Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Ft Hood Evo Check-in

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2009, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It all comes down to leadership.

When I first arrived at Fort Hood we were 6 months out from deployment. We deployed with 14 Soldiers from my MOS,. Ten of them were intent of getting out. They hated the Army, involuntarily extended, couldn't get promoted, etc.

Then we got down range, I took over as the NCOIC and Platoon Sergeant. Things really turned around. All but two of them reenlisted, one went off to get married and the other was a **** poor "leader" who needed to get out anyway. I had one Soldier go from E-4 to E-6 in less then 12 months. All of this while we were stuck on the long tour (15 months).

Yes, there is a lot of BS in the Army, but good leaders make the difference. Leaders have to ask themselves why they choose to stay and what motivates them to put on their uniform every day. For me the answer has always been my Soldiers, I don't do this for me, I do it for them.

Just my 2 cents.
Old May 5, 2009, 02:54 PM

yeah... my buddy from my old platoon did everything for his troops... well, just rread the article.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...033001352.html

first paragraph says what you just said.
Old May 5, 2009, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by soceur77
Hey guys, I arrived in Taji last night via a smooth ride courtesy of catfish air. The heat isnt bad yet as I havent broken a sweat yet other then when I was carrying all my bags off the helo in full gear...lol They have us in a decent place for now until I get my own hooch. At least the showers are in the same building, (which i slipped and busted my *** in last night) damn 99 cent aafes flip flops for the loss. I never seen so many ppl so happy to see a 1st Cav patch. I guess they realize they are really about to go home....damn bastatrds, im jealous already...lol Well on second thought I need some evo cash To you guys getting out, talk to some of the guys that have done just that before you do. I have heard plaenty of horror stories of guys getting out because of the BS here and there and ran right into some of the same BS at there current employment, and thats once they could even get a job. EVOGR8 i hear ya on being on the officer side. I think thats the only way I would survive this tour. Im a panzy when it came to doing thigs on the enlisted side Its just a different Army.... Well holla at you guys later! Oh and xfactor if I was to realize it was you that pulled me over, I would just chuck the deauces and speed off...lol Ill save this page for a record of intent to discrimenate against evo owners for use in court later in the future
You're already in Taji?! Damn, I left before you and I'm still in Kuwait. Stupid helicopters are slowing us down. Well that's cool, glad you made it okay. I guess I'll see you soon over there, I can't wait to get out of here!
Old May 5, 2009, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoG8r
Contracting is very lucrative, but just a pain to get those jobs right now and they are cutting back on pay because they can due to the economy. Overall, after 20 years I'll get money for the rest of my life and I have a very good health care plan.

The Army experience is what you make of it. I have used the Army to get everything I ever wanted on there tab (masters degree, professional experience). For what I do, it is very hard to be put in these positions of responsibility at such an early age. That will give me a huge advantage when I get out. After I graduted with my BA I worked in the civilian work force for a few years making decent money, but not able to get promoted because you had to really kiss a$$ for it. In my experience, the Army always gave me a fairly clear path to work with. The same goes for my Soldiers. We know how many points they need and if they deserve to be promoted. We get them to the board, WLC, corro courses, civilian ed, troop schools, etc so we can advance their careers. If they don't like finance, we get them reclassed into something else.

It all comes down to taking charge of your career a supportive chain of command.

Monkey, I totally understand where you are coming from. I hated that when I was enlisted, but I didn't let that stop me from taking advantage of all the opportunities with in the Army.

Sorry to play devils advocate.

I see what you are saying about the contract jobs and the pay cuts, That is what my friend took home after the pay cut Ill take $180K. Good leaders are REALLY hard to find, but kiss a$$es are always around and they are theones that advance the fastest. I seen soldiers straight out of AIT as an E-3 come back as an E-5 cause he could remember a book. He doesnt know $hit, they are quick to send these board babies to get promoted but not the ones that have earned it.

Originally Posted by sith_killer_99
It all comes down to leadership.

I had one Soldier go from E-4 to E-6 in less then 12 months. All of this while we were stuck on the long tour (15 months).

Yes, there is a lot of BS in the Army, but good leaders make the difference. Leaders have to ask themselves why they choose to stay and what motivates them to put on their uniform every day. For me the answer has always been my Soldiers, I don't do this for me, I do it for them.

