Notices
Southeast Region Includes AL, FL, GA, NC, SC, TN, KY.

any good georgia tuners??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2007, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds llike very good advice. Btw, silverEVO8, I noticed that you have an aftermarket stereo in your evo. I have the ssl pkg on my evo. But, I have some misc. components that I have been debating on installing and wondered if you could answer some questions. Do you think it was worth the hassle for the sound? I kinda hate to pull out all of that oem stuff and then turn around and install another system. I have had serious aftermarket stereos in my past three cars. I kinda miss the amazing sound, but it all seems out of place in a performance car like the evo. Seems like I would be going backwards with the handling by putting in a heavy stereo. I'm talking headunit, large gauge wire, front and rear components, 4 channel and 2 channel amps, single 10 or 12. Would you do it all over again?
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EM1toEVO
I just want my daily driver done right the first time. I don't have a ton of time when I get well to travel back and forth up to Atl. or Dalton from Athens. I want it between 300-350hp and reliable. I have an VIII so I will have to do a little more than the IX owners and have a great tune to get there.
Dyno #s aren't everything. For example, on Dyno4mance dynodynamics with just the basic boltons- cams, TBE, fuel pump, tune- I made 292 whp. A friend of mine made 297 whp with similar mods and then made 341 whp on a dynojet so you have to take that into account when you are referring to dyno #s, they all read differently and should only be used as a baseline. What I'm trying to say is, 350 to the wheels on Dyno4mance's dyno is going to be (generally speaking) a complete different animal from 350whp on a dynojet.

I'd suggest picking a tuner and sticking with them unless they give you reason to change. Do your basic boltons first and then decide if that puts you where you want it to power wise or if you still want more. I've never heard anything bad about Andrew at Dyno4mance or Doug @ Topspeed. The bottom line is they are both well respected tuners that know their stuff and IMO you can't go wrong with either.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

Do you think cams are overkill for a daily driver? I just initailly thought about a fuelpump,TBE, boost controller(elec. or man.), gauge(s), and tune to see where that puts me.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sounds llike very good advice. Btw, silverEVO8, I noticed that you have an aftermarket stereo in your evo. I have the ssl pkg on my evo. But, I have some misc. components that I have been debating on installing and wondered if you could answer some questions. Do you think it was worth the hassle for the sound? I kinda hate to pull out all of that oem stuff and then turn around and install another system. I have had serious aftermarket stereos in my past three cars. I kinda miss the amazing sound, but it all seems out of place in a performance car like the evo. Seems like I would be going backwards with the handling by putting in a heavy stereo. I'm talking headunit, large gauge wire, front and rear components, 4 channel and 2 channel amps, single 10 or 12. Would you do it all over again?
If you like the stereo sound from your previous cars, by all means install it in the EVO. The HU is very easy to install with the correct wiring harness which you can buy very readily. I only changed mine so I could play MP3s and hookup the iPod. In reality, my aftermarket stuff does not sound any better than the stock, but it's not really an upgrade. The biggest negative with changing the stereo is that you make the car more tempting for thieves. If you have a nice stereo, you are more likely to get broken into. The huge problem then is that you have damage tp your car *and* get ripped off... If I had to do it over, I'd get the adapter to try to run the iPod from the stock HU and just maybe get an amp and speaker upgrades, although the stock stuff is actually pretty decent and it's a lot less hassle to go through. Personally I think it would take a lot of serious money and hassle to make an audible improvement to the stock EVO stuff. For sure, I think that just "upgrading" the HU to some aftermarket mid level unit is a useless waste of money, time and just adds potential problems.

Just my $.02

Do you think cams are overkill for a daily driver? I just initailly thought about a fuelpump,TBE, boost controller(elec. or man.), gauge(s), and tune to see where that puts me.
In the EVO VIII, cams are mandatory for more power. Boost controller is not a good thing and totally unnecessary if you go with something like the XEDE. TBE is worth about 15~20 whp but it's a pain in the a$$ because of the noise. I took mine off.... Fuel pump is necessary if you go to high HPnumbers, specially in the early EVO VIII. But IMHO, all of it is overkill for a daily commuter. Why add more and more power if you are not going to compete in some form of racing? Of course, I think the EVO is already fast as hell and quite powerful in stock form....

