Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Mitsu Clutch Shops in/around San Antonio???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2007, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending on the timeframe, you may want to see if Mistuorder can do them if I'm not available. They're super easy...the total time even if you take your time is probably about 2-3 hours max.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, you are always right. End of conversation.LOL.....
Old Dec 5, 2007, 02:25 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
To clarify I pretty much only help those that I know. I run no business, just help.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 02:25 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
To clarify I pretty much only help those that I know. I run no business, just help.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 04:31 PM
j8
Evolving Member

I can speak from experience in regards to Precision R. I can not speak about anyone else on this forum and would rather not, since no one has touched my cars besides myself and PR. I have been using PR for help with installs for the last four years. I have yet to have a bad experience. I am friends with the owner, but I feel that is part of finding the right shop to take care of your baby. My advise to everyone is simple. When you bring your car to any shop explain your expectations to them. Make sure they understand what you want and how you want it done. If the shop does not meet those expectations tell them. Let them have a chance to correct what ever problem you have. Stuff happens and there is no person or shop in this world that does not make mistakes. If they say that never make mistakes they are full of it. It is to easy to test a shop. First have them do something small. Like install a MBC or something. Look at the work. If you like it have them do something bigger until you feel happy with their work. Continue to let them know your wants. If the mess up see how they recover. Still happy you most likely found the right shop.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by j8
I can speak from experience in regards to Precision R. I can not speak about anyone else on this forum and would rather not, since no one has touched my cars besides myself and PR. I have been using PR for help with installs for the last four years. I have yet to have a bad experience. I am friends with the owner, but I feel that is part of finding the right shop to take care of your baby. My advise to everyone is simple. When you bring your car to any shop explain your expectations to them. Make sure they understand what you want and how you want it done. If the shop does not meet those expectations tell them. Let them have a chance to correct what ever problem you have. Stuff happens and there is no person or shop in this world that does not make mistakes. If they say that never make mistakes they are full of it. It is to easy to test a shop. First have them do something small. Like install a MBC or something. Look at the work. If you like it have them do something bigger until you feel happy with their work. Continue to let them know your wants. If the mess up see how they recover. Still happy you most likely found the right shop.

Well said, this is one of the reasons why I only let PR work on my car and by the way they did install my clutch in my car about 8 months ago and no problem what so ever.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 07:36 PM
Admin Alumni

Thread cleaned.

Please keep it on-topic and leave out the personal insults.
J.D.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by j8
Now THAT is an intelligent response. Thanks for the nuetral insight.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by j8
I can speak from experience in regards to Precision R. I can not speak about anyone else on this forum and would rather not, since no one has touched my cars besides myself and PR. I have been using PR for help with installs for the last four years. I have yet to have a bad experience. I am friends with the owner, but I feel that is part of finding the right shop to take care of your baby. My advise to everyone is simple. When you bring your car to any shop explain your expectations to them. Make sure they understand what you want and how you want it done. If the shop does not meet those expectations tell them. Let them have a chance to correct what ever problem you have.
Now THAT'S a brilliant comment, first hand experience with the shop review. 8 Years here with the shop and still counting.

Originally Posted by j8
Stuff happens and there is no person or shop in this world that does not make mistakes. If they say that never make mistakes they are full of it.
Totally agree with your statement, everyone make mistakes. If there are none, there is a higher percentage that their first mistake will be happening on your car.

Originally Posted by j8
It is to easy to test a shop. First have them do something small. Like install a MBC or something. Look at the work. If you like it have them do something bigger until you feel happy with their work. Continue to let them know your wants. If the mess up see how they recover. Still happy you most likely found the right shop.

