Notices
Southeast Region Includes AL, FL, GA, NC, SC, TN, KY.

killboy here...buying a Lancer...help me out

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2005, 08:01 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hey soon as you get your evo, killboy, let's get together. we'll come up and hang out.

no cranberry vodka this time. lol
Old Jul 14, 2005, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by plokivos
Stock BOV's ok, but really aftermarket recirculating BOV does help on boost lag. It does boost up a lot better, if it doesn't start sticking on half throttle boost.

By the way, MR is made for the dragon.

You can't ask for another car that's more perfect than MR (stock) to go on the dragon.
Any recommended brands/models of BOV that don't cause problems? Models to stay away from?

I don't see what's so great about the MR edition. The 6-speed tranny is nice, but the rest seems pretty minor...Bilstein shock absorbers, but I was planning to upgrage to coilovers anyway. Lighter/different wheels don't really interest me. $5k seems like it could be better spent.

Speaking of coilovers, I am looking at a couple of electronically adjustable kits for about $2k. Any hands-on testimonials? I used to have that in my stock '90 300zx TT, and it did make quite a difference. I could really use it because the Gap is so smooth, I want the suspension to be really tight there, but the roads to and from the Gap are quite rough and rippled.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Killboy
Any recommended brands/models of BOV that don't cause problems? Models to stay away from?

I don't see what's so great about the MR edition. The 6-speed tranny is nice, but the rest seems pretty minor...Bilstein shock absorbers, but I was planning to upgrage to coilovers anyway. Lighter/different wheels don't really interest me. $5k seems like it could be better spent.

Speaking of coilovers, I am looking at a couple of electronically adjustable kits for about $2k. Any hands-on testimonials? I used to have that in my stock '90 300zx TT, and it did make quite a difference. I could really use it because the Gap is so smooth, I want the suspension to be really tight there, but the roads to and from the Gap are quite rough and rippled.

Stock BOV is good until you make some real power and boost over 21psi. About coilover and other stuff, i'm not quite sure about those since I don't have any. My only suspension mod is Hotchkis springs and i'm going to buy a rear sway bar to help with the under steer. Do a search about the products your thinking of buying, they have alot of good info here. Goodluck!
Old Jul 15, 2005, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Killboy, just upgrade your rear swaybar and endlinks and you'll be fine. The stock suspension is almost perfect. If you must upgrade, go for the Ohlins.

http://www.vishnutuning.com/evo_ohlins_coilover.htm

Also, evom's project car is Ohlins equipped..

https://www.evolutionm.net/features/.../projectevo/43
Old Jul 15, 2005, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Got the car today...gotta go!
Old Jul 15, 2005, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Congratulations! I know you'll love it.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Man what a blast. Got a silver standard EVO8. Picked it up with 22 miles on the odo, by mile 45 it was being flogged through the Gap.

The brakes are not as firm as I expected, but I guess they are still bedding in. Seems like they could use some steel braided lines. I had heard marvelous things about the brakes and was expecting to hit a brick when I pushed on the pedal. It's nice for modulation though, and they can seriously put you through the windshield.

Power is definitely there...no complaints here. Can't wait to free up the air flow some and dial in some electronics for optimized boost.

Handling...a little soft for the smooth asphault of the Gap, but excellent on the rippled asphault of Graham Co. roads. I hate to give up that drivability on the rougher roads, but I'd really like to see this car perform on the Gap with things settled down a bit.

That ABS and EBD is pretty interesting. Really tossing it into a curve on the brakes makes the car squirm around while the systems are working, but it doesn't skid...pretty nice...just takes some getting used to.

Overall had a great time this evening on the damp roads around the area. Looking forward to going to work tomorrow, but it's going to kill me sitting there all day with the car parked beside me. I may have to take some breaks.
Attached Thumbnails killboy here...buying a Lancer...help me out-img_9261-resized.jpg  

Last edited by Killboy; Jul 15, 2005 at 11:07 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:17 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Killboy
Man what a blast. Got a silver standard EVO8. Picked it up with 22 miles on the odo, by mile 45 it was being flogged through the Gap.

The brakes are not as firm as I expected, but I guess they are still bedding in. Seems like they could use some steel braided lines. I had heard marvelous things about the brakes and was expecting to hit a brick when I pushed on the pedal. It's nice for modulation though, and they can seriously put you through the windshield.

Power is definitely there...no complaints here. Can't wait to free up the air flow some and dial in some electronics for optimized boost.

Handling...a little soft for the smooth asphault of the Gap, but excellent on the rippled asphault of Graham Co. roads. I hate to give up that drivability on the rougher roads, but I'd really like to see this car perform on the Gap with things settled down a bit.

That ABS and EBD is pretty interesting. Really tossing it into a curve on the brakes makes the car squirm around while the systems are working, but it doesn't skid...pretty nice...just takes some getting used to.

Overall had a great time this evening on the damp roads around the area. Looking forward to going to work tomorrow, but it's going to kill me sitting there all day with the car parked beside me. I may have to take some breaks.
Don't beat on it during the break in period. This includes the brakes and rotors. Easy way to warp them. Even at the end of the dragstrip I alternate on and off the brakes and take the furthest exit. It is however hard to resist ripping on it. You'll have plenty of time.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

Yep, take it easy for the first 600 miles (<5k RPM, etc etc) and 200 miles on the tires. And you're absolutely correct about the brakes but this you can atttribute to the OEM brake pads as they don't have an aggressive bite to them. Use them up and go with a good aftermarket set.

Here are my minor but necessary upgrades I think are ideal for sometime Dragon driving, alot of street driving and sometime road racing:
  • Stoptech SS brake lines
  • Hawk HPS brake pads
  • ATE Super Blue brake fluid
  • Cusco rear sway bar
  • Perrin endlinks
  • OEM brake air guides
  • sticky tires

Not counting the cost of tires I've spent a good bit less than a thousand but it really gets the car prepped for more aggressive driving.

My $0.02.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Copy that guys, thanks. I wasn't beating on it too hard really, mostly letting it carry it's speed through the turns. There is one downhill fast section that I braked hard in just to test things and that's where the braking systems kicked in for me.

Thanks for the minor upgrade list Haste, that's just what I was looking for.

BTW, this may have been covered somewhere ad-nauseum, but what about removing the black louvered metal panel underneath the mesh screen on the hood? Seems like it would allow more air flow/cooling.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 04:05 PM
Account Disabled

damn, that was fast.

when you move that bottom thing, it tend not to move that much air out, when you're moving, but it does cool the exhaust manifold and upper ic pipe, which is a plus. It brings in air.

I do it when I do auto-x, so more heat could get out when I"m parked.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

Overall, it's a good thing as it keeps out the rain and debris.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 04:17 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Haste
Overall, it's a good thing as it keeps out the rain and debris.
gee, really? I don't see how a big hole in the hood could bring in the rain and debris.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Let me rephrase. Keeping the louvered metal panel is a good thing as it keeps out extra moisture and debris from getting into the engine bay. How's that?
Old Jul 16, 2005, 04:20 PM
Account Disabled

hks ssqv recir. / or aps dual, GFB dual adjustable, and Tial for BOV recommend.

If you do coilovers, make sure you weigh adjust. Yes the electro adjust does work great, but really the bigger rear sway bar, front tie bars, rear sway bar upgrades really help alot.

Quick Reply: killboy here...buying a Lancer...help me out