Notices

Rookies' Sprint Booster experience

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2009 | 08:40 PM

Rookies' Sprint Booster experience

If your an individual that despise this product, please refrain from reading since you wont find anything within this post that you can agree with. Many, as you all know, only says negative feedback regarding this SPRINT BOOSTER power converter modification:

• waste of money
  • doesn't work
  • no gain of either hp/ lb-ft hence no improvement on a 1/4mile race
  • fry your ECU (when it literally only uses a volt to work) and the list goes on.....
Now... with that being said, I'm one of the nonbelievers. Since I never tried the product, I never took the time to speculate and publish my thoughts of which were all hypothesis.
For a good week, I was debating as to whether I should get an Injen Cold Air Intake 1st or the sprint booster. I spent a vast amount of dedicated hours to research which one is a great buy.

starting with the cold air intake, every forum I visited says the same con and that is the Hydrolock issue. Also, the intake, as mentioned by other reviewers, hypothetically speaking only kicks in when you hit MIVEC or mid to high rpms. I dont usually race dodge caravans (there's plenty in Brampton) to the next stop light so the roar/power the intake produces wont be as pronounced.

With that being said, I wanted a mod that will do me good from low in transition to higher rpms. From launching with 3 passengers to overtaking grandma cars on a hot summer day on 401. I needed something that will work.

I asked the following for their inputs: 6 tlc members and 2 other non tlc lancer buddies. 3 out of 8 of these individuals said go for the Sprint booster. I even called one of my source for aftermarket parts whose really kickin it hard with the import scene and he snapped at me for even thinking into buying a SB. not a good sign....
everything is contradicting what the sprint booster had advertised. placebo, dont work, etc....

Today I decided to ask evo soul if he could come with me down to JRP. At the moment, I could careless of what people have to say about the product. I wanted to evaluate it myself. Man let me tell you, I was as sketchy as **ck when i saw the product. The Sb is literally as large, if not, smaller than my nokia n73 lcd screen. Its plastic too!!!

I was like "329$+taxes, for this?"
I have never been so eager to try out something in my life. The thing is I actually didnt have any expectations with this mod, so if ever things did not turn out the way it says on the box, I wont be disappointed.

one of the jrp staff handed a Sprint booster to soul whom immedietly installed it w/ the help of sly. I told the guy im insanely doubting this product. He said i have nothing to lose by trying it out for free. dont like it, return it no problem. no cash payment upfront for trying it around the block, or even round the city! as long as you come back and return it then its all good.

Let me tell you, ive never been so wrong and impressed of anything. Sprint booster was able to accelerate my car, with 3 people on board and a custom a/b (which killed the torque and acceleration of my car), faster than it did with my stock configurations w/ no passengers. and it gets better, we took it for a spin down the q.e.w and turned on the a/c max while cruisin 100km/h. soul told me to overtake and that i did. again, sprint booster did the job without hesitations and compromised operations. All power and acceleration. 100% juice!

now before you say this is bs, I just want to say to you all that im very sensitive with the changes happening with my car. And with the sprint booster, I definetly felt the difference. its almost as evident as someone smacking you on the cheeks. how can you not feel that pain?

My only suggestion is that if you havnt tried it, dont say bad things about it. Try it first, if you dont like it, feel free to talk smash about it.
It was my curiosity that lead me into trying this product despite of the high volume of negative critisism ive been reading. I did not let other people decide how I will be spending my hard earned money, that is why I gave it a try. Again, nothing to lose when your playing around with a 329$+tax product for FREE.

all i can say is that soul was right.

Conclusion: after installing this, i invited my two other buddies to drive my car and immedietly corrected their thoughts from getting a cai into getting a SB first. that makes it 5 out of 8 (take into consideration that these 3 outstanding people does not own a SB)

again, try it first before you take matters into your own hands. by that i mean posting comments about the product without having to try it out first, therefore affecting those who plans into buying a sb.

i really love this mod and i could definetly say that its worth every penny.

these are all my opinions. This post is not created for me to convince you to buy a sprint booster, but rather give an example to those who seek a non bias review. I own it, ill review it. You read it and its up to you to decide either to go for it or not .
Old Oct 6, 2009 | 09:53 PM

Bro, i went through the same process of looking at forums , researching and asking questions, all negative but few positive results.

So i also went out and bought my SB from jrp, ignoring what people had to say and i was driving home with a big smile on my face. the car finally felt like it wanted to move. Ive had it for a few months and been liking it ever since.
Old Oct 6, 2009 | 11:27 PM

hows the fuel consumption though? did it increase during regular daily driving?
Old Oct 7, 2009 | 08:20 AM

Now since you have the sprintbooster -- now pair it with the aluminum crank pulley from RRM -- all I can say is WOW!!!! - The 2009 Lancer GTS 2.4 5SPD really wakes up with this 2 together -- mind you i have the following mods in my car -- injen cai - rrm header - rrm magnaflow and pulse plugs -- Now I can't really complain -- all I can say all the power I needed in a DD is there....from lowend to the top end.
Old Oct 7, 2009 | 08:24 AM
Former Sponsor

exactly what I have been saying all along. In regards to the CVT. Its just the perfect mod for our car. Cause it make it finally wake up and start accelerating properly. If I had to start selling my mods, I think the last one I would sell would be my sprint booster. Its that good.