Just my 2 cents.
That was probly a soldier that is what the Army calls "high speed". He was quick to lear a book and answers, not having any leadership schools is what gets me. A soldier can get promoted without WLC, PLDC, or BNOC with waivers. I dont agree with that, sorry. Some people are born leaders others arent, how is it that they are quick to promote but not demote?

ALL OF THIS IS MY OPINION
Old May 5, 2009, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Its our job as leaders to develop those with potential to lead. Xfactor, it breaks my heart to read that. Is that what the retention counselor told you? Me and my NCOs have gotten deals worked out for almost all our Soldiers, but we are finance. It seems if you can't reclass, then I would also get out in your situation. You COULD always come back in and get whatever you want.

My nieghbors are all contractors, I might be able to get you some places to start looking... but these guys all work locally at Ft Hood and go TDY all the time.
Old May 5, 2009, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by xfactor evo
lol... you guys are funny. thats part of reason why i am leaving the army... time to go to a profession that employs professionals... like the dps troopers... then i can run you guys down in your evos and impound your cars and buy it cheap at the auction. LOL
Originally Posted by eldiablo79
Yeah I'm done with the military after this. It's been nothing but a disappointment coming back in. I tried to adapt but nothing worked, so I'm done after this deployment. It's time to do something else for a living that doesn't require so much BS.
Originally Posted by EvoG8r
As an officer, I just do whatever the f#$k I want. I used to hate all that crap when I was enlisted! Now Levar, I just don't understand why you would need to dummy cord your weapon. The hot water thing just sucks too. I always showered around lunch so I wouldn't have to deal with that problem. Once you get settled in, just think of all care packages of crap you'll get from people you never heard of!
Originally Posted by monkey_187
ALL OF THIS IS MY OWN OPINION

Time for me to put my .2 cents in as far as staying in or getting out:

As for me f**k the BS that comes with the Amry, I have been in another branch of military service so yes I can say that. The Army lets soldiers that kiss a$$ get away with so much crap! I was never in a position where its always "do this, do that" and not a single person knows what going on. Too many chiefs not enough indians IMO.

As an officer or senior enlisted the BS or pay isnt worth it to mee, you will always have to answer to someone unless you ar at the top of the food chain.

I have a friend that went out to Iraq as a civilian contractor made over $180K take home. That was for one year, the first three months he spend just waiting for and opening. He was sitting in Iraq collecting money to go eat at the chow hall and use the internet for three months. I would say what compay he worked for but I need his permission to say.

I dnt know about everyone else but I would rather spend 5.5 years in Iraq and be a millionare then to spend 20 years in the Army putting up with BS.
Fellahs, when it comes to getting out of the Army, I just recently started having these thoughts. My main reason is because I want to spend as much time with my family as possible and stop missing one-year chunks of their lives that I will never get compensated for. Since 2004, this is my fourth deployment. I was in Qatar for OIF I. I was in Mosul for OIF III. I was in Taji for OIF VI. And now I'm on my way back to Taji for Round Four. You have jokers sitting pretty with no deployments whatsoever and that puts a sour taste in my mouth. I mean, we've been at "war" since 2002 and there are some still walking around with nothing on their right shoulder. I'm sitting at 13 years looking at a promotion to CW3 in about four months and that is not enough for me as it is my family that struggles in the midst of all of my deploying. They are the ones that need my Purple Heart, not me. We, Soldiers, get PTSD but I'm willing to bet that family members suffer the same fate. IMO, Soldiers (regardless of MOS) should be the highest paid people around and screw the whole "closing the pay gap" talk. When we're dodging bullets and kicking down doors in the middle of the night, those jokers are relaxing at the house in front of the fireplace drinking hot cocoa. Something is wrong with this picture. And then there is always some crazy legislation preventing military family members from getting ahead (i.e. - GI Bill delegated to spouse/dependents) which I still can't understand what the problem is to get it approved fully with no tricky wording. Yes, I'm on the officer side of the house and things are relatively smooth as far as the "stupid crap" factor and I'm glad of that. If, after this deployment, my Branch Manager doesn't send me/my family to someplace where I can take a knee, I'm throwing the 'ole deuces, taking my Intel experience as a CW3, along with my Master's degree in Political-Military studies, and hitting the road. Thank you Uncle Sam! For those of you considering getting out, the Army is the nicest thing smoking these days as far as job security and benefits. Where else can you have a crappy day, get your butt tore up by some General Officer, take a shower, and come in the next day as if nothing ever happened? Medical. Dental. Housing. Rations. Clothing. Retirement. All of these things have to be accounted for when the thought of getting out surfaces. If I should get out, I wouldn't settle for anything less than $200K/year if I were to maintain the type and quality of life I want for my family.

