Notices

Anyone running Synthetic or when is it safe to swap to synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2009, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone running Synthetic or when is it safe to swap to synthetic?

The service manager at a local dealer adviced me to do atleast 2 oil change (6k x 2) using regular oil prior to upgrading to synthetic.

What do you guys think? Can I swap to synthetic once I hit 6k? Planning to go with AmsOil since I never had any issues when I used to use with my is300.

TY
Old Mar 30, 2009, 08:42 PM

royal purple and mobil1 are very good synthetic oils
Old Mar 30, 2009, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by rontam90
royal purple and mobil1 are very good synthetic oils
im hating my royal purple.. im going back to mobil
Old Mar 30, 2009, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

I'm running AMSoil 0W-20 for the past 10K. Its awesome. I used the AMSoil engine flush before I switched over to the synthetic. Was like $8 for the bottle so not bad. The rep said when u 1st switch to synthetic its a good idea to flush the engine to clean out all the gunk from the regular oil so the sythetic lasts longer.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the reply

I believe my question was misinterpreted here ... I wasn't trying to get a second opinion regarding AmsOil or What Synthetic oil brand will do well with my car. I used AmsOil products for many years and had phenomenal experience with it. Now Synthetic oil is more a personal preference for some so if you find another brand works well with your setup, then good for you. I used Royal Purple and Mobil1 in the past and I too had good experiences then.

My concern was if I hit 6,000 KM and decide to do the flush and swap to AmsOil (Synthetic).. will it cause any damages: cylinders/ Engine because I'm doing it too soon?

The service manager at a local dealer mentioned 2 oil changes using regular oil is required before swapping to synthetic. (That's 12,000 km later but I want to switch to Synthetic sooner)

brads09lancerGT, how long exactly did wait (kms wise) before you upgraded to synthetic oil?
Old Mar 31, 2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by imamamasboy
I believe my question was misinterpreted here ... I wasn't trying to get a second opinion regarding AmsOil or What Synthetic oil brand will do well with my car. I used AmsOil products for many years and had phenomenal experience with it. Now Synthetic oil is more a personal preference for some so if you find another brand works well with your setup, then good for you. I used Royal Purple and Mobil1 in the past and I too had good experiences then.

My concern was if I hit 6,000 KM and decide to do the flush and swap to AmsOil (Synthetic).. will it cause any damages: cylinders/ Engine because I'm doing it too soon?

The service manager at a local dealer mentioned 2 oil changes using regular oil is required before swapping to synthetic. (That's 12,000 km later but I want to switch to Synthetic sooner)

brads09lancerGT, how long exactly did wait (kms wise) before you upgraded to synthetic oil?
you dont need to wait... i did mine at 12, 000km
Old Mar 31, 2009, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

I did mine at 6K and no problems so far(knock on wood). My dealer said they could put Mobil1 in for my 1st oil change thru the dealer but they wanted $100, so I did mine with AMSoil and it was a bit cheaper and IMO I got way better oil. I thought it was safe since the dealer said they could put Mobil1 in at 6K.