Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Mitsubishi is weak...

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2008, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The brakes would be covered under the 3 year 36 k mile portion of the waranty. The wing is under the "anti corrosion" 10 year? (maybe 8) 100k warranty. That is stupid I know.

My car has 52k on it and I work for a mitsu dealer and I had to B*tch like crazy to get my spoiler replaced. When they finally agreed to, (3 months later) they told me that they would pay for the spoiler but not to paint or install it. So I have a brand new white spoiler in a box at home. They laughed at me when I mentioned my pink calipers.

Mitsu shouldnt have cut the corners in production by having the calipers cleared instead of powder coated in the first place. Oh there is a TSB on it I do believe, but just because there is a TSB doesnt mean it is covered. TSB's are not the same as Recall's.
Old May 14, 2008, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
On top of that they are charging me $180.00 (2 hours labor) on installing the spoiler when they said it would only take about 1 hour (probably less). I asked if they could just charge me the hour. "nope.. we charge by the book even if it takes less time.."
Originally Posted by tbplayer45
As to the issue with the labor times. I am a technician at Don Herring Mitsubishi North and I am the same technician that replaced the spoiler mentioned in a previous post. We are paid on a 100% commission basis. The spoiler in question pays me 1 hour of labor time to replace.
But yet the dealer charges 2 hours. That is shady and poor practice. Good for you and your tools, but that goes for ANY trade. Plumbers, electricians all have expensive tools.

If something is replaced under the TSB there should not be a charge for it at all because it is a manufacturing flaw.

Mitsu turned me down for my calipers and spoiler as well, although they did do the transmision. Thanks I guess.

Never again will I buy a mitsu product.
Old May 14, 2008, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis F
But yet the dealer charges 2 hours. That is shady and poor practice. Good for you and your tools, but that goes for ANY trade. Plumbers, electricians all have expensive tools.

If something is replaced under the TSB there should not be a charge for it at all because it is a manufacturing flaw.

Mitsu turned me down for my calipers and spoiler as well, although they did do the transmision. Thanks I guess.

Never again will I buy a mitsu product.
Firstly, the person in question was not charged 2 hours labor. It is my understanding that he was charged 1 hour labor and then charged for the painting. If he has any questions about that our service manager would be more than happy to discuss that with him. Secondly, I was not using my tools as an excuse to overcharging a customer. It was just an example to show that I have spent my own money in order to complete jobs faster. Technicians should not be punished because they can do a job quickly. Would you rather us drag our feet to complete your car because a job pays 2 hours? Probably not. Thirdly, if there is a recall on your car than the work is free. Because there is a TSB on a certain problem that does not automatically mean that it is free. It is just a bulletin to let the technicians know that there is a known problem and a known fix for that problem. I am sorry that you got turned down on your calipers and spoiler. As I stated before, I have also been turned down on my calipers. However, since you got your transmission warrantied (something that is VERY RARELY warrantied on Evo's) it shows that Mitusubishi does not completely dismiss Evo owners. Never buying a Mitsubishi again is of course your choice. From a technician standpoint I have found that Mitsubishi makes a very reliable car for a very good price.
Old May 14, 2008, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

How long does it take any half-brain gear head to put a spoiler back on? I know it takes me about 5 freaking mins with just a 3/8 wrench and a long socket.
Old May 14, 2008, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

That sucks, especially since I got both my calipers and wing replaced about two or maybe three months ago at the Irving location. My car even had more miles than yours did at the time the work was done
Old May 14, 2008, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sabastian458
The brakes would be covered under the 3 year 36 k mile portion of the waranty. The wing is under the "anti corrosion" 10 year? (maybe 8) 100k warranty. That is stupid I know....
Is this confirmed as true? Or is this only on a dealer-by-dealer basis?
Old May 15, 2008, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by CalebL
Is this confirmed as true? Or is this only on a dealer-by-dealer basis?
I just spoke with my service manager and he says that the calipers and spoiler are both covered under the same 3/36 or 5/60 depending on the warranty that came with your car. Anti Corrosion only covers sheet metal on the car that is rusting from underneath.
Old May 15, 2008, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tbplayer45
I just spoke with my service manager and he says that the calipers and spoiler are both covered under the same 3/36 or 5/60 depending on the warranty that came with your car. Anti Corrosion only covers sheet metal on the car that is rusting from underneath.

