Notices
Southeast Region Includes AL, FL, GA, NC, SC, TN, KY.

Raleigh/Durham/Triangle Area Meet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011 | 04:02 AM

I'm going to sit this one out...too many things around the house that have been queuing up since I hurt my back a few weeks ago.

I'll def try to make the one in May, though...hopefully it'll be a little warmer, too!
Old Apr 2, 2011 | 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

I'm heading out in a few mins. I have to leave early today, probably around 10:30, to get to my soccer game
Old Apr 2, 2011 | 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Oh man, I'm tired.

It was good to meet everyone who went. As expected, there were a lot of sick cars out there. It was a great maiden voyage for me and the Evo.

Thanks for the ride, the feedback, and the education, Ali!
Old Apr 2, 2011 | 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 'Lectric_Blu_IX
I'm going to sit this one out...too many things around the house that have been queuing up since I hurt my back a few weeks ago.

I'll def try to make the one in May, though...hopefully it'll be a little warmer, too!
I am struggling with an elbow tendonitis injury so cannt imagine what ur going thru. get well man! Icing it often and using vultaren jel seems to help in my case.
Originally Posted by dbotkin5
I'm heading out in a few mins. I have to leave early today, probably around 10:30, to get to my soccer game
u probably left right b4 i showed up....2bad didnt get to see ur new setup

Originally Posted by FERNO
Oh man, I'm tired.

It was good to meet everyone who went. As expected, there were a lot of sick cars out there. It was a great maiden voyage for me and the Evo.

Thanks for the ride, the feedback, and the education, Ali!
my pleasure man! unfortunatly I only know a lil bit about our cars, but I am glad it was useful to u. there are alot more brains in this thread than Iam u just gotta catch them sober

to all.........I took a ride in jay's evo (aka ferno), and here are my thoughts:
1) exhaust drone is unreal, i dont know how he does it but now i understand why he bit**es about it all the time. its a straight thru pipe with what looked to be either a vibrant or ebay muffler. above 3krpm and u need ear plugs.
2) Ohlin suspension setup is AMAZING, the car feels so damn tight...tighter than...nvr mind....really nice handling!
3) brakes....alcon front big brake kit...bueatiful!
4) overall, one of the cleanest evo8's i have seen. nice stock interior.
enjoy her!
Old Apr 2, 2011 | 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Ali, you showed up?! Not sure if anybody got any good shots of my car or not.

Great turnout today overall. That SLR was sick.

Robert - Good to see you today. That's a good looking kid you've got Hope you can make it out to some more meets this summer.
Old Apr 2, 2011 | 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by detroit pistins
my pleasure man! unfortunatly I only know a lil bit about our cars, but I am glad it was useful to u. there are alot more brains in this thread than Iam u just gotta catch them sober

to all.........I took a ride in jay's evo (aka ferno), and here are my thoughts:
1) exhaust drone is unreal, i dont know how he does it but now i understand why he bit**es about it all the time. its a straight thru pipe with what looked to be either a vibrant or ebay muffler. above 3krpm and u need ear plugs.
2) Ohlin suspension setup is AMAZING, the car feels so damn tight...tighter than...nvr mind....really nice handling!
3) brakes....alcon front big brake kit...bueatiful!
4) overall, one of the cleanest evo8's i have seen. nice stock interior.
enjoy her!
Thanks man! That drone is insane, right? HAHA. I told you it was brutal. I think my first 50 posts on this site were complaining about my exhaust.

It just goes to show you how differently people think. While riding in your Evo, I was thinking the whole time: "damn I cannot WAIT for my junk to ride like this!" and the whole time you were in my car you were grinning and going on about my suspension. hah. That was great.

Both rides were fun though... I plan to have that drone fixed by the May meet. Believe that. If anything, riding in your car and hearing the other guys' really puts the pressure on me to change the sound. You guys are out enjoying your cars and I'm parking my shiz in the garage.

Oh, and d's white X was every bit as bad *** as it looks in pics. Hawt!
Old Apr 2, 2011 | 10:31 PM

Can anyone make any recommendations for paint & body shops in the area?
Old Apr 3, 2011 | 03:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by krackmonkey
Can anyone make any recommendations for paint & body shops in the area?
I haven't had any work done in Raleigh personally, but I can offer some info.

I've seen Precision Collision's work on BMW's and Mercedes, and you could not tell that any work was done. Work that Leith BMW or Mercedes need for NEW cars or demos gets sent there. I have a friend that works at Leith that I've talked to about it.

Supposedly Automotive Collision Services in Fuquay-Varina is where the Ferrari's go, but I couldn't find any reference to them on google just now. It may have been bought/consolidated or closed. I owned a car that had been fixed there previously, and you could not tell it had any paint work despite being 6 years old.

That said, my wife's CRV was the subject of a hit-and-run "investigation" last night by Raleigh PD. I moved it out of the driveway and into the street on our cul-de-sac (parked HALF in my yard, and only half in the street) and somehow the door got smashed. I didn't notice it until I went to pull it back in last night. I have a feeling it was the neighbor's teenage son's friends. Those bastards are always flying in and out of my neighborhood on three wheels and blowing their factory speakers with Lady Gaga while the windows are down. I doubt the cowards will come back over to visit in the same car, but nevertheless I'll be on the lookout. Where was I?

