Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Ft Hood Evo Check-in

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm the guy that's trying to get rid of the EVO, but i don't see why it's such a big deal about asking for opinions. even it's from the local subs. i haven't been in this scene for very long and i guess this particular EVO has had some bad luck which isn't a great first impression. it's not set in stone that i am getting rid of it. i'm just testing the waters. after my little fender bender, i kinda stopped my attention with it. also, i've asked for help from this thread, but no one has tried to help so i stopped my activity on here. i'm not here to bash on anyone or start any drama. don't get me wrong i love the car, it's fun and i actually feel safe driving it. i just need some guidance and maybe...someone can persuade me to reconsider selling it.

Last edited by vuqdao; Mar 22, 2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^Run e85 and that'll be enough to change your mind!
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:55 AM

No noubt has that crossed my mind. It's just scarce. Although it may be nice to have more, but it's not lacking power
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vuqdao
i'm the guy that's trying to get rid of the EVO, but i don't see why it's such a big deal about asking for opinions. even it's from the local subs. i haven't been in this scene for very long and i guess this particular EVO has had some bad luck which isn't a great first impression. it's not set in stone that i am getting rid of it. i'm just testing the waters. after my little fender bender, i kinda stopped my attention with it. also, i've asked for help from this thread, but no one has tried to help so i stopped my activity on here. i'm not here to bash on anyone or start any drama. don't get me wrong i love the car, it's fun and i actually feel safe driving it. i just need some guidance and maybe...someone can persuade me to reconsider selling it.
First you need to ask yourself what you expect/want from the car ie...minor mods and daily driveablilty, 1/4 mile racing, road racing etc. If you are looking for a nice comfortable DD with some minor mods I would go with a Subaru. If you actually want to make some power and not spend an arm and a leg I would go with an Evo.

Before you do anything I would make sure all gremlins are fixed regardless if you decide to keep it. You may find out that it's cheaper to fix what you have and go from there.

As far as opinions your are going to get biased opinions from both camps. I personally was set to get Subby a few years back until I read about and saw there problems first hand and I decided for the best option was the Evo. Good luck.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:38 AM
Evolving Member

Didn't Kid help u with your transfer case when u first got your car? Other than that I'm pretty sure one us attempted to answer all your questions. If u feel Evo's are bad cars because u bought a lemon u have every right to feel that way and i speak about the Subaru guys here from my experience with them. Others can agree that not many of them are very knowledgeable at all. I'll give u another example here, stikris on their forum has a fully built motor with a 35r and ran low 12's and only trapped 114. I trapped 114 with a stock turbo , stock motor , bolt ons and e85. He then ran like 11.8 or 11.7 with race gas, if that ain't weaksauce then idk what is. It's sad but from what I've read he is the fastest who posts there. Also the sti motors are weak once u get around 400hp your already greatly endangering the rod bearings. If that's what u Wanna sign up for go ahead or u can get an Evo X and don't buy a raped used one and have a big boy car that will rape them in all categories
Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boost_Inspired
Didn't Kid help u with your transfer case when u first got your car? Other than that I'm pretty sure one us attempted to answer all your questions. If u feel Evo's are bad cars because u bought a lemon u have every right to feel that way and i speak about the Subaru guys here from my experience with them. Others can agree that not many of them are very knowledgeable at all. I'll give u another example here, stikris on their forum has a fully built motor with a 35r and ran low 12's and only trapped 114. I trapped 114 with a stock turbo , stock motor , bolt ons and e85. He then ran like 11.8 or 11.7 with race gas, if that ain't weaksauce then idk what is. It's sad but from what I've read he is the fastest who posts there. Also the sti motors are weak once u get around 400hp your already greatly endangering the rod bearings. If that's what u Wanna sign up for go ahead or u can get an Evo X and don't buy a raped used one and have a big boy car that will rape them in all categories
Ive been around for a little while also and everytime Ive needed some ones help yall have been more then happy to.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Forgot to add I trapped 114 with 4 boost leaks
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:37 AM

i'm not saying EVOs are bad cars. they're badass cars. i love my evo. and yes kid has helped me with popping out a stubborn axle. and i've asked a few times for help on my timing belt. but i still haven't replaced it at 66,xxx miles now. yeah, i bought a lemon, but i attended to the faults. i'm just trying to get something BRAND new. and i'm not trying for subaru because mitsu is bad. i don't want you guys to think i'm looking for a STI because EVO are bad. that's not what i'm saying. also i'm not trying to squeeze out all the power i can out of it. i'm not going for the world's 1/4 mile record.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:54 AM

i'm also looking into the evo x
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

^^I personally have never done a timing belt but if you do some research on it Im sure it cant be that hard, Im doing my cams soon and as soon as I give that a whirl I can lend you a hand. Someone is helping me out, Im pretty sure if no one helped you out before its because they couldnt at the time.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:42 AM

Are you the one selling the red VIII with JMS rebuilt because of the front got smashed?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:51 AM

^^nah
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by ssg_petty_210
You know I'm down as soon as my clutch gets replaced. Stupid crap took a poop on me lol. It wont be replaced until April sometime along with my E85 tune. I'll have to run at the track down there as well. Me, you and stacio can hit out 11's. Kid can run his 9's lol.

Yeah soon as I get back going to be dropping a **** load on that triple clutch from Exedy can't believe its so expensive. I can buy another turbo setup with that price maybe even two of them. I believe this is going to be the most expensive part on my evo other then the ams 2.3 stroker
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by WhItEVIII
^^I personally have never done a timing belt but if you do some research on it Im sure it cant be that hard, Im doing my cams soon and as soon as I give that a whirl I can lend you a hand. Someone is helping me out, Im pretty sure if no one helped you out before its because they couldnt at the time.
I'm sure its not that hard, but having someone that's competent enough to turn some wrenches would help drastically
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thomas.featsent
Yeah soon as I get back going to be dropping a **** load on that triple clutch from Exedy can't believe its so expensive. I can buy another turbo setup with that price maybe even two of them. I believe this is going to be the most expensive part on my evo other then the ams 2.3 stroker
Yeah, those prices are no joke lol. I need to start playing the lotto lol.

Quick Reply: Ft Hood Evo Check-in