Last edited by silverEVO8; Mar 11, 2007 at 10:39 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

No, not at all. I've daily driven my car for right at 2 years now and am fixing to hit 58,000 miles so I drive quite a bit. I've had my HKS 280s since ~10,000 miles and have loved them since day one.

Last edited by mac_05evo; Mar 11, 2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think I will move up to cams til the rest of the bolt ons are in place. You are right about the evo being quick in stock form compared to most cars. Coming from a n/a honda-it is a night and day difference. I was at a point where I was either gonna boost my honda or get something better. I am glad I made the decision to get an evo!
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

Btw, mac05evo, do you live in Knoxville by chance? I was on business up there once and saw a beautiful WW evo lowered. Couldn't tell what rims were on it though since it was moving.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

To add to it, if you're planning on staying fairly stock, I wouldn't waste my time with the Xede and would just get a manual boost controller for 80 bucks and use ECUFlash for tuning or you can even control boost completely using ECUFlash.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Xede and have had it for almost 2 years now and it is awesome. But unless you are going to take advantage of all it's capabilities such as lean-run protection, NLS, multiple maps, methanol control, etc. it's kind of useless/pointless to spend the $995 or whatever it costs these days. Back a couple of years ago it was great since there was no such thing as ECUFlash, but now that you can essentially do the same thing via free software it's kind of outdated/unnecessary.

Last edited by mac_05evo; Mar 11, 2007 at 10:49 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

I actually live closer to the Cleveland/Chattanooga area..
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

Mac05evo, did you happen to catch my last post? Just curious if that was you.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

Oh ok
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:51 PM

TopSpeed

TopSpeed gets my vote when its time for me to tune, iv seen some of the cars that come out of there and they=QUICK
Old Mar 12, 2007, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by mac_05evo
Dyno #s aren't everything. For example, on Dyno4mance dynodynamics with just the basic boltons- cams, TBE, fuel pump, tune- I made 292 whp. A friend of mine made 297 whp with similar mods and then made 341 whp on a dynojet so you have to take that into account when you are referring to dyno #s, they all read differently and should only be used as a baseline. What I'm trying to say is, 350 to the wheels on Dyno4mance's dyno is going to be (generally speaking) a complete different animal from 350whp on a dynojet.

I'd suggest picking a tuner and sticking with them unless they give you reason to change. Do your basic boltons first and then decide if that puts you where you want it to power wise or if you still want more. I've never heard anything bad about Andrew at Dyno4mance or Doug @ Topspeed. The bottom line is they are both well respected tuners that know their stuff and IMO you can't go wrong with either.
Hey Mac, hope you had fun the other night at dinner in Buckhead. Yeah I got lost and drove into the driveway of some mansion LOL but got myself "found" again! Anyways, it was good meeting you and Kevin. I really appreciate you going all that way and am so glad you did too. You know a lot about tuning Evos!!!
Old Mar 12, 2007, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mac_05evo
To add to it, if you're planning on staying fairly stock, I wouldn't waste my time with the Xede and would just get a manual boost controller for 80 bucks and use ECUFlash for tuning or you can even control boost completely using ECUFlash.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Xede and have had it for almost 2 years now and it is awesome. But unless you are going to take advantage of all it's capabilities such as lean-run protection, NLS, multiple maps, methanol control, etc. it's kind of useless/pointless to spend the $995 or whatever it costs these days. Back a couple of years ago it was great since there was no such thing as ECUFlash, but now that you can essentially do the same thing via free software it's kind of outdated/unnecessary.
I guess I've been under a rock or something like that for a while, but doesn't the ECUFlash require expert tuning as well? I guess free software is pretty good and all, but I can't see how getting some software (in your computer?) takes you to a state of tune where you can just dial up some boost with a spring, a ball and a screw......
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zenman
Hey Mac, hope you had fun the other night at dinner in Buckhead. Yeah I got lost and drove into the driveway of some mansion LOL but got myself "found" again! Anyways, it was good meeting you and Kevin. I really appreciate you going all that way and am so glad you did too. You know a lot about tuning Evos!!!
Haha, had a great time thanks for the invite and meal We were all wondering what had happened to you when we got back to the original place we met, glad you got it figured out lol!