Notices

Help me find the cheaper way to lower my car

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2009, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
basic coilovers only come height adjustable
basic set would probably cost u 1000
but for around 1200-1300 u should be able to get a decent set obviously not intended for heavy track use, just occasional track use
look for ones that come with adjustable dampers, pillowball upper mount, adjustable camber, and ride height.

honestly i'd hold off until next year to get coilovers though bcuz currently only megans + bc racing have coilover kits out

rather wait for at least another 1 or 2 brands and have ppl in the states who are always in warm weather do some reviews. just so your not the guinea pig, well unless ur made of money, then u'd probably own an evo X =P
Old Jul 25, 2009, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WoW
It's the cheaper way!

man oh man, is this club full of knowledge

Considering that i've spoken to blackheart in person and have made my suggestions regarding parts, I would consider that being more helpful than being a douch on the internet. And how helpful is it to suggest coil-overs as a cheap way to lower the car? The cheapest way is to install springs nuff-said.

Who is this guy? Do you come to meets or any events? If you truly believe that statement then feel free to browse outside of the clubs forums, it's just that simple...

Last edited by Hydrolikz; Jul 25, 2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 09:57 PM
WoW
Account Disabled

What did the other members of this club suggest? Pot-Hole, Extra Weight, misleading info, and a name of a shop to do the install. What the Fu(k?

At least i offered a cheap method of lowering the car, although i'd highly suggest the OP not to do it.

I then gave him the next best option, cheap coils.

Installing springs will only cost the OP more in the long run. (Blown Struts, Camber Plates, multiple alignments / install)

Oh, TLC is such a helpful club, did you see anyone else even OFFER TO INSTALL HIS PARTS FOR HIM??

/rant.

Last edited by WoW; Jul 25, 2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

giving a good bodyshop that includes alignment is a very good suggestion imo. unless you can DIY an alignment.

regardless how much DIY works you can do, i still prefer to have it done in a good, quality shop where you get a good service on the springs. sure it blows out in a year or two. then hopefully you planned ahead to get coilevers then. like you said it's around 1000 bucks; no honest hard working average people can pull that $$$ in a heartbeat. if you want something good before the summer ends, and which is what i think the original thread post was meant for, spring is the way to go.

i've been looking for a good spring installer shop + alignment (a must for lowering) for my ride in the near future actually. and i highly doubt anyone can give you a good alignment "DIY".

wow you rn't wrong dude. but you were on a diff page. no hard feelings.

Last edited by jappaswat; Jul 25, 2009 at 10:14 PM. Reason: typo...
Old Jul 25, 2009, 10:21 PM
WoW
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by jappaswat

i've been looking for a good spring installer shop + alignment (a must for lowering) for my ride in the near future actually. and i highly doubt anyone can give you a good alignment "DIY".

wow you rn't wrong dude. but you were on a diff page. no hard feelings.
None taken.

You can easily DIY an alignment job with just strings, and calipers.

Infact, most of the Nascar teams still use this method to do their alignments.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 10:24 PM
WoW
Account Disabled

Here's a very basic DIY.

and when the car's up, you can even do your Droop Limiting and paint your calipers! (as i know that's a popular mod with the lancer guys)

http://www.grabercars.com/content/view/29/2/

Last edited by WoW; Jul 25, 2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 10:26 PM
WoW
Account Disabled

whoops, double post
Old Jul 26, 2009, 06:32 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im in the boat of why spend money on just springs to have your shocks blow out in a year then have to spend money once again to buy coils then. Why not just stay at stock for now, save for coils and spend money once?

if you come up to barrie, I can help with the install of your coils and alignment.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

^ +1
thats why i've been waiting, probably by next spring i'll have coilovers

also because i drive my steeles ave. aka one of the worst maintained streets in ontario, my shcoks would blow in 6 months instead of 1 to 2 years so i held off on the springs until i can get coils
Old Jul 26, 2009, 10:03 AM

Hi

Originally Posted by Hydrolikz
Considering that i've spoken to blackheart in person and have made my suggestions regarding parts, I would consider that being more helpful than being a douch on the internet. And how helpful is it to suggest coil-overs as a cheap way to lower the car? The cheapest way is to install springs nuff-said.

Who is this guy? Do you come to meets or any events? If you truly believe that statement then feel free to browse outside of the clubs forums, it's just that simple...

Thanks buddy..., yea cheapest n the save, i was suggested maliks store
Old Jul 26, 2009, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

^No prob, if you know what springs you want to get let me know and i'll hook you up.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbotime
Im in the boat of why spend money on just springs to have your shocks blow out in a year then have to spend money once again to buy coils then. Why not just stay at stock for now, save for coils and spend money once?

if you come up to barrie, I can help with the install of your coils and alignment.
i agree with you too on this, but if people want lowering NOW, then get springs and save for coils. i'm going to wait for coils though; planning to save up and buy BCs in taiwan in a year or two; it's the supplier for 2008 lancer megan coils and im planning to travel back and buy them there.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 07:46 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes I understand he wants something now.. I was just pointing out that if he's going to be going with coils later, whats the rush for springs? they are what 1/3 of the cost of coils if not more so why waste the money now when you can sit tight spend your money smart and do things once.
Thats all..

Its always best to set and outline for upgrades you want complete and work toward them one step at a time. Spend your money once and smart... your not going to get far buying parts every stage of the way trying to sell them off as you move up. Your losing big time in the long run.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Yes I understand he wants something now.. I was just pointing out that if he's going to be going with coils later, whats the rush for springs? they are what 1/3 of the cost of coils if not more so why waste the money now when you can sit tight spend your money smart and do things once.
Thats all..

Its always best to set and outline for upgrades you want complete and work toward them one step at a time. Spend your money once and smart... your not going to get far buying parts every stage of the way trying to sell them off as you move up. Your losing big time in the long run.
+1 def.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Thats all..

See where you are coming from. The problem with the lancer as soon as you get rims and tires (almost the first mod anyone does) you have to deal with the huge ugly gap that comes with stock springs. You could match the same tire specs as the dunlops but who wants a 60 profile tire on new rims. You will end up wasting your money on tires. Its hard to complete the look with that gap.

Quick Reply: Help me find the cheaper way to lower my car