Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Cobb Tuning stage 2 at Don Herring

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2009, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what constitutes stage 2 according to Cobb? I remember with my STi just a dp (minimum) got you there. So in evo x-land what would we need to start running the stg 2 map?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, you can use the AP to tune for cams, etc. There is a package (Pro Tuner) that is the tuning package for AP. If you have these pieces on your car now, I bet Cobb will be happy to take care of you at their Plano location.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STItoEVOX
So what constitutes stage 2 according to Cobb? I remember with my STi just a dp (minimum) got you there. So in evo x-land what would we need to start running the stg 2 map?
I think it's the same in Evo land. The Cobb Stg II car above has a high-flow cat and dp. What I want to see is the very fly cast O2 housing/dp combo that Cobb makes for the STI.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrMTB
I think it's the same in Evo land. The Cobb Stg II car above has a high-flow cat and dp. What I want to see is the very fly cast O2 housing/dp combo that Cobb makes for the STI.
EXACTLY! i dont know why the dp's for evos dont have the bellmouth design that were made for the sti's (google Invidia v2 bellmouth). im sure these parts developers know something i dont, but i dont see a reason to have them separate... whatever, maybe ill make a thread later asking why.

to the OP: would this stage 2 map you guys ran be what cobb will be offering OTS? or was it more of a custom "stage 2-ish" tune for what mods the car had?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:42 PM

from my understanding the stage 2 consists of: high flow cat, DP, intake, and intercooler piping.

and the stage 2 tune was done custom..but from what they say it will be released soon..The CAM tuning can be done custom from Cobb..but its pretty pricey. Were hoping that they will start releasing more and more accessport maps for free on their website that we will be able to download free after you buy the accessport
Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

wow, that seems like a LOT for stage 2... kinda seems like more of a 2.5 to me, but im new to evos so i could be way off. either way i think im gonna put off buying wheels for another month so i can get the AP with the money ive already saved... i love cobb.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STItoEVOX
EXACTLY! i dont know why the dp's for evos dont have the bellmouth design that were made for the sti's (google Invidia v2 bellmouth). im sure these parts developers know something i dont, but i dont see a reason to have them separate... whatever, maybe ill make a thread later asking why.
Because seperating the wastegate air from the rest of the air can actually make more power from my understanding, also having the split makes it easy to have a wastegate dumped downpipe
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SilverEvoX
Because seperating the wastegate air from the rest of the air can actually make more power from my understanding, also having the split makes it easy to have a wastegate dumped downpipe
oh ok, i didnt know it would make more power to separate the wastegated air. with that said, why the hell are companies making just downpipes without the other outlet??? and even worse, why the hell are people buying em??
Old Jan 21, 2009, 06:21 AM

Its been proven that the DP doesn't ad nearly as much HP as the o2 housing that you can slap on when u get a DP. for instance take Ultimate racing..you can buy their DP..or their DP O2 housing..the O2 housing one proves to provide alot more power. some people say they see a noticeable difference from just a DP and not the 02 sensor..but i haven't seen definitive results yet
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:16 AM

Can you still take it to Cobb in Plano if you don't have an access port? Couldn't they use thiers on your car if you had similar mods?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:31 AM

you can get a tune without the accessport by Cobb in plano still yes. I dont think they have one to "use" on other cars. from my understanding you have to marry the accessports to the cars and do the stage 1 stage 2, custom, etc. tunes that way.

edit: wait a minute, you would probably have to have an accessport for them to do a custom tune haha. Otherwise theyde have no way to flash the ECU.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

The AccessPort is the gateway to their tuning. (So you would need to get an AccessPort for them to tune your car.) Your other option is to wait for the OpenECU software to come out of beta for the Evo X, and have Kevin or someone else tune your car.

I had an AccessPort on my WRX, and loved it. Likewise KevinD took very good care of my tuning needs using OpenECU. If I do anything to my X, though, I'll probably go back to the AP just for the ease and convenience of it all (and I loved being able to put, for example, the fuel economy map on my sled for day-to-day driving, and then the 93 octane stage I tune when I went out with my friends on Friday night).
Old Jan 21, 2009, 01:46 PM

I think Cobb plano needs to have a Dyno day haha
Old Jan 21, 2009, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

I thnk Cobb needs to have a shop in Hawaii.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Cobb in Plano is planning on having a dyno day for us. I need to get together with Chris and work out the details.