You're already in Taji?! Damn, I left before you and I'm still in Kuwait. Stupid helicopters are slowing us down. Well that's cool, glad you made it okay. I guess I'll see you soon over there, I can't wait to get out of here!
I'm still waiting on you to stop by the BDE TOC. I work in the S2 section. Just ask for Chief.
Old May 5, 2009, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

That was probly a soldier that is what the Army calls "high speed". He was quick to lear a book and answers, not having any leadership schools is what gets me. A soldier can get promoted without WLC, PLDC, or BNOC with waivers. I dont agree with that, sorry. Some people are born leaders others arent, how is it that they are quick to promote but not demote?
Non-promotable E-4 with 8 years in, the day I met him.

Its our job as leaders to develop those with potential to lead.
We should always strive to develop leadership in all our Soldiers. Those who display the potential to lead should be recommended for promotion, but I get where you are coming from.

As for schools, we have been sending Soldiers to WLC left and right, even non-promotable E-4's (don't get me started) there are tons of slots at Ft. Hood. CSM Ciotola has made it a top priority to fill those slots. I know what you mean though, when I graduated PLDC it was a requirement to get promoted to E-5, just like BNCOC used to be a requirement to make E-6.

The NCO Corps is only as strong as the Soldiers we recommend for promotion to E-5 and E-6.

Fellahs, when it comes to getting out of the Army, I just recently started having these thoughts. My main reason is because I want to spend as much time with my family as possible and stop missing one-year chunks of their lives that I will never get compensated for. Since 2004, this is my fourth deployment. I was in Qatar for OIF I. I was in Mosul for OIF III. I was in Taji for OIF VI. And now I'm on my way back to Taji for Round Four. You have jokers sitting pretty with no deployments whatsoever and that puts a sour taste in my mouth.
I know a few folks who fall into this category Chief. I once worked for an E-7 with 8 years in, all the Warrants in our field were begging her to drop her packet and she went back to the house. It's unfortunate, she was an outstanding NCO and would have made a great Warrant. DA needs to do a better job of rotating duty assignments. I spent 5 years at Ft. Knox and didn't get my chance to deploy until 2006/7, then got stuck on the 15 month tour. lol

Four deployments, I'd probably be done.

Last edited by sith_killer_99; May 5, 2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old May 5, 2009, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sith_killer_99
Non-promotable E-4 with 8 years in, the day I met him.

We should always strive to develop leadership in all our Soldiers. Those who display the potential to lead should be recommended for promotion, but I get where you are coming from.

As for schools, we have been sending Soldiers to WLC left and right, even non-promotable E-4's (don't get me started) there are tons of slots at Ft. Hood. CSM Ciotola has made it a top priority to fill those slots. I know what you mean though, when I graduated PLDC it was a requirement to get promoted to E-5, just like BNCOC used to be a requirement to make E-6.

The NCO Corps is only as strong as the Soldiers we recommend for promotion to E-5 and E-6.

I know a few folks who fall into this category Chief. I once worked for an E-7 with 8 years in, all the Warrants in our field were begging her to drop her packet and she went back to the house. It's unfortunate, she was an outstanding NCO and would have made a great Warrant. DA needs to do a better job of rotating duty assignments. I spent 5 years at Ft. Knox and didn't get my chance to deploy until 2006/7, then got stuck on the 15 month tour. lol

Four deployments, I'd probably be done.
I have the deuces on standby if my 'ole Branch Manager starts tripping!
Old May 5, 2009, 07:16 PM

i know that the army is the best at job security and medical, but i still have a hard time talking myself, much less my family, into staying in another 11 years when i have only been in texas 9 months and they want my to move again. i came here on a compassionate reassignment and have had nothing but a cold shoulder since coming here except for the few i associate with in the command group. those i do associate with in the command group are way above my rank and i dont talk about personal issues much to them.

i also feel you on the noobs getting promoted way fast when they have hardly any experience while battle tested soldiers are held back because they may be at odds with some in their platoon and those in their platoon refuse to give them a transfer so they can give a little more depth on the sodomy.

