Notices
Southeast Region Includes AL, FL, GA, NC, SC, TN, KY.

Florida smog/inspection

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2005, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I should've made that more clear.. I've livedin Miami and Ft Lauderdale my entire life, and we did it ever since I was a kid. Till just about a couple years ago.. I can remember sitting in my Mom's car sooo bored waiting hours to get checked.. I hated it even more when I did it with my modded Eclipses.. Had to bolt the cat back on, and lean out the VPC!!
Old Jul 21, 2005, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jonasan50
As long as a vehicle is being operated in any state, the car must abide by that state's laws.. Good luck!!

I just talked to the CHP (California Highway Patrol) and told them this little story. I told them my dad was going to be driving to CA to visit me for 5 days. (i used 5 as a magic # because you have to register the car in CA after 14 days) I also told them my dad has windows tinting all around which is illegal in CA.

I asked them if my dad was going to get pulled over for having tinted windows and they said he could get a ticket for having tinted windows in CA which would be a fix it ticket ($10) She said it was very highly unlikely that my dad would get pulled over for this when the officer noticed that he had Florida License plate and registration. I then said, "what if the officer decides to give a ticket for the tinting anyway" She said "Well then, a good question would be to ask the officer how you are suppose to comply with this ticket since the car is going back to Florida and that Florida does not have vehicle inspection stations, nor would this be a violation in FL"

She also gave me a phone number of another highway patrol station which had someone very knowledgeable about other state's vehicle code.
They said the CHP would not pull over someone with Florida plates unless they suspected the person was now a resident of the state. I.E. Seeing the car multiple times over a few weeks period. They said that most CHP are aware that there are 14 states in which tinting the front windows is completely legal. He was more concerned over a local PD pulling the person over for the tint in which he said to remind the office that in FL, tinting the windows is legal. If you want to confirm this 714-567-6000. Ask to speak to an officer about equipment violation.

So, this brings me to believe that the equipment violation section is not enforced for out of state cars. Since engine mods, etc, are also part of the CVC equipment section, it should be pretty easy.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is all true.. But, you will eventually run into that one jerk cop that doesnt give a schit!!
Old Feb 13, 2006, 03:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im lovin all of this!
Im movin to Orlando Florida in about a week, to start school at Full Sail.
Im doing the exhaust tommorow, so now that I know about this... SWOOOOSH! ...all Cats are in the basket! *Woot!