well I had mine replaced at 52k miles. warranty labor time for the mechanical portion of the repairs is .4 not 1 hour

I also find it funny that Mitsubishi wont fix my rear trunk from the rust that is under the wing. It was found during the wing replacement. I love my Mitsubishi's but this the 3rd I have owned, 2002 Eclipse Spyder GT, 1992 3000GT VR4, and now 2003 Evo 8 and the warranty repairs have been HORRIBLE to go thru.

Last edited by sabastian458; May 15, 2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old May 15, 2008, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
The clear coat is peeling off one of my brembos as well. But believe me, there's worse things than that. At least we HAVE Brembos.

Once the peeling gets annoying enough for me to bother I'll just take them off, wire brush them clean, then spray with some red (or other choice of color) hi-temp paint. Maybe while I'm at it I'll put my own custom logo on them.

It'll be a fun little project, and the calipers will be personalized to boot!
Ugh... soda or bead blast them - the wire brush will take forever.
Mine aren't peeling, but they're definitely Brownbos now.

FWIW, I was given a knowing look and told when I bought the car that when they turned brown on me, Mitsu wouldn't honor a warranty claim.

2 hours book for a spoiler? Is that for real? Geez... if the rest of the book reads like that, I need to make a career move!
Old May 15, 2008, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

no the book doesnt read that. it clearly states on the TSB that labor time for replacement is .4 hours. paint time is extra
Old May 15, 2008, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by sabastian458
no the book doesnt read that. it clearly states on the TSB that labor time for replacement is .4 hours. paint time is extra
Thanks - I'll keep my day job then!
Old May 15, 2008, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DonMitsu
For a long time Mitsubishi replaced spoilers and calipers no questions asked. If your car is still in warranty they will still do it no questions asked, If you're the original owner they'll stretch a little, but as a general rule Mitsubishi changed their stance on Spoilers and calipers on March 5, 2008. On this date we received the following notice:

We're in a regional meeting this week and have been discussing our goodwill policy on EVO Spoilers and Brembo Calipers...

Bottom line is this, MMNA is closing the window on blanket replacements on these items.

We can continue to replace them as long as the vehicles are under the warranty, and we will replace them on a VERY LIMITED basis once the warranty on these items has expired.

Similar to the black paint vehicles, we're going to limit replacement of these goodwill items to ORIGINAL OWNERS ONLY.

Once a vehicle has been traded / sold / changed hands / and is out of warranty these items will no longer be covered.

From this point forward, please contact me BEFORE you approve any more of these replacements.

As always, should you have any questions, please give me a call!

Regards,

KEVIN SMITH
that's funny, i was denied replacement a long time before march 8th
Old May 15, 2008, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Kemist
that's funny, i was denied replacement a long time before march 8th

Me, too. Schaeller in New Britian said, "No".
Old May 15, 2008, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
--Rant ON--

Earlier this week, I took my Evo8 to Mitsubishi (Don Herring) to see about getting my brake calipers replaced since I started to get the "peeling paint syndrome" on them. IMO, this should have been a TSB. Period.

In any case, I just received word that Mitsu will NOT cover the brake calipers.

Here's the kicker - they WILL cover my spoiler fading.. To me, I'd much rather have the brakes replaced and get the spoiler painted myself.

I will not buy another Mitsu car. Period.

--Rant OFF--

uhh, HELLO u have an '03!!!! warranty was 3yr/36k miles whichever came 1st. '05 & newer got an extension to factory warranty. brakes are considered part of the powertrain. spoiler is covered under the "rust protection" warranty. read your documents instead of yelling at us or Don Herring...
Old May 15, 2008, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

The point of the story here is that Mitsu used cheap paint for the calipers and spoiler. This was a non defect within the first year of the Evo release.

Now all the chowder heads are saying that because we have an 03 we are out of luck. I call bull**** because we (the 03 owners) have been trying for years to get these parts replaced that are known to fail well within the warrenty period.

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi is weak...