Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Ft Hood Evo Check-in

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2011, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends on what you are using the cams for. You need to decide if you are planning to build the head with retainers and springs or going with a turbo swap or just staying with minor bolt ons. No one likes to buy twice.

The HKS cams are pretty good. I started off with a 272I/264E. It was a super lopy idle but the bigger intake cam to me made it feel like boost cam on quicker. I was hitting 22psi in first with just an intake/tbe/93/and the cams. I liked the fact that I didnt have to build the head to run the HKS cams. I then went with the 280s. I got them for $200 so I couldnt complain. I made 400/360 with the 280s on 93.

Now Im on the BF272s but I have a built head and a big turbo. They have a nasty, choppy lope that I like and carries power to my 9k shift point.

Basically figure out what you want from the car before you go buy cam a for $500 over cam b for $900 if you really needed cam c for $555
Old May 19, 2011, 01:51 AM
Evolving Member

Yeapppp I also had 272 hks. Then went to kelfprd 272 was big difference
Old May 19, 2011, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Boost_Inspired
just because u liked ur cams doesnt mean they are the best bang for ur buck. They are overpriced and dont give no where near as good results as many other brand cams. Ill keep my statement and I'll stand by it HKS are trash and I rarely see ppl bu them anymore.
Ah man. Here we go again. No where did I ever state that the HKS grinds are the best bang for your buck. No cam grind can make this claim. If you read what I posted (not to mention what others have recently said), it all depends on what type of environment (i.e. street, drag, autocross) "x" person wants to use their EVO for. This should be the determining factor for all purchased upgrades. Yes, I liked the HKS cams. I bought my EVO in late 2003 and the HKS cams were the hot ticket item back then and were in close competition with the old GSC grinds before they produced the GSC S1s, S2s, and S3s were even made. As time progressed, I changed from the HKS grinds to the GSC grinds based on the differences in profiles and how the use for my EVO changed. This was nearly nine years ago and then are plenty of cam grinds that have since hit the market. Buying an EVO now and selecting a cam of choice, the HKS grind pales in comparison to what is currently on the market. This is why you do not see people buying them these days as they are being beat by the competition. Based on your join date of 2007, there were plenty of cam grinds to chose from that are superior to the old HKS grinds (i.e. BF272, GSC S2, Tomei, Kelford) and if this is what you are basing your "they are garbage" comments on, then you would have a point.
Old May 19, 2011, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

why is the last part cut off lol
Old May 19, 2011, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pure_evo
Ah man. Here we go again. No where did I ever state that the HKS grinds are the best bang for your buck. No cam grind can make this claim. If you read what I posted (not to mention what others have recently said), it all depends on what type of environment (i.e. street, drag, autocross) "x" person wants to use their EVO for. This should be the determining factor for all purchased upgrades. Yes, I liked the HKS cams. I bought my EVO in late 2003 and the HKS cams were the hot ticket item back then and were in close competition with the old GSC grinds before they produced the GSC S1s, S2s, and S3s were even made. As time progressed, I changed from the HKS grinds to the GSC grinds based on the differences in profiles and how the use for my EVO changed. This was nearly nine years ago and then are plenty of cam grinds that have since hit the market. Buying an EVO now and selecting a cam of choice, the HKS grind pales in comparison to what is currently on the market. This is why you do not see people buying them these days as they are being beat by the competition. Based on your join date of 2007, there were plenty of cam grinds to chose from that are superior to the old HKS grinds (i.e. BF272, GSC S2, Tomei, Kelford) and if this is what you are basing your "they are garbage" comments on, then you would have a point.
You are pretty much arguing with yourself at this point thanks though
Old May 20, 2011, 12:11 AM
Evolving Member

imma stick with i like to go fast lol
Old May 21, 2011, 10:08 AM

nice evos keep them on coming
Old May 26, 2011, 02:27 PM

its nice to see everyone's still really involved up at hood, i was only there for about two weeks last august. I get back from deployment in a couple months so cant wait to get back into the scene again.
Old May 27, 2011, 01:00 PM

Just traded me civic EK in for an evo 9. I loved my civic but I have been wanting an evo for about 9 years now. Just a few quick qustions about the evo. Shifting into gear is really stiff is this within the norm. The car is all stock as far as I can tell. I have driven a stick all my life, and my evo by far seems to have the stiffest shifting I have ever felt.
Old May 27, 2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by fewall11b
Just traded me civic EK in for an evo 9. I loved my civic but I have been wanting an evo for about 9 years now. Just a few quick qustions about the evo. Shifting into gear is really stiff is this within the norm. The car is all stock as far as I can tell. I have driven a stick all my life, and my evo by far seems to have the stiffest shifting I have ever felt.
IMO my evo has the stiffest a transmission i've ever driven... every other manual car seems so effortless to drive after having my evo for 3 years now.
Old May 27, 2011, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

congrats on the new car , and yes our trannies are known for being a little stiff/notchy but changing the fluid will help. I personally like the amsoil transmission fluid.
Old May 27, 2011, 04:20 PM

Do you guys do any types of meet ups? I havn't seen too many evos around here. I took a look around here on the forums and what your saying seems to the norm when shifting gears. I can put my mind at ease I guess. My evo is all stock right now looking to do some upgrades here soon. What do you guys think? I was just going to go with hard pipes, innercooler, air intake, turbo timer to start with. While I have messed around with a few cars I'm pretty uneducated about the evo. Mostly I have only messed around with hondas and srt-4s.
Old May 27, 2011, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Do you guys do any types of meet ups? I havn't seen too many evos around here. I took a look around here on the forums and what your saying seems to the norm when shifting gears. I can put my mind at ease I guess. My evo is all stock right now looking to do some upgrades here soon. What do you guys think? I was just going to go with hard pipes, innercooler, air intake, turbo timer to start with. While I have messed around with a few cars I'm pretty uneducated about the evo. Mostly I have only messed around with hondas and srt-4s.
every friday there is a decent meet in Harker Heights , if u wanna meet up and roll out or somethin give me a call 254-289-6575 or u can just meet me up there around 9ish. It used to be at the new target in heights but now its up by that closed down furniture store across from first national and stuff I forgot the name.
Old May 27, 2011, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just a few quick qustions about the evo. Shifting into gear is really stiff is this within the norm. The car is all stock as far as I can tell. I have driven a stick all my life, and my evo by far seems to have the stiffest shifting I have ever felt.
Yes. You will feel a significant difference as far as "feel" is concerned between your old Honda and your new EVO. In my old Del Sol, I could almost put the car in gear with my pinky finger but with the EVO, it takes a bit more effort. This does not bother me though. Once you get yourself a short throw shifter, new shifter cables, and new shifter bushings, you will be more than happy with how she performs. Also, I would look into changing out the tranny and transfer case fluids as you never know how long it has been since the last time.

You are in good hands there in CenTex as there is a pretty nice following of EVO guys for you to bond with. When you get ready to upgrade the only thing I would recommend is to take your time doing research and do things right the first time.
Old May 28, 2011, 01:39 AM
Evolving Member

had alot of fun tonight , had a few runs on the highway to top the night off

Quick Reply: Ft Hood Evo Check-in