Notices
Southeast Region Includes AL, FL, GA, NC, SC, TN, KY.

Cosmo Motors in Hickory, NC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 06:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by simmo
I got my used '03 Evo 8 here, back in 2009. The salesman I was dealing with and cosmo himself told me that the car was completely "bone stock". It wasn't. After purchasing the car I learnt that it had an after-market intake/MAF sensor, a cheap fitting aftermarket CBE that stuck out at an angle, and it had been lowered (slammed) on megan racing springs. Not a whole lot of mods, but certainly not "bone stock".

At my own cost, I replaced the cheap exhaust and ripped out those nasty lowering springs and replaced them with stock MR bilsteins.

Since then I've had no issues with the car, overall it was a good experience, the car has been 100% reliable.

Maybe they just don't know what "bone stock" means.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very interesting. I can say through my dealings with them (Matt in particular) they've been more than helpful, even offering me a decent amount of equity on my potential trade-in. Seem to be good guys
Old Sep 1, 2011, 03:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by GUnited
very interesting. I can say through my dealings with them (Matt in particular) they've been more than helpful, even offering me a decent amount of equity on my potential trade-in. Seem to be good guys
Of course they seem to be good guys. They are car salesmen. They are trying to sell you something very expensive that likely has a very high profit margin.

Just make sure you ask them about the previous owner, whether the car has records, whether the car has a clean title, whether the car has been repossessed, etc etc. Don't treat them differently than any other car dealership and don't assume they really "know" Evos. In my opinion, they have not shown themselves to be very knowledgeable about the cars.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Of course they seem to be good guys. They are car salesmen. They are trying to sell you something very expensive that likely has a very high profit margin.

Just make sure you ask them about the previous owner, whether the car has records, whether the car has a clean title, whether the car has been repossessed, etc etc. Don't treat them differently than any other car dealership and don't assume they really "know" Evos. In my opinion, they have not shown themselves to be very knowledgeable about the cars.
^^^ all statements which are viable and true. Lol they were gonna give me some good money on my RSX-S trade-in but I read that one guys experience from VA and that'd suck... especially driving 7 hours
Old Sep 4, 2011, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have contacted them on multiple occassions and keep getting, " the owner is not in". I left my number with the person who answered the call each time and I have never heard back from them.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 06:05 AM

When I went there a few months back I wasnt impressed at all... Yes they had a large variety of Evos. But the owner was a cocky ***** that acted like he didnt care to sell anything. The salesman I had was pretty cool. Then the owner started bashing their competition giving me all these reasons about why they are better than such and such etc. and to me from a business stand point is just immature. So I chose to leave them alone.

Also when I asked the history on some of their cars such as previous owners, previous accidents, mods etc. they buy them from auction 99% of the time so they never really know whats the truth unless its a trade in with detailed paperwork.

Last edited by cam6702; Sep 5, 2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:34 AM

I bought my 06 Evo Mr there bout a year ago. Yes they are good quality cars but expensive and if you don't look Like you have money and are serious they wont give you the time of day.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
editt

Last edited by bnr34rb26dett; Sep 24, 2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 08:15 AM

i emailed them about an srt for sale. told them they were asking above retail.. offered kbb pricing as a base starting price and asked for a counter offer.. his reply was "good luck". which i pretty much took as F off.. i wouldn't buy a car from them just because they seem like cocky douche bag sales reps. out to get a dollar anyway they can. unfriendly customer service cost them my business.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 08:32 AM

I purchased my rr ix gsr 2 months ago from there. I was dealing with them for about a month trying to get a bank to finance me due to a repo on my x. Chance, the salesman was a real down to earth guy. He picked me up from the airport an hour away and offered for me to crash at his house for the night because I had to drive my car back to Orlando. Cosmo came up to me and personally thanked me for my business. The reason imo for their prices is because they offer cars that get beat on like ours and they take the time to fix them before putting them up for sale. My car had a brand new tcase, brake pads and clutch put in before I purchased it. The mechanics there are pretty knowledgable about these cars and they all get retuned prior to a sale. They will also buy your car back if you can't afford it. At least that is what was said to me.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 06:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by jonathanevox
The reason imo for their prices is because they offer cars that get beat on like ours and they take the time to fix them before putting them up for sale. My car had a brand new tcase, brake pads and clutch put in before I purchased it. The mechanics there are pretty knowledgable about these cars and they all get retuned prior to a sale. They will also buy your car back if you can't afford it. At least that is what was said to me.

You think they paid for that? Or do you think they tried to get it done as a warranty job?

Remember, auction cars are pretty cheap, especially modified ones that most dealerships are scared of. For a "knowledgeable" shop you'd think they would know what a stock clutch, flywheel and BOV feel like.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno

You think they paid for that? Or do you think they tried to get it done as a warranty job?

Remember, auction cars are pretty cheap, especially modified ones that most dealerships are scared of. For a "knowledgeable" shop you'd think they would know what a stock clutch, flywheel and BOV feel like.
Let's look at this from a consumer and from a business perspective. As a consumer if I am purchasing an evo or any vehicle for that matter I am looking for a quality vehicle that drives well and is reliable. Would I really be concerned how the business acquired the parts to make the car right?... The answer is no. All I as the consumer is concerned about is that it was fixed and fixed correctly.
Now from a business perspective, wouldn't it be more profitable to try to get the car fixed under warranty instead of out of pocket if they could? Could you blame the business if they were able to pull that off? I have been driving the car for thousands of miles and everything is ok. They installed everything in house and when I said knowledgable, I did not mean they were Buschur. I just meant they have an idea of what they are doing.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 08:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Let's look at this from a consumer and from a business perspective. As a consumer if I am purchasing an evo or any vehicle for that matter I am looking for a quality vehicle that drives well and is reliable. Would I really be concerned how the business acquired the parts to make the car right?... The answer is no. All I as the consumer is concerned about is that it was fixed and fixed correctly.
Now from a business perspective, wouldn't it be more profitable to try to get the car fixed under warranty instead of out of pocket if they could? Could you blame the business if they were able to pull that off? I have been driving the car for thousands of miles and everything is ok. They installed everything in house and when I said knowledgable, I did not mean they were Buschur. I just meant they have an idea of what they are doing.

The used car sales is a very hard business to be in. We do re-tune most of his cars. I do try to look them over and tell him what I think they need. I dont get the chance to make him put the right parts on them, but I still do suggest. He does try to make them right, he has been sending transfer cases to shep now for awhile and we all know that is one thing that goes wrong with the evos if they are not serviced correctly. So he does put some effort into them. Could he put more effort into them? I say yes but then his profit margin would probably go away.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

I think his point was that the poster above him would seem to indicate they did everything in house.......if they did it would require time, knowledge and some TLC. If they have a service adviser they are cool with at Mitsubishi then they are nothing more then a conveyor belt.

Either way they seem to be hit or miss.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

I thought I would add another GREAT experience with COSMO MOTORS

My fiance and I purchased a modified z06 from Cosmo motors. The showroom was impeccable and the salesmen were very friendly. The salesmen did a great job with answering all of our questions and if they didn't know, they were on the phone to find the answer! Cosmo motors went above and beyond to aid in the purchase of this vehicle. When the pick up of this vehicle was delayed, the staff kept in constant contact and the finance man even got us a better rate! I would definitely recommend buying a used car from this dealership. My fiance and I felt the staff were very honest and not once did we feel uncomfortable with this purchase.

Quick Reply: Cosmo Motors in Hickory, NC