My wife has heard great things about a shop on Westgate from a friend of hers that recently had a black accord repaired. Our's is an old CRV that sits outside so I don't really care too much as long as they fix it right. It's close to my house too so I'll go along with her and take it there.

If I had to get my Evo painted, I would check out ACS in Fuquay FIRST based on the car I owned that had been fixed there, then Precision SECOND as they are a "production" body shop, which means they get cars in and get them out and quality can depend on the tech more than the owner. If I weren't happy with either one, I'd take it down to Southern Pines to a painter who is a friend of mine that does immaculate work but takes a month.

Maybe someone else can offer more information. If it is your Evo that is getting fixed, let me know how your experience goes. Good luck!
Old Apr 3, 2011 | 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

It was nice seeing you guys again. I know it's short notice but my cousin is coming up in two weeks and he's a professional photographer. I'd like to set up a big meet next week. Maybe Saturday the 16th? We can take some pro shots of whoever wants to come out (fo free).
Old Apr 3, 2011 | 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Count me in.

In reference to krackmonkey, I agree with Ferno about Precision Collision's has a good reputation around here and is where Leith BMW sends their cars. I've only had paint work done on my gf's car and we took it to Hendrick in Durham. They did a good job as well. Looked good as new after.
Old Apr 3, 2011 | 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

speaking of bodyshops.........woke up this morning, gorgous day out, had big plans to take care of bunch of stuff, and possibly hitup fayetville for test & tune. As I am exitting my complex, some lady decided to make the assumption that I wasnt gonna make a full stop at the stop sign entering Capital and slammed into me @5-10mph.
long story short, we tried taking care of it without making it a big deal, since the damage didnt seem too big at first, but looking closely under the car, 1 of them beams that is connected to the crash beam seemed to have absorbed most of the hit.
She admitted to the cop that it was her fault, and now her insurance got me an inspection/estimate appointment with hadock in wakeforest for an estimate. they'r supposdly going to cover everything so no need for my insurance. will let the pics do the talking!

Name:  acc3.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  135.9 KB
Name:  acc1.jpg
Size:  151.5 KB
Name:  acc2.jpg
Size:  155.3 KB
Name:  acc4.jpg
Size:  120.0 KB
Name:  acc5.jpg
Size:  131.7 KB

inside the bumper damage:
Name:  acc6.jpg
Size:  37.5 KB

Name:  acc8.jpg
Size:  84.8 KB

I think I got pretty lucky that my exhaust tip went into her bumper mesh and not the actualy bumper or else the impact would have went all the way to the turbo/manifold and things could have been worse.
after the hit...decided this wont kill my appetite for the weekly complete interior/exterior wash/wax session for her, so did that and here are the after pics..........I luv her!
Name:  IMAG0068.jpg
Size:  154.7 KB
Name:  IMAG0067.jpg
Size:  158.9 KB
Name:  IMAG0066.jpg
Size:  163.1 KB
Name:  IMAG0064.jpg
Size:  185.4 KB
a shot of the exterior damage:
Name:  IMAG0063.jpg
Size:  98.9 KB
Name:  IMAG0062.jpg
Size:  159.3 KB
Name:  IMAG0061.jpg
Size:  112.6 KB

on a side note: anyone know anyone at haddock?
Old Apr 3, 2011 | 04:39 PM

I got hit at the same spot Ali 4 months after I got my car. Luckily, there was no damage behind the bumper just a few scratches on my bumper that I wax to cover it up. It gives me a reason to get a jdm rear bumper (although i probably won't. haha!). At least no one was hurt. On a side note, I finally changed my brake pads today. It took me 4 hours to get all of them done. Thanks Ali and Dan for the quick response to my questions!
Old Apr 3, 2011 | 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Damn man, really sorry to see that. That's still one of the sexiest crashed evos i've ever seen though :P

JDM bumper now? may as well.
Old Apr 3, 2011 | 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Looks like the bumper held up pretty well. What were you thinking stopping at that stop sign? Stupid kids in your rice rockets Glad her insurance is taking care of everything.
Old Apr 3, 2011 | 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Ron, Ya that itersection is really bad, they def. need to add a light on it. It usualy takes me atleast 2-5mins in the morning trying to get out of it without having to gun it and rev the car over 3k rpm that early. it sucks but so does the timing on the rest of the lights on capital.....its a pain if u have to go thru it often!
btw which pads did u end up going with?

Robert, Thanks man! I sold my previouse evo for the reason that it had a lil hit, and always had it in the back of my head that I will try my best to avoid getting into one with this one but I guess it was meant to be. It was really nice seeing u and ur family this weekend.

Dan, no kidding right! ya thought of the jdm rear but not sure if it flows well with the wing. I think if i ever do switch to jdm, then I will def. remove the wing and see how it flows together.

Quick Reply: Raleigh/Durham/Triangle Area Meet