Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Oklahoma Evos

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2009, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dcasandman
Called Abel Racing and they want to charge 850 to replace the clutch and resurface the fly wheel. They said they have done a X already, and were very friendly on the phone. They appeared to be much more knowledgeable about the X than the other shop. I was surprised they are charging an extra 200 dollars though. Their hourly rate is much higher I noticed on their web site.

I already ordered the Exedy stage 2, but their shop was higher on the Spec C clutches. Said they get better life and customer service out of Spec C clutches than ACT or Exedy. They did not have much nice to say about ACT quality though.

To bad they dont have an AWD dyno Id really like to put the car back on one to see what kind of power it makes after a few more miles on to really get it broken in.
Abel put the clutch, and flywheel in my car. Did good work. I wish they had an awd dyno to, but there is one here in longmont colorado. To bad i head back tomorrow. Did abel do any tune to your car?
Old May 5, 2009, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Talked to Abel again today cause I was trying to bargain their price down, since Dynodynamics charges 650 or 675 I cant remember exactly. They pretty much would not budge on 850. The positive note though is they are certified by Mitsubishi some how to take care of all their cars and even warranty their work!! They seem to really know their stuff its kinda refreshing compared to talking to the dealership.

As far as tuning goes it was tuned by Cobb Tuning in Plano on a Mustang Dyno.
Old May 5, 2009, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

For sure. I was tuned here in colorado, and was just wondering about there skillz
Old May 5, 2009, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

if you go to abel just make sure you have all your parts in hand.. I had them put my cams and timing belts in. had everything but the waterpump.. they ordered that dropped off my car and 3 days later said they ordered the wrong one.. so simple cams and timing, pump change took about 8 days..
Old May 5, 2009, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lucky_evo
if you go to abel just make sure you have all your parts in hand.. I had them put my cams and timing belts in. had everything but the waterpump.. they ordered that dropped off my car and 3 days later said they ordered the wrong one.. so simple cams and timing, pump change took about 8 days..

Sounds like my luck anytime I have something done. It never gets done in a timely manner and something always get screwed up even when I take the time to do serious research.
Old May 5, 2009, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they are are pretty well knowledgable with mitsus overall. they are a bit on the expensive side for services though i agree, but meh, i'd rather the more knowing guy work on my car than the guy that doesnt.
Old May 6, 2009, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

If I get anything I need to get done like the switch to e85 I'm about to do, I'm taking it to KevinD well worth the drive to DFW.. he took care of my clutch, flywheel, and tune back on valentine's day.. Great trustworthy guy.. and to even do it on valentine's day was very outgoing..
Old May 6, 2009, 07:23 AM

I've been to able several times for work on my previous dsm, they were nice and all but not very professional imo. they did do a good job at welding some IC pipes and bov for me, but I don't see myself going back there again. Maybe if I need a quick part or something. My clutch job also on the eclipse only cost 300-350 dollars at able. I don't see how it would cost $500 more to do an evo x clutch compared to a dsm clutch, sounds kinda high.
Old May 6, 2009, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lifesavedave
I've been to able several times for work on my previous dsm, they were nice and all but not very professional imo. they did do a good job at welding some IC pipes and bov for me, but I don't see myself going back there again. Maybe if I need a quick part or something. My clutch job also on the eclipse only cost 300-350 dollars at able. I don't see how it would cost $500 more to do an evo x clutch compared to a dsm clutch, sounds kinda high.
with the evos it seems it takes 5X the works to swap clutches out
Old May 19, 2009, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

The Car is already at Abel. Took it last Friday and still not back to me Its always hit or miss, and Im always unlucky. Of coarse I pick the place that takes 3 days to get my car back to me. Should have just drove down to Dallas. The reason I did not take my car back to alternative was a questionable job with the Boost gauge install. When I took the car down to Cobb for a tune they pointed out that they did not secure the lines correct and if it would have come off it would have had the car running max boost and probably made the engine go Boom.

I take it you pops does street tuning since no AWD dyno in the state?
Not to bust your chops but dropped off my evo at Alternative on a Friday and got it back the next day.
Old May 19, 2009, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Ya, like I said I usually make the wrong choice. I need it back today bad since Im on call and riding a Harley back and Forth to the hospital on call pretty much sucks.
Old May 20, 2009, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
you guys are liying. There no Evos on Oklahoma.
Old May 20, 2009, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pirana
you guys are liying. There no Evos on Oklahoma.
Not very many at least. I see a VIII or IX about every other month, and have only seen a X once. I will say there are tons of Ralliarts running around though. The previous model.
Old May 21, 2009, 02:05 PM

The Car is already at Abel. Took it last Friday and still not back to me Its always hit or miss, and Im always unlucky. Of coarse I pick the place that takes 3 days to get my car back to me. Should have just drove down to Dallas. The reason I did not take my car back to alternative was a questionable job with the Boost gauge install. When I took the car down to Cobb for a tune they pointed out that they did not secure the lines correct and if it would have come off it would have had the car running max boost and probably made the engine go Boom.

I take it you pops does street tuning since no AWD dyno in the state?

I had pretty much the same experience with able on my clutch install. They said it would take one day, so I show up when they opened to drop it off the next day and had to wait 30min for someone to show up. It took them I think three days to fix it. Then they didn't readjust the clutch pedal so it engadged 1 inch of the floor. I called to ask about it and they told me there was nut above the pedal to adjust, they didn't even offer to bring it back and have them do it. So when the time comes i'll probably just drive to dallas and have cobb or evodynamics and have them work on my car.
Old May 21, 2009, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Well I have the car back. I give them less than average service. Took 2 more days than expected and the quoted price did not include new fluids even though I am pretty sure I asked. I do how ever like the car now more than ever. New clutch on the X was about as good as a tune.

Quick Reply: Oklahoma Evos