From time to time we have a JRP sprintbooster day, so I am thinking some time before halloween we will go down there for another demo day.

That said, I am glad you enjoyed it Rookie.

Originally Posted by qJai
hows the fuel consumption though? did it increase during regular daily driving?

while your testing it out to see the difference, yes, but you really wont consume much more gas, because your not going to be trying to accelerate hard all the time. Our Auto Sprintbooster is calibrated to make the Middle range of the gas pedal sensitive, not the entire pedal. You remain in total command of how agreesive you launch your car. But when you need your car to get up and go, you can tap a little more and get that RPM needle where you want it, 2500 - 3200 RPM. Anyone who drives a CVT knows that its real hard to get it up to or above 2500 RPM.

Last edited by evo_soul; Oct 7, 2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old Oct 7, 2009 | 08:59 AM

is this the SB you are talking about?

http://www.sprintboosterusa.com/c-138-mt.aspx
Old Oct 7, 2009 | 09:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hdrasta
is this the SB you are talking about?

http://www.sprintboosterusa.com/c-138-mt.aspx
Not that one.... thats for the manual transmission. Its calibrated for a more sensitive low end of the pedal.

The Auto Tranny one is http://www.sprintboosterusa.com/c-289-at.aspx
This one has the middle of the pedal more sensitive / appropriate for more responsive driving for the road and highway.
Old Oct 7, 2009 | 09:09 AM

well i have the M/T so that one would probably be the one I buy
Old Oct 7, 2009 | 10:15 AM

So basically it's just stepping on the gas for you?!?

I'm no nay-sayer but I think what those people who say negative things about it are trying to say is for the price of the SB, they don't think it's practical for something they can do themselves..maybe they thought: "how hard is it to step on the gas?"
I dunno, enlighten me..lol
Old Oct 7, 2009 | 10:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by stitchflip

I'm no nay-sayer but I think what those people who say negative things about it are trying to say is for the price of the SB, they don't think it's practical for something they can do themselves..maybe they thought: "how hard is it to step on the gas?"
I hear that argument alot, and the sad thing is its really hard to explain how it does it and how it feels.

But its not just a multiplying of throttle position. As I explained with the CVT. if very easy and predicable to get the transmission to select the gear ratio you want. Without SB... in those situation when you want to really get up and go, but not want 100% throttle, its very hard to step on the pedal and get it to be in the zone you want it in.

Anyone who drives the CVT knows that its really to give it pedal and get it to accellerate in the RPM zone you want it in. generally it forces it self to be more fuel efficient and stay below 2100RPM or so (2.0L engine as an example) And if you stop more it doesnt change much, you stomp a little more, it changes a little more, then by the time you adjust again, it over shoots and goes nuts up at 4000RPM.

with the SB its very easy to get the level of power, finding that 2500 - 3000RPM sweet spot. it just translates into better acceleration. Honestly, I drive the lancer alot. and without sprint booster, its really hard to master that acceleration.

I personally cant testify to the Manual SB experience because its something completely different. But for the AUTO..... Dude its a different car.

In regards to the cost argument, everyone wants something for cheaper... its the society we live in. But Rookie, I and everyone else, parted with the 300 dollars cause its one of the best displays of improvement I have seen for our car. I think right up there with an exhaust upgrade.
Old Oct 7, 2009 | 10:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by stitchflip

I noticed next to your name, the running joke the Lancer ES = Extremely Slow hehe which is kinda funny. But with the sprintbooster CVT version in. Your impression of the car would change. its just one of those things you have to try.

Its not a matter of how hard you step on the gas.. its when you moving and you want an instant response to over take or come online with power right away. Its very easy to do. I dont use my Manual Mode anymore on my CVT tranny, its just not needed. If you have an ES, and its just a D mode then trust me this is for you.

Again all that will sound funny or sketchy but honestly, I say try it. Then when you do you will finally get it.
Old Oct 7, 2009 | 12:17 PM

Rookie... whats your transmission?
Old Oct 7, 2009 | 12:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lexikon
Rookie... whats your transmission?
I helped him install it, he has a CVT GTS 2.4
Old Oct 7, 2009 | 12:27 PM

Hmm... I have a manual 2.0... I've been meaning to try it but never got around to it.
Has anyone with a manual transmission tried it so far?
And does it fry the ECU?
Old Oct 7, 2009 | 12:56 PM
Former Sponsor

A few guys tried it last time. with the manual. I know Jeff (sexy modded Red EVO) has it. and it was nice for him. There were a few guys with lancers that had it on their manuals, they liked it because of the immediate pep to tapping the gas. It i guess encourages more aggressiving shifting because you can catch the gears in the manner. I have had one guy say that he had to modify his shifting style because of it.

Frying the ECU... from the papers on how our throttle system works and the voltage the system uses, i would say no. there simply just isnt alot of voltage going thru the system in the first place to have "Fry it self" Some can check the technical manuals for this but the throttle controller uses less then one volt to determine throttle position. And every car manufacturer uses a different system, different connector, and voltage. So this is why you can slap one SB into another car. unfortunately. But in my opinion I dont think it will fry your ECU, and 2nd, I have not seen reports of it either. Cause the Throttle controller is a subsystem of the ECU and people have not reported problems. The only issue I have seen is if the pedal connector isnt plugged in properly, it will trigger a voltage low engine code and the car will idle strange.

thats it

Quick Reply: Rookies' Sprint Booster experience