Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Ft Hood Evo Check-in

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2010, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heyyyyyyyy **** you carlos damm texas deserved the title lol...
Old Jan 8, 2010, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evostacio
heyyyyyyyy **** you carlos damm texas deserved the title lol...
Lol, then they should have taken it from Alabama.
A win is a win man

___
Carlos Tirado
Tirado Custom Coatings
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:52 AM

Wanted to get the Hood's opinion on the Glow Shift Gauges... I just cant spend close to a Grand on the Defi and some of the other brands. I gave them in my spyder and there nice for my blue and black theme. My evo is a black on blue theme give me your opinions. PM or on here. Also if anyone has a 3.5 black intercooler Pref ETS for sale let me know!!!

OIF1-???
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

just get the stri gauges they are like defi replicas and work pretty badass.. im sure you can get them in blue
Old Jan 10, 2010, 05:05 PM

looking for a stock hood and front bumper evo 8or9
Old Jan 10, 2010, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hammilljr
Wanted to get the Hood's opinion on the Glow Shift Gauges... I just cant spend close to a Grand on the Defi and some of the other brands. I gave them in my spyder and there nice for my blue and black theme. My evo is a black on blue theme give me your opinions. PM or on here. Also if anyone has a 3.5 black intercooler Pref ETS for sale let me know!!!

OIF1-???
Defi are expensive but they work great IMO, GlowShifts are not that good and feel very cheap. I baught some for the GT and didnt like them one bit. Most vendors give military discounts also so they wont be that expensive. One thing I learned is not to go cheap on your car. Do it right the first time so you wont regret it later.

Originally Posted by luckysoob
looking for a stock hood and front bumper evo 8or9
Check the part out section I seen a couple of cars with the parts you are looking for.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by monkey_187
One thing I learned is not to go cheap on your car. Do it right the first time so you wont regret it later.
+1 Learned that one the hard way...
Old Jan 10, 2010, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hammilljr
Wanted to get the Hood's opinion on the Glow Shift Gauges... I just cant spend close to a Grand on the Defi and some of the other brands. I gave them in my spyder and there nice for my blue and black theme. My evo is a black on blue theme give me your opinions.
When it comes down to gauges for the typical daily driver, boost, oil pressure, and A/F is the set most recommended and/or preferred. I have the GS gauges in my car and they serve their purpose. Now you'll find those guys that have every gauge under the sun (i.e. - boost, A/F, oil pressure, EGT, water, weather, shoe size, zodiac, lottery numbers, etc.) that want to have everything measured as if they were taking a chemistry final examination, trying to blind themselves when the sun goes down, or make their cars look faster. Install the gauges correctly and don't take any shortcuts. I'd simply recommend that regardless of the route you chose, digital is the way. It's like comparing timing belts and paying for the name instead of the product. Why does an HKS timing belt cost more than say, a Gates timing belt or HKS cam gears over, say "x" brand? Don't they do the same and have the same measurements? Are they made of any material vastly superior over the next? I'd argue that it's not.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 08:28 PM

"just for the sake of having a conversation"
Lets compare Hks 272 vs XXX 272
why is hks more? Overall better engineered, better qc, and makes more power!
Even though the durations are both 272 , it's the fact that the hks have longer lifts. (in general)
Eagle rods vs Cosworth
Same thing they are just more experienced in the field of machining Monster Cars not to mention they have a reputation of being one of the best.
Simply put it... it's just not the name it's the fact that they earned it!
If you were mechanic and gets paid 100/hr vs some joe blow gets payed the 80/hr
You both do the same job, but you know your shizz don't stink.

Back to the topic though
GS blows imo
I've seen their sensors go bad, not even working out of the box, and other misc crap I can't remember.

Pureevo is right on purpose vs looks, but it's your car though. If you like gauges everywhere so be it! As long as you're happy ya know?
Honestly I have 1 gauge right now and installing another 2 as soon as I figure out my wiring disaster.
1. Turbosmart Eboost 2 EBC - acts as a boost gauge/boost controller
2. (going in) HKS A/F Knockamp- It's a little display that shows my knock,wideband
3. Hks Navigator- Shows you your everything else LOL in a tiny screen

Last edited by bankaiup; Jan 10, 2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bankaiup
"just for the sake of having a conversation"
Lets compare Hks 272 vs XXX 272. why is hks more? Overall better engineered, better qc, and makes more power! Even though the durations are both 272 , it's the fact that the hks have longer lifts. (in general)
Eagle rods vs Cosworth. Same thing they are just more experienced in the field of machining Monster Cars not to mention they have a reputation of being one of the best. Simply put it... it's just not the name it's the fact that they earned it! If you were mechanic and gets paid 100/hr vs some joe blow gets payed the 80/hr. You both do the same job, but you know your shizz don't stink.

Back to the topic though
GS blows imo
I've seen their sensors go bad, not even working out of the box, and other misc crap I can't remember. Pureevo is right on purpose vs looks, but it's your car though. If you like gauges everywhere so be it! As long as you're happy ya know? Honestly I have 1 gauge right now and installing another 2 as soon as I figure out my wiring disaster.

1. Turbosmart Eboost 2 EBC - acts as a boost gauge/boost controller
2. (going in) HKS A/F Knockamp- It's a little display that shows my knock,wideband
3. Hks Navigator- Shows you your everything else LOL in a tiny screen
Also, for the sake of conversation, it's like buying a Cosworth 2.2L engine for over $5K and not getting the Buschur 2.3L engine for just over $3K. So "the simple name" manufacturing thesis has a hole in it. Or HKS 272 cams costing more that the Kelford 272 cams when the Kelfords are cheaper and make more power. Who knows why the gauges you know failed. For the daily driver folks, and assuming that Defi gauges measure 100% accurate all of the time and say, cost $150 per gauge (for example), I'd take a GS gauge that measures about 95% accuracy at $100 per gauge. I'm just cheap. I promise not to comment on this again.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

i was gonna say the same thing kelford cams have been proven to be better than hks cams but yet hks cost more... one very good point.. my **** pulls hard from 60 to 120 thats where i win most of my races lol.. but also that gauge i showed you pure evo dude is the stri it honestly reads accurate as ****..

aem gauges are pretty good too..
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by monkey_187

Check the part out section I seen a couple of cars with the parts you are looking for.
yea I was just seeing if someone had them locally...I doubt anyone wants to ship a hood or bumper
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

You guys have to remember your buying the name. HKS is Japan made so it is considered an import company and parts. HKS and Gates belts are different cause one is Kevlar the other is not. Timing gears should be the same degrees but one is of aluminum and others are made of aluminum alloy.

Guages are something you want to read the way they are suppost to. The wrong reading and the your car can be FUBAR'ed. Thats how guys spin bearings or run lean, rich or boost too much. I didnt wantto worry about any of that so I went with Defi, expensive, yes but I knew that I had my car covered. I never worried about malfunctions, I was putting 470whp.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 06:25 PM

anyone have a boost leak tester I can borrow?
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TEMP Evo Driver Needed

Going under the knife tomorrow. I'll be down for about a month! No Evoing... other than here and on NFS Carbon. This sucks!! Holla at yall when I can. Peace!! Evo up

Quick Reply: Ft Hood Evo Check-in