Hey J, thanks for posting the step by step way of how to test out a shop. It makes choosing a shop so much easier.
That's how i find out PR is the shop i would like to stay with. My advise is to choose your shop and stay with them, the more different individual working on your car the more problem you going to get. Especially electrical work, every shop had their own way in getting their power source. " the right way" Tracing down electrical problem will be so much easier and there will be less chance of been pushing around by shop when there is a faulty install.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

I'm sorry j, but I must vehemently disagree. If you want the best experience with a shop follow these simple rules to success:

1) Always find out ther shop rates up front, but complain about them later. That lets them know you are keeping a keen eye on their pricing.
2) Let the shop owner know up front that you've been to many different shops before his. He needs to know that, in your opinion, loyalty is for dogs.
3) Ask intelligent questions when peering over the mechanics shoulder. Things like "are blue vacuum lines better than black ones?" will show them that you are keeping a close track on their performance.
4) If they are tuning your car, try to repeatedly "sing the praises" of the AMS's and Buschur's of the tuning community. Let them know that if you had the money that's who you would really rather have tune your car.
5) Last, but not least, just before leaving the shop make sure the shop owner knows that there is an opportunity for him to provide full sponsorship for your car. Carefully map out your plan to show the car each week at the BnB and the "Y" in Austin. Let him know about the vast amount of business this will bring to his shop and that he will certainly thank you later for the notoriety this will lay upon his doorstep!

Originally Posted by j8
My advise to everyone is simple. When you bring your car to any shop explain your expectations to them. Make sure they understand what you want and how you want it done. If the shop does not meet those expectations tell them. Let them have a chance to correct what ever problem you have. Stuff happens and there is no person or shop in this world that does not make mistakes. If they say that never make mistakes they are full of it. It is to easy to test a shop. First have them do something small. Like install a MBC or something. Look at the work. If you like it have them do something bigger until you feel happy with their work. Continue to let them know your wants. If the mess up see how they recover. Still happy you most likely found the right shop.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Doesn't notoriety mean negative publicity? Being infamous in other words?
Old Dec 6, 2007, 12:53 PM

TH3 STIG-
I too recommend PR. I have been going there the past two years I have owned my Evo. Its heavily modded and the majority of the work has been done there cause I'm not mechanically inclined or very knowledgable in turning wrenches. I have received advice and excellent service from them everytime. Will goes out of his way to help me anytime I call and need help.
The only negatives I have heard about PR is what I have read on here. I've read both sides and believe Will has taken measures to prevent those incidences from happening again. Like I said before, I haven't personally had any negative experiences.
I wouldn't trust anyone else in the city to work on my car. Will not only performs great work but also provides awesome customer service. He's always willing to go out of his way to help the customer. And William's Mini Me (Paul) is great too.
Now, do I get a discount for this or what?? Lol...
Old Dec 6, 2007, 12:59 PM

williams mini me = paul
Old Dec 9, 2007, 06:32 PM

Below is my response to a post on the S2000 forums a few months ago regarding the corner balance performed on MRevo...'s Evo.

First, SoulSpeed has changed ownership. I’ve worked for Bill for a year and a half and did 90% of all work performed at SoulSpeed. The services will remain the same as well as the quality of work, which I believe is superior to most shops.

Second, I won’t pretend to know everything about every vehicle, engine, suspension, tire/wheel set up, stand-alone or what happened to the people at Machu Picchu. I will tell you that I know how to corner balance a car by adding weight to a given corner as to make a 50/50 weight ratio for any given car. I do rely on a little black box to make all necessary calculations as my math skills are horrible. The above post said that I adjusted a shock’s dampening to adjust corner weight, that is incorrect, I would not adjust corner weights in that manner. Adjusting the stiffness of your shocks, on most cars as far as I know, will NOT change a corners weight. What I will do is adjust the perch or spin a coilover’s sleeve to add or subtract weight from a corner depending on the application, of which there are many.

Also, I’m not trying to be an *** by coming to the forum and posting. I just wanted both sides of the story to be out there.

I stand by the work performed on that and every vehicle that comes into SoulSpeed. I am the only Mechanic, Tech, or Greasemonkey at SoulSpeed and I do care and try to make EVERY customer happy to the best of my ability.

