Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

7/10-7/12 BMW CCA HPDE @ Hallett (Tulsa)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2009, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's 2 weeks out. We still have spots open!

You know you want to join us!

Old Jul 11, 2009, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by drewgray
Good luck out there Goofy. I'm looking forward to what kind of times you will be able to turn in your car.

I'm a pretty bad driver, lol, with old R6's, catback, and self tune, I went 1:30.1 (There was at least a 1:27-1:28 in the car, but one of the tires started to cord, so that was the end of my day) You should demolish me.
I'm not sure how you turned a 1:30? Any video so I can see the lines? My best times from what I looked at quickly in the video/data log were in the 1:34-1:35 range and I was booking it and was close to the fastest in my run group. Edit: I went a looked and a < 1:30 time is like what legends cars are running. Comma HST times look to be in the 1:32-1:40 time range. Spec Miata is in the 1:30 range. The current track record (from 7/5) is 1:21.xx [z06].

First session:
Major brake fade near the end. I boiled the fluid. The brembos went from brown to black. Melted the gloves a bit bleeding the brakes (again).

Second session:
Ran out of gas fail. Well... still had gas in the tank, but the Evo's lame left side pickup issue bit me. Still learning the track.

Third session:
I data logged a 1:34.5, a couple 1:35-1:36's and a 1:37 (and a couple slower ones from traffic). Came in a early because I lost the brake pedal again. Wheel weights were falling off from the heat. I couldn't even check the tire pressure it was too hot.

Fourth session:
Slow 6-7/10ths just learning the track better. No brake fade (not at these speeds). Found a couple lines I like better.

And to top it off... when I pulled my tires to go back to streets, I corded one (really bad, 1" wide, about 1/2 the tire around). So tomorrow will be on the street tires.

Last edited by goofygrin; Jul 11, 2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 07:45 AM
Former Sponsor

sounds like you need to bring it over for some brake cooling work we can do tim's patented cooling method, or go a step farther
Old Jul 12, 2009, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Not sure about the common hst times but gt3 cars run at best 1:29ish and gt2 cars in the 1:24 area and gt1 is even faster but these are all racecars on true slicks that run comma. The track record is much lower than 1:21 I think it's around the 1:09 area.

Yah, the line is extremely important on this course and the more you run it the more you'll feel her out. Maybe try and ride with someone in the 20's and you can probably see the line better or have someone more used to the track ride along and give you pointers.

I backed up my previous time in june with more 1:30:0s... That time pisses me off. I wanted a 1:29.x lol

I have one video that I'll have to find. And I'll put up vids of mrcox going around in his evo8 for you to look at. He went 1:26:8 so his would be more beneficial.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Nm it seems you already found his vids on YouTube, and yes he is dumb and mounted his camera upside down. Lol
Old Jul 12, 2009, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

I got it down to about 1:32 today, but I was on street tires (245/40/18 NT-05s) since I corded an r-comp yesterday. I definitely need brake cooling ducts though since my fluid continued to boil itself on every session.

Dicing it up with a 911 turbo on R6's is a good way to get faster!

Going out on track with 9 gallons of 94 octane is a BAD way to go faster (I did a 1:33 with one can in the rear floorboard and one in the back seat).
Old Jul 12, 2009, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

I flipped his video over for him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8XSz4oiVlM

His fastest lap he was almost off the track a couple times
Old Jul 12, 2009, 07:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by goofygrin
I got it down to about 1:32 today, but I was on street tires (245/40/18 NT-05s) since I corded an r-comp yesterday. I definitely need brake cooling ducts though since my fluid continued to boil itself on every session.
there is actually quite a bit you can do to fix the brake problem without going to full ducts yet. a few common sense things that wont cost you anything but time.

Going out on track with 9 gallons of 94 octane is a BAD way to go faster (I did a 1:33 with one can in the rear floorboard and one in the back seat).

HAHAHA i could have told you that! i tried it with a 5 gallon jug of methanol didn't make me go any faster, and when it broke the feed line from the meth tank to the pump, i definately didn't go slower! hopefully yours didn't bounce around like mine did
Old Jul 12, 2009, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

I flipped his video over for him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8XSz4oiVlM

His fastest lap he was almost off the track a couple times

To go as fast as possible, you gotta use the entire track including the curbing

I'm going back again in august and will be on street tires this time. Hopefully I won't be on stock suspension anymore by then
Old Jul 12, 2009, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Goofy, thanks a lot for fliping that over for me. Computers>Me.

At 2:15 in the video is when I broke the back side of the FN01R-c's Drew.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
there is actually quite a bit you can do to fix the brake problem without going to full ducts yet. a few common sense things that wont cost you anything but time.

We'll chat when I'm back in town

HAHAHA i could have told you that! i tried it with a 5 gallon jug of methanol didn't make me go any faster, and when it broke the feed line from the meth tank to the pump, i definately didn't go slower! hopefully yours didn't bounce around like mine did
Luckily one jug was in the floorboard behind my seat so it didn't really have anywhere to go. The other was in the straps of my harness so it could move a little bit, but not a terrible amount. I guess that's one way to try and show smoothness
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

I didn't pay for the pics... but the photog posted the one teaser:

Note this is on a left hand turn... I drifted turn 10 way too many times.

Even an Evo-0!
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

I just saw this video on Hallett's website and and it is a lot cleaner line than I ever ran around there if you want to see the best way around the track. He ran the exact line I want to and I saw a few places I can improve my line as well in the video.

My biggest problem I had last time, besides not letting the R1's heat up and backing it into the tire wall in the *****, was boiling my brake fluid. It scared me pretty bad when I hit the brakes at the #4 going into corner ten and it just went straight to the floor. I also tried to brake at the #4 going into corner one for the first time and it did fine (still pretty scary) but going into corner two the pedal just went to the floor.

The Oklahoma Z car club is having a private session August 22 that I'm going to try to make it to but I need to do full ducting and some Ti pad shims. When I was changing out my pads at the the end of the day, I noticed my dust boots were destroyed from the heat.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrcox
My biggest problem I had last time, besides not letting the R1's heat up and backing it into the tire wall in the *****, was boiling my brake fluid. It scared me pretty bad when I hit the brakes at the #4 going into corner ten and it just went straight to the floor. I also tried to brake at the #4 going into corner one for the first time and it did fine (still pretty scary) but going into corner two the pedal just went to the floor.
I had this experience 6 out of 8 sessions. I think that the lack of trust that I developed in the brakes let me to brake earlier, which caused me to be slower AND overcook the brakes more.

Sigh.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Drew had me upload this video that has his 1:30 lap

And I got the other video flipped and uploaded to youtube as well.