Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Clutch alignment tool in/near Austin?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2004, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We did the install this past weekend. It took about 14 hours total. Big thanks to trubidou for coming out to "watch." We couldn't have gotten the tranny in or out without his help, that's for sure.

Unfortuantely the end result wasn't so good. The clutch pedal now vibrates at engine speed when fully released. Not quite sure what the problem is, maybe the TO bearing, though it seated fine into the pressure plate and clutch actuates just fine. I can drive the car, which is good, but the vibration obviously has me very nervous.

I've tried checking a few things and poking around a bit. So far nothing has yielded any positive results. I bled the clutch line and also tried to peek in at the TO bearing through the hole int he bellhousing. It looks fine in there, but it's hard to survey the thing through a 2" hole.

So I'll probably tear the thing back down again to see if I can fix it. This time I'm lining up to have a tranny jack and an engine hoist, so that might make things somewhat easier.

I'll post some pics for everyone's enjoyment.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Transmission looking in from driver's side wheel well:

A driveshaft:

The transfer case from the passenger side wheel well:

Old Feb 10, 2004, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Flywheel:

Another shot with the transfer on the right in the background:

Me test fitting for the universal clutch alignment tool, starter in foreground sitting on top of the transmission bellhousing:

Old Feb 10, 2004, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Inside of the bellhousing:

Another shot:

Old Feb 10, 2004, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Old disc and pressure plate:

Old disc & new disc (OEM). You can kind of see 2 worn rings on the old one, one on each side of the rivets:

Another shot of old & new:

Old Feb 10, 2004, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey iodine, I just showed the picture to someone else, you are going to have to have the flywheel and if you can the pressure plate resurfaced. You have many more hot spots then I did and with a surface that uneven it is probably wobbling the clutch and giving you the vibrations. I would be carefull driving it until you can get it back out and have it done. If you heard the click and the clutch releases then it is not the T/O bearing.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

I put in a brand new pressure plate. The old one went in the trash. The only thing that was reused was the flywheel. Are you saying that I should not reuse the new disc or pressure plate when I'm redoing the install?
Old Feb 10, 2004, 09:15 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch! Flywheel really needed resurfacing! I used to always use the place on the north east corner of Lamar and 183. Problem is that I have not had a flywheel resurfaced in a while and have forgotten their name. They do every kind of flywheel from Civics to "Big Rigs" first right after the light at 183 on northbound Lamar.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

The new disc and pressure plate should be fine, you just really need to get that flywheel resurfaced. Aftert you do that you should be good to go.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

I ended up just ordering a new OEM flywheel instead. Almost picked up a Fidanza, but it was like $500 versus $200 for the stock one. Should be here in a few days. Also picked up a new TO bearing while I was at it in case the vibration is prematurely wearing the new one I just put in. Better safe than sorry I guess.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 09:19 AM

Helping iodine23 with his clutch install was definitely a good learning experience. I'm not sure I want to tackle my clutch when the time comes, but at least I know what to do now.

The pictures came out good. If you want me to "watch" you put in the flywheel, give me a call.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:19 AM

your clutch, not mine

i second that, joeycoates, has to be a good experience. and hell, hwile i'm opening my beer, i can help...open yours too! seriously, i'll make time this w=end. same Bat-Time, same Bat Station?
cmc
Old Feb 11, 2004, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

This weekend I'll be working in my garage rather than at my friend's place. I'm also borrowing a engine hoist and tranny jack from my coworker. But the work will probably be happening Saturday morning/afternoon, yep.

It seems like the driveshaft and transmission are the only things that need more than one person, but I'm not so dumb that I'll turn down offers from people to "watch" (get wrenches, hold stuff, and install trannies).
Old Feb 11, 2004, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

I would be willing to bet that you can get it done in half the time when you do it. The first time is always a ***** as you have to learn what needs to come out and how. This time you will know exactly what to do and in what order it needs to be done in. Just look at it this way, you are now the Austin clutch guru and now everyone will look up to iodine23!!
Old Feb 11, 2004, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by joeycoates
Just look at it this way, you are now the Austin clutch guru and now everyone will look up to iodine23!!
Yeah, uhhhh, watch out superz, there's a new clutch in town.

I just hope it's "second time's a charm" not "third time's a charm" heh.

Quick Reply: Clutch alignment tool in/near Austin?