Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Clutch alignment tool in/near Austin?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2004, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch alignment tool in/near Austin?

I got a new OEM clutch for my car and was planning to put it in this weekend. The catch is I don't have an alignment tool for the clutch disc. I'm guessing the tool should be the same for all single disc OEM/aftermarket clutches since it's based on the transmission input shaft.

Does anyone have one that I can borrow? If so, hit me up with a PM.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Nobody in Austin has a new clutch (with alignment tool) waiting to go in, or has done a swap already? Doh!

Well is anyone interested in watching/helping me out?
Old Feb 5, 2004, 12:38 PM

hey iodine 23, i like to watch...
i am going to ask the Brit what we are up, there's always something to do on the house, but i'll see.
any particular time?
cmc
Old Feb 5, 2004, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Well I wound up finding a "universal" alignment tool at PepBoys, so now I think all I need is a slide hammer to get the shaft out of the trans. Couldn't find one at Sears, Harbor Freight, or PepBoys.

I dunno when I'll be working on it. I want to this weekend but need to see when I can be free too. I'd rather start sooner than later. I guess best-case is probably starting Friday evening, otherwise I'll probably start Saturday morning or evening.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 02:14 PM

I'd like to watch and/or help. I'm not sure how much help I could be, but let me know. I'll have to run it by the wifey, but it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by trubidou
I'd like to watch and/or help. I'm not sure how much help I could be, but let me know. I'll have to run it by the wifey, but it shouldn't be a problem.
You could wash and wax my wheels while they're off the car.

Really though I'll probably need some help with the transmission since it's big, heavy, and awkward. Yeah, that's what a tranny jack is for, but I don't have one of those.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 03:24 PM

ok, the wife said I can help. PM me with directions, phone number what not. I'll be able to help until about 5pm sat. or tomorrow evening after 7pm.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 10:23 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I couldn't give you a hand until Sun... depending on the family... shoot me a number...
Old Feb 5, 2004, 11:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Auto Zone think it's a #203 $2.35 everyone should have one My Mech F'ed up an install on my car and I missed the SCC Evo tuner challange...So now I know where to get one (other than if you buy a $1,600.00 JDM clutch you would think they would put in the $1.00 Wsale part... My $850.00 performance clutch for my dodge had one)
Old Feb 5, 2004, 11:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Oh and a 2" pipe nipple 4"s long with a big fender washer and a long bolt... presses the shaft out easier than a slide hammer
Old Feb 6, 2004, 06:20 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by robi
Oh and a 2" pipe nipple 4"s long with a big fender washer and a long bolt... presses the shaft out easier than a slide hammer
My kind of guy...
Old Feb 6, 2004, 07:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Zeus, I married an Okie 22 years ago...It has made me more helpful...but people from the great TX act diferent when they find out...Is it guilt by association? If your doing this you need at least 3 (well two big + a jack) and removing the X member will help save a lot of time...
Old Feb 6, 2004, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Looks like this is probably going to happen early Saturday morning at my friend's place in central Austin. Don't know about guests, but I can't see why others wouldn't be allowed to come.

I picked up the slide hammer from AutoZone last night but was also considering doing some sort of home-brewed solution with a bolt and some pipe or something too.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 11:09 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I think it's Supraz that's got it down to a 3hr job. I'd give him a call before you start... probably save you a **** load of time. One of his time savers is to completely remove the rear motor mount rather than drop the front end.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, you unbolt the rear pitch stop and the centermember it's attached to. That's what you mean, right?

I have the shop manuals and will probably follow their process pretty closely. Though I plan on unbolting the front strut from the hub assembly instead of separating the steering linkage and hub assembly from the control arm. I'd rather fudge the alignment up a little bit than screw something up trying to pop those ball joints off.

Quick Reply: Clutch alignment tool in/near Austin?