Notices
Southeast Region Includes AL, FL, GA, NC, SC, TN, KY.

Raleigh/Durham/Triangle Area Meet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2009 | 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smanders
To get a really thorough tune, it takes too long on the Dyno. The Dyno is good to make drastic changes and make baby steps to get something going or to get something that has gone completely wrong and make it right.

But to get a thorough tune that works well on the street for daily driving, you need to do Dyno pulls at every throttle position through several gears and log all your actual loads.

I'm also unsure about how well the Dyno can load the vehicle properly. The weight of the vehicle is a large factor in calculating the load along with the amount of air that is flowing into the intake. Its hard to emulate all those factors on a Dyno. The load dictates so much of how the ECU operates. I have been road tuning my Evo ever since the new EBCS was initially tuned at Taylors.

I have been able to make great improvements in overall drivability. I basically log several runs here and there at night and have been slowly tweaking the maps.
UHHHMMM? i got some to say..... what?

Ill be back to this one in a bit......

You lost me at "really thorough tune" not on a dyno part
Old Oct 1, 2009 | 07:24 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by crewdawg130

Old Oct 1, 2009 | 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

what she said
Old Oct 1, 2009 | 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by crewdawg130

Well getting a tune at 80+ TPS is great and pretty straight forward on a dyno. But a good tune from 30-70 takes more time. I don't drive around with my throttle planted 100%....as difficult as it is .

I'm not a fan of just maxing out the BTEL. I believe its better to actually take the time to zero out the Boost Error and find all the actual loads at the different TPS just like the BTEL is setup. Then load the actuals accounting for the Boost Load Offset and of course putting the Boost Error back in.

My boost is very smooth now across all throttle positions taking this approach. It was not smooth just maxing out the BTEL tables. I'm now figuring out when the low gear table is used vs the high gear table. They are not identical stock and I don't think they should be identical after a tune. This is going to take a little more time.

Last edited by smanders; Oct 1, 2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2009 | 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

wanna throw a tune in to mine real quick? nothing aggersive just so I'm not running a/f of 9 have a bung for the 02 and can hook up my wide band if your game.

To get a really thorough tune, it takes too long on the Dyno. The Dyno is good to make drastic changes and make baby steps to get something going or to get something that has gone completely wrong and make it right.

But to get a thorough tune that works well on the street for daily driving, you need to do Dyno pulls at every throttle position through several gears and log all your actual loads. I'm also unsure about how well the Dyno can load the vehicle properly. The weight of the vehicle is a large factor in calculating the load along with the amount of air that is flowing into the intake. Its hard to emulate all those factors on a Dyno. The load dictates so much of how the ECU operates. I have been road tuning my Evo ever since the new EBCS was initially tuned at Taylors.

I have been able to make great improvements in overall drivability. I basically log several runs here and there at night and have been slowly tweaking the maps.

I have a dedicated Acer Netbook, Open Port 2.0, EvoScan, EcuFlash, and an Innovate LC-1 wideband. I decided to get a HFC to easily integrate the wideband. I'm really pleased with the setup. However, the learning curve has been steep but its coming along.
Old Oct 1, 2009 | 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Here's a good reference for Engine Load.

http://www.stealth316.com/2-fuelinjection.htm#j3a

Here's a great reference for Boost.

http://www.perrinperformance.com/pages/show/113
Old Oct 1, 2009 | 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Well getting a tune at 80+ TPS is great and pretty straight forward on a dyno. But a good tune from 30-70 takes more time. I don't drive around with my throttle planted 100%....as difficult as it is .

I'm not a fan of just maxing out the BTEL. I believe its better to actually take the time to zero out the Boost Error and find all the actual loads at the different TPS just like the BTEL is setup. Then load the actuals accounting for the Boost Load Offset and of course putting the Boost Error back in.

My boost is very smooth now across all throttle positions taking this approach. It was not smooth just maxing out the BTEL tables. I'm now figuring out when the low gear table is used vs the high gear table. They are not identical stock and I don't think they should be identical after a tune. This is going to take a little more time.
wow...ok

How fast are you goin at 30%tps and at 70???

If your fuel trims are set why are you trying to tune closeloop?

whats your tps% at 55mph?
Old Oct 1, 2009 | 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tweaker41
I have one. I think they have a newer version out, The car tends to wheel hop at low rpm take offs but It feels like it decreased engine movement a little and made shifting a little smoother when I'm on the throttle. All-in-all I'll probably just put a lightweight center member there instead. I think your talking about their engine roll stopper or the mount connected to the center member.
I was thinking about getting that light weight center member also...if you get it let me know how it is...I actually jack my car up from my center member (which maybe I shouldn't do but oh well) so if I get the light weight 1 I'm not sure where I will jack my car up from correctly...I'm not a big fan of jacking each side up...but maybe i will have to...
Old Oct 1, 2009 | 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeovannie
If anyone cares here are some pics I took today

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post7566287
I just looked at that thread...car is sexy as hell man...nice job...u coming to fville dragway sunday??
Old Oct 1, 2009 | 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Ali...that is the same 1 I have and told u to get...its cheap and works...first thing I did to my car when it was bone stock...noticed a big difference...
Old Oct 1, 2009 | 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
I just looked at that thread...car is sexy as hell man...nice job...u coming to fville dragway sunday??
maybe, isn't tomorrow FF?
Old Oct 1, 2009 | 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Ali...that is the same 1 I have and told u to get...its cheap and works...first thing I did to my car when it was bone stock...noticed a big difference...
then set me up with an appointment at the BJ Autocenter (aka ur garage) and i will be there someday..lol

hows ur job going man? still doing these crazy hours?
Old Oct 1, 2009 | 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeovannie
maybe, isn't tomorrow FF?
yeah but we all planned to go sunday...

Originally Posted by detroit pistins
then set me up with an appointment at the BJ Autocenter (aka ur garage) and i will be there someday..lol

you know all u need to do it bring beer and I shall wrench...haha...I may need to borrow a reciprocating saw from Tony if he has 1...Thats how I cut my stock motor mount out...there are other ways to do it but i think that is the easiest and quickest...
Old Oct 1, 2009 | 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

yeah but we all planned to go sunday...

you know all u need to do it bring beer and I shall wrench...haha...I may need to borrow a reciprocating saw from Tony if he has 1...Thats how I cut my stock motor mount out...there are other ways to do it but i think that is the easiest and quickest...

good call! will do one of those days then.
I am waitting on scott's (ttp) paypal, and should probably recieve it soon.
Old Oct 1, 2009 | 08:33 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by detroit pistins

Doesn't Justin work at the BJ Auto Center where all Kanuter valve inspections are free?

Quick Reply: Raleigh/Durham/Triangle Area Meet