Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

License Plate & Registration Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
License Plate & Registration Question

A few months ago, I sold my A70 to a guy that lives around the corner. Today, I ran into him. Hes did a great job with getting the car back up to par. I noticed that he still has the same license plates that I was using. I read somewhere I was suppose to take the plates before I let him go with the car, but I thought nothing of it. My question is, if he still running around with the license plate number I was using, did he ever get the car changed into his name? Is it possible he registered the car in his name, but still has the same plate numbers in Texas? I don't want this guy going around ****ing **** up and its all still in my name...

If that is the case, I will ask him for the plates tomorrow...
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

I do believe it is possible to buy a car and register it in your name while keeping the same plates on it. But that's no issue either way.

All you need to do is file a VTR-346 also known as a "Texas Motor Vehicle Transfer Notification".

* You must submit this form within 30 days of the vehicle's date of sale to help protect yourself from liability for criminal or civil acts involving the vehicle and the buyer(s).

* When you submit this form, the motor vehicle record will be marked to show the vehicle has been sold.

* The more information you provide about the buyer(s), the more protection you may have from liability for the vehicle.

*Mail completed form to: TxDOT Vehicle Titles and Registration Division, PO Box 26417, Austin, TX 78755-0417

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/txdotefor...vletConfig.xml
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:28 PM

Yeah, its been more than 30 days...

Would this mean I am **** out of luck?

The buyer let me take a copy of his license and we both signed a Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale...
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

You might be able to file it anyway past the 30 day mark to protect yourself. You should ask them if you can do that. Just keep in mind there is a small filing fee for the form -- but it would bo so very worth it to cover yourself.

But if it is too late to file then at least you have a copy of the signed bill of sale so that if the cops ever come banging on your door you have a "get out of jail free" card to prove it wasn't you.

That's really all you can legally do. You can't force the guy to register it and it's probably not worth the hassle of trying to take the plates back now.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

There's no filing fee for the form (I'm filling one out now for a vehicle we traded in about a year ago - just rec'd a registration renewal notice on it). :|

Even if it's past the 30 days, you can go and submit the form online (or print it out and mail it)- just do it. As I read it, the 30 day timeframe is to ensure you have protection from liability if the new owner does something stupid with it; you may still submit the form after 30 days, but do not have the same protection from liability as if you submitted in 30 days.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrMTB
There's no filing fee for the form.
Oh ok. I was thinking about that part on the title that you tear off and mail in for a small fee when you sign it over to someone.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

As far as the plate it usually only changes if you register it after the due date or if you get it from the dealer. However when he changes the title into his name which is what you need to be worried about everything will be transfered to him.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by slvrr
As far as the plate it usually only changes if you register it after the due date or if you get it from the dealer. However when he changes the title into his name which is what you need to be worried about everything will be transfered to him.
If he transfers everything into his name, the plate number will stay the same or should not stay the same?
Old Sep 13, 2008, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

It could be either way. A new registration generates a new plate, a change of registrant name would keep the plate. Fill out the form online and protect yourself either way. When I spoke to TxDot about it, they suggested that everyone should fill out the form anytime they get rid of a vehicle...