i tried to put in my w.o.f.t. packet and got treated like a piece of crap. all i needed was a few more pieces to it and i woulda been good, but the chumps in chrage of me prevented me from furthering myself. and i got a 133 on my dang a.f.a.s.t. now i have an outdated w.o. packet. i told them i would reenlist if they deleted my orders until i could complete it and get boarded... they told me the only way they would do that is if i signed a dec statement which pretty much makes me flag and bar myself... ie: disqualifying myself.
Old May 6, 2009, 07:29 AM

Yea man, Im waiting for some ppl to talk to so you guys hurry up. Just sneak a ride over Weather here has been good as far as heat but visibility has been very poor. Poor guys ready to leave here has been put on standby for 3 days now because of visibility. He about ready to convoy to Ballad...lol
Old May 6, 2009, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xfactor evo
i know that the army is the best at job security and medical, but i still have a hard time talking myself, much less my family, into staying in another 11 years when i have only been in texas 9 months and they want my to move again. i came here on a compassionate reassignment and have had nothing but a cold shoulder since coming here except for the few i associate with in the command group. those i do associate with in the command group are way above my rank and i dont talk about personal issues much to them.

i also feel you on the noobs getting promoted way fast when they have hardly any experience while battle tested soldiers are held back because they may be at odds with some in their platoon and those in their platoon refuse to give them a transfer so they can give a little more depth on the sodomy.

i tried to put in my w.o.f.t. packet and got treated like a piece of crap. all i needed was a few more pieces to it and i woulda been good, but the chumps in chrage of me prevented me from furthering myself. and i got a 133 on my dang a.f.a.s.t. now i have an outdated w.o. packet. i told them i would reenlist if they deleted my orders until i could complete it and get boarded... they told me the only way they would do that is if i signed a dec statement which pretty much makes me flag and bar myself... ie: disqualifying myself.
David, I'm truly sorry for the poor display of leadership you have had to experience since arriving at the "Great Place". I wish there was something that I could do on the WO end of this equation to help you out. At this point, I'm not sure if there is anything that I can do as it seems that your leadership is sitting on you for pursuing your goals. My heart goes out to you and from what you've shared with me, you deserve some sunshine in your forecast. It is cases like this that makes me shake my head in pure sad amazement that the Army always preaches taking care of its own but this is an example of that no happening in the slightest way. I hope that there is a break in the weather for you because I have complete confidence that you would make an awesome aviator. Please let me know if you need my help in any way whatsoever.
Old May 6, 2009, 01:23 PM

thanks levar. the old lady put her foot down and said i have to get out now... so it looks like thats what i will be doing. anyhow i am going to sprockets in a minute to change out both diff, tranny, and engine oil with amsoil stuff... i also got myself an oil test kit so we will see the results from that soon...
Old May 6, 2009, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Well its time to change the topic for a sec:

I am the master at bad luck, here it goes..........So I go to court to try to take cae of a ticket that I got in 2007. Turn out they had three warrants for my arrest, they added all the warrant court and speeding tickets all together for a total of $1800. SOB!!!! When they asked what I wanted to do next I said without taking the next breath "trial by jury, what do you think?"

I got the f***ing ticket 3 day before I deployed to Iraq, the cop was and still is a f***ing *****. He did not want to hear anything I had to say, he even got me for failure to signal and unsafe lane change when I pulled over for the SOB! This is the main reason why I hate cops cause they just want to be ticket happy when they have nothing to do.
Old May 6, 2009, 04:16 PM

I am the master at bad luck, here it goes..........So I go to court to try to take cae of a ticket that I got in 2007. Turn out they had three warrants for my arrest, they added all the warrant court and speeding tickets all together for a total of $1800. SOB!!!! When they asked what I wanted to do next I said without taking the next breath "trial by jury, what do you think?"

I got the f***ing ticket 3 day before I deployed to Iraq, the cop was and still is a f***ing *****. He did not want to hear anything I had to say, he even got me for failure to signal and unsafe lane change when I pulled over for the SOB! This is the main reason why I hate cops cause they just want to be ticket happy when they have nothing to do.
Holy crap man!! I don't even know what to say about your luck......just take a couple of chill a little before you lose it.
Old May 6, 2009, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Man, I thought I had ****ty luck.

Quick Reply: Ft Hood Evo Check-in