Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

ATX : Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2004, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATX : Advice needed

I got my WRX written off for me last week by two Montero Sports, so I am in the market for a new vehicle. Instead of jumping straight back into a Subaru, I'm checking out the market in general.

So I decided to check out the EVO....and ended up at Barrett (simply cos it was near where I was anyway). They officially suck ***, they wouldn't let me test drive an EVO without pre-qualifying for a loan, sorry - but I'm not signing anything on a vehicle till I know I would at least be interested in buying it...and that means a test drive.

Where in Austin/San-Marcos can I get a test drive? Any recommendations?

Cheers

Rich
Old Apr 11, 2004, 05:31 PM
LDB
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We don't allow test drives either until we know someone is able to buy. It's stupid to do otherwise. Anyone buying the car is going to want no miles on it. Every kid within 25 miles radius is going to want to come "test it before they buy it" if you allow test drives. No one is required to buy after the test drive but so far no one has left without one.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally posted by LDB
We don't allow test drives either until we know someone is able to buy. It's stupid to do otherwise. Anyone buying the car is going to want no miles on it. Every kid within 25 miles radius is going to want to come "test it before they buy it" if you allow test drives. No one is required to buy after the test drive but so far no one has left without one.
I understand not letting some teenager drive an EVO without proving he/she has the means to aquire the car, but for the normal customer, that is stupid. This is why dealerships have demo cars. I test drove one at Gillman South in San Marcos and would have bought there if they would have made me the deal I wanted. Ended up buying at Frank Parra in Dallas and was very satisfied with the experience.

Edit. I assume Gillman in Austin will do the same.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

They were not grading the experience based on the fact that they had a serious buyer, and not a teenager without the means standing in front of them.

By contrast the Volvo dealership next door tossed me the keys to a brand new S40 T5 and told me to go enjoy it. You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs, and having a demo vehicle for something like the EVO is a very wise thing to do.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 01:20 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
man, the only advice that I can give you is to buy the car where ever you buy it and then have it serviced at Gillman San Marcos, you will not find nicer people to deal with, as long as you're straight up with them they will do you right.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:11 AM
ayn

I had no problems test driving the Evo8 or the STi, if you're in Austin, give Daniel at Gillman a call, he is a very nice guy. His buddy at the Subie dealership gave us the Evo testdrive coz Dan was with a customer, that guy (forgot his name) rocks, I've test driven quite a few cars in the last month, and the Evo8 testdrive was definitely the best.

--Andrew
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Barrett had a red one the owner was driving back when I got mine (a year ago now, probably long gone). They wouldn't even use that as a demo until you had basically bought the car already. After I agreed to by my car they let me drive the red one, like it mattered at that point, I took my car home the same night anyways.

mitsuorder: I thought the service dept. at Gillman San Marcos all quit.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:36 AM
ayn

Gillman in Austin has plenty of 2003 Evos on their lot right now, they are trying hard to move those, so I don't think they would mind giving test drives. The black one I drove had a few k miles on it.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Good advice, I'm heading down there this afternoon - if I come away as impressed as I am hoping after talking with MP5 last night...I should have one in the drive tomorrow :P
Old Apr 14, 2004, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally posted by digitaltekniq
Good advice, I'm heading down there this afternoon - if I come away as impressed as I am hoping after talking with MP5 last night...I should have one in the drive tomorrow :P
You'll love it. Let us know how it goes.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

I went to dealers that won't let me test drive the car until I sign an offer to buy conditional on the testdrive.. I didn't since I was parnoid that they will hold me to the contract and all.

I went to other more expensive brands (Mini, BMW, etc) and they all just drive the car out front and told me it has a full tank of gas.

I am almost 30 and I usually don't borrow to buy a car, then what would they do since they can't "pre-qualify" me for a loan?

-joe
Old Apr 15, 2004, 08:06 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

was at Gillman of San Marcos yesterday, they have a new sales manager who is desperate to sell their remaining Evo's, Mark, a salesman there said the best bet for a good price would be to do a internet inquiry on one. he said that you could probably haggle them out of one for about $100 over INVOICE, now you probably shouldn't go in spitting that number out but work at it as you final goal during negotiations, I'm sure you know this. Also I believe that they will allow a test drive. Hell if you wanted a really good deal, they have a yellow one that started having a 5th gear grind while a salesman was driving it, it's going to be repaired soon and I know the tech there, he is very compitent, so that might give you something to bargain with. good luck
Old Apr 15, 2004, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

I think at this point in the game you should be able to get an evo for below invoice. If the dealers have been sitting on them for that long, they should be willing to take quite a hit just to move them off the lot.
Old Apr 15, 2004, 10:09 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

true, just passing along the word
Old Apr 24, 2004, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Well - I picked my car up today - and I love it. Drove it back from Houston - so I have 1/3 of the breaking in done

See ya'll around Austin no doubt.