Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Don Herring Track Day at MSR Pics and Videos

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2008, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Any club discounts this month?

Looking at the website the 28th is fully open!
Old Jun 8, 2008, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lets do some driving...

Originally Posted by 71pantera
Everyone needs to understand that that kind of driving will end your day early at Apex. Shim and I have talked and we are fine and trust me we do not put up with people holding up traffic. It must be managed from the wall and not from inside your car.

Next date is July 28th. Where are all the EVOs at??

John
Apex
"Where are all the EVOs" is right, Is there any reason we can't get at least 10 EVOs out2play?
Our day w/ Apex was a great success and a spingboard for more,

it remains the most ecnomical playground to learn the limit of your car, (do the math)
as John posted, Apex is keen on instructing safe passing as well as being passed
so its safer than DFW fwys, easier on clutches and drivetrain than autocrossing and dragracing (no launches)
[HP+ brake pads and Prestone Dot4 fluid are a good idea for intermediates and advanced students]

the real question is: what do we do until then???
Old Jun 8, 2008, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Next date is July 28th. Where are all the EVOs at??

John
Apex
Heck yeah! I totally want to do that. I missed the last one. How and where do I sign up and what will it cost?

Until then........ autocross.

Because you're going for time and there is no one in your way so you can go as hard and as fast as you can through the course so it's a real rush.

It's also very beneficial to learn just how hard you can push it in a consequence free environment. If you take the turn too hard or fast - the worst that happens is you hit a few soft rubber cones. Then you know what the car can't do. I've learned a lot about my car that way.

Plus, it really puts a lot of responsibility on (and teaches you) good driving technique. You really do have to slalom properly and apex the turns correctly if you want a good time. And as you improve from one run to the next, you will know if your technique is getting better or not. Especially when running against another car similar to your own -- such as me.

To anyone who comes out to autocross, it will be a good chance for us to compare our times and skills and actually share what techniques work well for shaving time off. Seriously, a great learning opportunity.

Then the next time you go to the track, with your new learned techniques from autocross, you'll be even better.

As for wear and tear -- I don't launch and full throttle in autocross isn't any harder than it is on a freeway on-ramp. You don't typically have to launch off the line because you usually get a bit of a starting run from where you atually start until you hit the starting timer light. Sometimes more than others.

Also, each run is less than 90 seconds, usually closer to 60, so there's not enough time to really kill the brakes or anything else for that matter.

The only real additional wear on the car from what I have experienced is tires and even then it's not that bad.

So what do you say? There's one two weeks from today. Cost like $35.

Last edited by Evo_Someday; Jun 8, 2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by goofygrin
Any club discounts this month?

Looking at the website the 28th is fully open!
We do not have a club discount program. We all have day jobs as well as running Apex and keeping track of the 10 cars from one club thing is a big PITA.

Apex offers the cheapest track time per $$$ already. I bet it is cheaper than auto crossing if you count time on track.

At Apex you get two hours on track with instruction for $205.

John
www.apexdrivingacademy.com

Last edited by 71pantera; Jun 8, 2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 01:52 PM

for those who don't have $250
and don't want to stand in the sun half of the day for their $35

get in touch w/MSR member: (THEY GET NOTHING OUT OF THIS, SO BE NICE)
$20/25min session, as many as the day allows...
there are currently 8-11 evo members-come to NTEC and I'll introduce you-

although...you don't see em around...they seem to be too busy driving than hanging out...
Old Jun 8, 2008, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by DEVO330
for those who don't have $250
and don't want to stand in the sun half of the day for their $35

get in touch w/MSR member: (THEY GET NOTHING OUT OF THIS, SO BE NICE)
$20/25min session, as many as the day allows...
there are currently 8-11 evo members-come to NTEC and I'll introduce you-

although...you don't see em around...they seem to be too busy driving than hanging out...

It is $205 for an Apex day. Sorry guys it was a typo.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 02:57 PM

We do not have a club discount program. We all have day jobs as well as running Apex and keeping track of the 10 cars from one club thing is a big PITA.

Apex offers the cheapest track time per $$$ already. I bet it is cheaper than auto crossing if you count time on track.

At Apex you get two hours on track with instruction for $205.

John
www.apexdrivingacademy.com
Actually ....

AutoX is about 11 cents per second of driving ...
Apex is about 2.8 cents per second of driving ... and it has instruction too.
Members pay about 1.1 cents per second of driving, not including monthly and initial member fee ...

So, coming from a member, this is one hell of a deal ... I would have to go out pretty often to average a cheaper price than what Apex offers, and that still won't include instruction.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

No doubt that autocross does not give the biggest amount of seat time per dollar. However..

In autocross, you can win a "trophy." I have a cool Equipe Rapide coffe mug that says "Trophy winner" on it. Woo hoo! Also in Equipe Rapide they run a PAX event for an extra $10 and the top placers win cash. How many places get paid depends on how many enter. Last time it was the top 10 places that took home cash.

Ok but this is cooler. Don Herring is a contingency sponsor of the 2008 Texas Region Solo. 1st place winner in their class for each event gets $50. The winner in the regional chamiponship gets $500. http://autocross.com/tr/08_DHMitsubi...y_Program2.pdf

The requirements are that you drive a mitsubishi, register for the contingency program, compete with a Don Herring frame on your rear plate, and there must be at least 2 entrants in your class.

Cool eh? You can have fun and win trophies and money.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 01:40 PM
Former Sponsor

They're both great ways to have fun in your car. Thanks for the plug on the contingency program last year we had 3 overall winners in their class that qualified for the $500. It sure would be nice to build on that.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DonMitsu
They're both great ways to have fun in your car. Thanks for the plug on the contingency program last year we had 3 overall winners in their class that qualified for the $500. It sure would be nice to build on that.
No problem! I'm trying to get more evos out there to run with. I enjoy a bit of friendly competition.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 05:53 PM

Cool eh? You can have fun and win trophies and money.[/quote]

We do not have trophies. We do have a title belt!
Old Jun 9, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

kelly, just waiting on you... i hope we can go before my vacation and get some sessions in.

hey guys, lets stay on the topic of pics and videos from msr so the mods dont delete this thread.

justin im downloading that last video now. i think ill try and put my video of me on there too. too bad mine isnt in-car though.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by reggiesd
hey kelly did you get an evo x? nice pics btw!
Thanks and No that was Don's should I call it the "test drive car"?

Originally Posted by reggiesd
that was awesome! was the saleen being a ***** and not letting you guys pass or something?
No he wasn't being a ***** he was trying to pass the same car that I was trying to pass so I could pass him. The funny thing is I signed the Saleen and Vette up for the event. LOL!

Originally Posted by chad99evo
where is my car at justin? lol
I was trying to catch up to you and PlanoEvo. As you can see I was doing everything I could (Although it is highly prohibited at Apexi to do this.) to pass those guys and catch up to you and PalnoEvo. Next time I only want Evo's in front of me.

Last edited by Shimanchu; Jun 10, 2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:12 AM

chill'n under the heat

Originally Posted by Shimanchu
I was trying to catch up to you and PlanoEvo. As you can see I was doing everything I could (Although it is highly prohibited at Apexi to do this.) to pass those guys and catch up to you and PalnoEvo. Next time I only want Evo's in front of me.
passing one car ain't bad,
but when tailing a pack, Apex teaches its best to pull into the pit and wait for the open track or group cars of similar skill level...
I usually take that opportunity to get a second wind...tighten my lap belt (change my underwear if necessary)..

Last edited by DEVO330; Jun 10, 2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like fun! Great pics, I'll check the vids later.

Quick Reply: Don Herring Track Day at MSR Pics and Videos