Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Carbon fiber Wheels

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2009, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbon fiber Wheels

I was looking around for some carbon fiber part for my Evo and a came across this... carbon fiber wheels lol. Super Light and SUPER Expensive

Carbon Fiber Wheels

Old May 5, 2009, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Fragile?
Old May 5, 2009, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Strong and lite--but not impact resistant...smack a good pot hole and thats the end I would guess.
Old May 5, 2009, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Those weds ones are a joke, if you are really looking to save weight these are they way to go if you have money to burn

16lb 19x11, yes please.

Scorke
Old May 5, 2009, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

wow
Old May 5, 2009, 01:48 PM

10,000?... for rims.. heck no
Old May 5, 2009, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mystik_khmer
10,000?... for rims.. heck no
Considering people pay 3k+ for alloy ones its not that ridiculous.

Tires are the most important component of the car, outside of those there are very few places besides the wheel to easily take out rotating weight.

Scorke
Old May 5, 2009, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

We made carbon wheels when I was in school. We used carbon rim with an aluminum webbing in the center. We didnt do soild carbon because the aluminim shedded brake heat, and it made manufacturing easier.

The only real problems we had were if a noobie changed the tires they would break the lip, and we had to add extra resin in places because some times the resin would get thin and they would leak air.

They are actually stiffer and stronger than our solid aluminum wheels we used on the cars in the past, but like 6lb or so lighter a wheel.

Here is a picture of our wheel:

I would be worried about chipping them on the streets and curb rash would probably catastrophic and also torquing the lug nuts.... I guess flat faced with a big washer would be the way to go and I wouldnt be going to discount or anything!

Last edited by denver; May 5, 2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old May 5, 2009, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Ahhh FSAE, those were the days when CF wheels were logical

Scorke
Old May 5, 2009, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scorke
Those weds ones are a joke, if you are really looking to save weight these are they way to go if you have money to burn

16lb 19x11, yes please.

Scorke
I don't know anything about CF wheels, but what makes you an athority to say that a wheel weighing 1/3 of the wheels you posted are the joke. I'll wait for your response before calling you a joke.
Old May 5, 2009, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wayyy too expensive the extra money you wouldve used to buy the wheels could be put into the engine and make it wayy faster. just my opinion though
Old May 5, 2009, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrMeaner
I don't know anything about CF wheels, but what makes you an athority to say that a wheel weighing 1/3 of the wheels you posted are the joke. I'll wait for your response before calling you a joke.
No authority, but the problems that arise from getting rid of heat, and being structurally sound enough to take a side impact and not just one dead on (read curbing not running over something) make the prospects of running a fully CF wheel scary.

There is no way to get around the issue of carbon fiber's fragility when it comes to getting damaged. CF is capable of bending and or flexing much more than most metals and alloys would care to, whilst still being able to return to its natural shape, however if you exert enough force on it to damage it forever its usually catastrophic.

Hitting another car side to side with an alloy wheel will usually just result in scrapes at worst, with these you would be left with splinters, hence why FULL CF wheels are a joke.

Also show me a car actually running those weds wheels? They are a pipe dream that will most likely never make it to the real world of motorsport.

Scorke
Old May 5, 2009, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Mr Meaner- the website that you read explained it pretty well.
Carbon fiber and aluminum wheel

There is some concern about a wheel being 100% carbon fiber that I’ve seen from people online…especially considering the weight of the wheel. Is it strong enough to support a car normally driving, let alone at a race track? What about the cost of repairing the wheel if something gets damaged? Does it need to get fully replaced, or can it be fixed for substantially less cost?

There is another company by the name of Dymag that makes carbon fiber wheels (which we’ll cover in a future post), but their hub is made out of magnesium. Apparently this is for strength reasons, which makes me think these fully carbon fiber rims should only be used for show cars. I’d like to hear Weds Sport’s thoughts on this. If you have any insight, feel free to post your comments.
For somebody that comes off as a hard *** you should read more

Scorke
Old May 5, 2009, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scorke
Mr Meaner- the website that you read explained it pretty well.

For somebody that comes off as a hard *** you should read more

Scorke
If I was trying to be hard *** I wouldn't try to make a point at all, I'd just call you an effin joke to your face... But I wasn't.

I read the site, and all I saw were a bunch of guys who coun't read Japanese speculating about the current known methods of CF molding without knowing a single thing about this "dry molding" process. Again, I don't know squat about the CF molding process or whether or not this new method obtains any better structural limitations rather than just being a new improved way to acheive certain diffictult molds. But I do know this, with out all the facts I wouldn't go as far as calling the first of any kind of FULL CF wheel a joke.

Excuse me if I don't pass judgement just yet on something that was obviously a big break through. Maybe if I read more of others SPECULATIONS I'll be better informed though.

BTW, if you couldn't tell. My first comment about waiting to read your response before calling you a joke wasn't me being a hard ***. It was me trying to make a point about getting the facts before passing judgement. Sorry if it was over your head.

Last edited by MrMeaner; May 5, 2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: additional point
Old May 5, 2009, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

your average evo owner would not even think about carbon wheels....

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber Wheels