I know I as well as many other shops do great work in the Texas region. MZM is one of them.

Check out all the shops in your area, as well as their customers, and decide who you like best.

And, I'm still not trying to be an *** by coming to this forum either.

Collin Stith
SoulSpeed Performance
Austin, TX

Old Dec 9, 2007, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

OOhhhhh man. Here we go. I wasn't going to go into detail on PR or Soulspeed...but I'm not going to let a shop straight up lie about what occurred...

Collin,

I stood there and watched you do it, I questioned why you were doing it that way when the manual that came with the coilovers spefically stated not to. Let me remind you on the response: "That was translated from japanese and probably didn't get translated correctly". So rather than actually admit that you were doing it incorrectly, you defaulted to stating the paperwork was wrong. That is truly inspiring. Not only that...but you then said that there was no way you'd be able to "grab the threaded body and turn it by hand" (a task I did myself with ease after I readjusted the vehicle with the preload reset and the same ride height achieved using the shock body).

The perch that you were using was to adjust the spring's preload. I don't know how to tell you this in any other way--the manufacturer states specifically not to use it to adjust ride height, because it has a limited number of turns available (2 full rotations). Yes...it will adjust right height to an extent, because preload adjusts static sag--but it's supposed to be adjust first, prior to setting the ride height by turning the threaded shock body relative to the base. I had it exactly where I wanted it on all four corners.

It's unfortunate for you that most of the time when I ask questions, I already know the answers and I'm just probing to see how much the person knows themselves. I just didn't have a level area nor electronic scales to do the work myself.

Look--I can't vouch for any of your previous work--but I can vouch for what happened that day. But so you feel a little better about this: EVERYONE--Collin is a great guy and has a great shop--he only screwed up on my car and my car alone. I'm sure that occurance was simply an anomoly.

Oh and here's an excerpt from another thread that talks about this very issue, in case you want to learn what should have been done...

Originally Posted by mrevo2006
Corner balancing is a simple concept. The car weighs what it weighs. The proper way to do it is to get the total weight first. Then get the front, side, and rear weights. These weights are the exact weights of the car, and in reality cannot be changed without removing or moving parts of the car around. (Our cars are going to be roughly 60/40. I've changed the front/rear heights already a couple times and it had no effect on the front/rear weight ratio.)

So, to get what the most ideal weight distribution would be for each tire you would use a simple equation. Take the front weight and multiply by the percentage of each side to get the left and right tires weights, then do the same for the back.

For example, these are the weights of my car when I went in to get corner balanced:

Front (L/R): 1084 + 1007 = 2091 (61%)
Rear (L/R): 675 + 662 = 1337 (39%)
Left side (F/R): 1084 + 675 = 1759 (51%)
Right side (F/R): 1007 + 662 = 1669 (49%)
Total weight = 3428

Here is the way the car should have left (using the above equation):

Front (L/R): 1066 + 1025 = 2091 (61%)
Rear (L/R): 682 + 655 = 1337 (39%)
Left side (F/R): 1066 + 682 = 1748 (51%)
Right side (F/R): 1025 + 655 = 1680 (49%)
Total weight = 3428

This would make the car's corner balance at 49.7 (or 50 rounding up). Notice that the increase or decrease needed at each tire:

LF: - 18 RF: + 18

LR: + 7 RR: - 7

Also notice that the cross weights are both positive or negative. This is because lowering the height at one corner (decreasing the weight) will also decrease the weight at the opposite corner (thereby increasing weight on the other tires).

Now it is still possible to get a 50% cross weight, however per the equation these are merely the ideal numbers for that car. When I got corner weighted, the final equation was a bit different from the one I posted here, not to mention that the final numbers also added up with a two pound difference in total weight. So make sure when you get your car's corner balanced, the guy doing it actually knows the concepts behind it, and doesn't simply use a computerized weight scale to do the "work" for him.

Last edited by belizelittle39439; Dec 9, 2007 at 10:16 PM.