engine, the ecu would only operate 2 banks. i worked with the developers to enable one extra bank to pulse based off a table with manifold pressure as the lookup parameter. the injector pulsed with whichever bank we wanted (i.e. 1-4 or 2-3). the injector got its fuel supply off the fuel rail using the primary fuel. (only one fuel is permitted according to the rules for formula SAE). i got to enter the pulse width of the 5th injector in the table, so more boost i could run a longer pulse width through the 5th injector. instead of following the duty cycle identically like the HFS does, it allowed to roll the 5th injector in more smoothly. it was really cool how it worked.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

I told Kevin yesterday...I'm fortunate to have someone I trust with my car so close by. Other than the service people at Don Herring, he's the only other person that's ever been in the driver's seat of my car. He's done all my mods and I've been totally satisfied with him.

I have no experience with other tuners and I'm sure they are awesome too. If I lived in Chicago, I'd probably speak very highly of AMS. Just know KevinD has plenty of happy customers here in DFW.