Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Pics and Video of La Grave Field

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2008, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a maxqdata system in my car as well as just a sony digital camera on a $18 best buy suction cup mount.

I wrote a piece of software to take the maxqdata data and put it on the video.

A $200 alternative is TrackVision.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 07:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goofygrin
And the Fair's Evo X MR is doing quite nicely ~.300 off of the winner in STU for Terry and an impressive win in the Womens class by 1.3 seconds vs a nice C4 vette for Amy.

Next year is going to be a fun year for the Evos in autocross!
Its not our car but Brian Hanchey's (the other owner here at Vorshlag). He couldn't make it out that day so we borrowed it and ran the Le Grave event. As you can see the EVO X's stock suspension is so soft, but damn that SST transmission mojo really works on this MR.

Absolutely terrible stock handling, but so are most cars with untouched suspensions. At least we got the first set of AST 4200s for it finally built, and our first set of EVO X Vorshlag camber plates are days away. Paul Magyar (he was racing the 2005 STI below, and won STU in it) has since sold the car and bought a 2008 STI. We're building the first set of 4200s ever for it as well. He's going to get it STU prepped over the winter and try for another Nationals trophy, as well as give it a go in NASA TTB class racing.

Jason McCall in Paul's 2005 STI. The last event for these two in that car together...

Paul's 2005 parked in grid next to Rizzo's 2008 STI. Paul drove the 08 once, and bought one the next day.

So far I'm not impressed with the GTR. Too big and too heavy for this sport, and on the road course it was a good 15 seconds a lap slower than "our little BMW" and about on par with Hanchey in the stock EVO X. Lots of power, for sure, but lots of road hugging weight.

Last edited by Fair; Nov 19, 2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Wait, Paul sold his STi and bought a new crappy one?

In the 4 days since the event?

Wow. Just. Wow.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 08:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Wait, Paul sold his STi and bought a new crappy one?

In the 4 days since the event?
Within 24 hours of the event, actually...

Wow. Just. Wow.
Well, I admit I helped talk him into it a little. His 2005 was "rode hard and put up wet" and was starting to show its age. Even with ~60K miles it was on its 2nd motor/turbo and 3rd transmission. Remember: its not a Mitsubishi product we're talking about.

We've already built and tested 2008 STIs and they are much lighter than their Mitsu brethren of the same year models (we'll weigh Paul's car as soon as he runs the fuel out of it, but other's we've tested were in the low 3200 pound range). Still, its going to take a lot of work on his 08 to catch up to the well sorted (and multi-time trophying) setup 05 he had. He's finally dropping his ghetto shock tendencies and using ASTs this time, so it should not be a jackhammer on his daily commute this time 'round.

The local STU diversity should be pretty interesting next year. We've got a gaggle of local ST* drivers going with new AST set-ups next year, which will be fun to watch.

Last edited by Fair; Nov 20, 2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

STU will be very interesting next year for sure... unfortunately I think I'm going to be middle back of the pack Maybe I'll move to BSP
Old Nov 20, 2008, 08:36 AM
Former Sponsor

STU will be very interesting next year for sure... unfortunately I think I'm going to be middle back of the pack Maybe I'll move to BSP
Nah, stick with STU. You'll learn more a LOT more running with national caliber drivers in that class than you will in an un/under-attended class like BSP. There are at least 6 people in the Tex Region that have trophied or won championships in STU - its always a good gauge. If you can win STU locally you definitely have a shot at a trophy at Nats.

Winning a BSP class of 1 will not help you grow at all...

Last edited by Fair; Nov 20, 2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Winning BSP in a class of 2 nets me $50 (if Don Herring keeps the contingency program next year).

But yes, having a real yardstick to gauge progress with is much better than guessing. Plus BSP = more money spent and rcomps, which is something I want to avoid for now.