Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Illegal tint ticket - tinting shop recs & questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Illegal tint ticket - tinting shop recs & questions

I got a ticket last week for illegal tint from a Dallas County constable.

It's funny, after 9 months of ownership and 10,000 mi + of driving, it never occurred to me that the tint on the car was illegal, it just came like this. The constable used a meter which read 16%, so that explains why it's always so dark in my car

Does anyone know how Dallas County judges handle this? Is this a "fix it" ticket? Can I just change this out, and show proof to the judge and have it dismissed or the fine lowered?

Does anyone have any recs on cheap competent tinting places in the Dallas area? Last time I got this done was ~5 yrs ago, at a little place on Preston, south of 190, but I don't remember the name, or if they're still there, for that matter.

Thanks, guys!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
it's a fix it ticket. If you pull the rear you have to be very careful because of the defroster lines.

Unfortunately this is not a cheap operation as it takes a few hours to remove it correctly.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by 666 EVO; Feb 16, 2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

man these cops are getting picky!!! WOW....

did you get pulled over for just the tint or something else on top of it?

if you got pulled over for something else other than tint, what I do is turn my car off, and stick both hands out the window so the cop can see you...... you can also roll all your windows down, but some times thats risky because then they will be looking for something with the tint... if you just stick your hands out the window, they feel much safer walking up the car and screw with you less about crappy stuff like no front plate or tint....
Old Feb 16, 2009, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by IMPdemon
I got a ticket last week for illegal tint from a Dallas County constable.

It's funny, after 9 months of ownership and 10,000 mi + of driving, it never occurred to me that the tint on the car was illegal, it just came like this. The constable used a meter which read 16%, so that explains why it's always so dark in my car

Does anyone know how Dallas County judges handle this? Is this a "fix it" ticket? Can I just change this out, and show proof to the judge and have it dismissed or the fine lowered?

Does anyone have any recs on cheap competent tinting places in the Dallas area? Last time I got this done was ~5 yrs ago, at a little place on Preston, south of 190, but I don't remember the name, or if they're still there, for that matter.

Thanks, guys!

Dude its Texas, they will pull you over for having a smile.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 666 EVO
Its only Illegal to have the front two windows under 30% The back rear windows can be blacked out.
No last time I checked, the rear side windows couldn't be darker than the front windows either..... the rear triangle and the rear window could be whatever, but the side windows had to be the same.... no darker than 30%
Old Feb 16, 2009, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by denver
No last time I checked, the rear side windows couldn't be darker than the front windows either..... the rear triangle and the rear window could be whatever, but the side windows had to be the same.... no darker than 30%
Your right they did change it. Sorry for the wrong info.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/tint.htm
Old Feb 16, 2009, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

I only remember it cause it pissed me off like crazy!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

wow - they did change it. It now says...

All side windows (front and back) must have at least 25% light transmittance over the entire surface area of the window.

You used to be able to black out the backseat side windows... What a bummer.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:48 AM

How much is the ticket?
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by denver
did you get pulled over for just the tint or something else on top of it?
Good question, I'm not sure why he pulled me over. This was on Beltline in Richardson, which is notorious for being heavily patrolled. Mind you, this was a county constable, not a regular COR officer, I've heard they help out the regular local LEO's around town form time to time, and that they can & will pull you over, just didn't need 1st hand proof...

He paced me for a bit, and my detector went crazy while he got a read, then finally he lit things up. I wasn't speeding, in fact I was sure he was gonna talk to me about no front plate, but he didn't mention that at all.

He said that it being a really bright day, it was pretty clear that my tint was too dark. He had the meter in his hand as he walked up my window, which was already down.

As it happens, the insurance card I had expired two weeks ago, so he wrote that up too, I just hadn't put the new one in the car. He did say though, that the county clerk would just dismiss that one when I showed current proof. For the tint, he said he was no lawyer, but that the judge might take things into consideration if I get it removed or changed out, which is why I asked if this was a "fix it" ticket.

Originally Posted by Shimanchu
I know a guy who does great work and has very good prices and will keep you legal.
PM me or post details please

Originally Posted by teddyshooter
How much is the ticket?
$300

This is why I want to know if the fine can be modified or dismissed. Otherwise I'll be out the re-tint cost plus the fine.

What I wish I knew is, why didn't he give me a warning? I didn't know my tint was illegally dark, I haven't even had the car long enough to get inspected, which would be my only other chance to learn about my tint's being out of spec.

A few years ago, last time I got a vehicle tinted, the shop told me that they're *not even allowed* to do limo tint, bc it's illegal?

Anyways, thx for letting me rant, guys.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

find an evo with the same color / model... w/out tint... swap plates... LOL jk jk
Old Feb 16, 2009, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine is 50% all around and haven't get any issue yet. Didn't want to go darker than 50% because I don't want to have to take it off GL with the judge
Old Feb 16, 2009, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

i have 15% on the front then 5% on the rear 3 lol.... shifty eyes
Old Feb 16, 2009, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

I know 2 people around school that run double 5% on the rears / backwindow and 5% on the fronts.