Notices

New Intake for Lancers!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2010, 07:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rontam90
i thought TLC already established that SRI does not provide more power
true, early on, I spent some coin testing intakes on the dyno rental. Even taking into consideration the Canadian ECU Issue, the gains were nil if the hood was closed, winter time performance may be there but without cool air, the heat soak kills it.

K&N has put together a nice heat shielded package, and their gains look respectable. K&N and AEM are likely to provide an intake to verify during the Dyno Day Round 2 this winter.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rontam90
i thought TLC already established that SRI does not provide more power
Yup, SRI's give you more throttle response in the low end. But as proven at the track by Famous, after running for a while you start loosing that power you gain when the engine is hot. So really what's the point? Unless you want to spend $240 for sound, then I think you should take your car to those guys from pimpmyride for that engine-speaker thing that makes different engine noises... We've already been there and done that, so the newbies can learn from us and save their money.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:44 AM

Hey if you guys are looking for SRI theres another company that has a very intriging design.The intake is made by a company called Weapon R Racing.

Here is a link to the page Secret Weapon R Intakes and a little write up. Also check out there video section cause the the intakes have a nice mean growl to them.

The Secret Weapon Intake was designed, to increase air intake volume to the engine. The concept is to create two different air velocity profiles, one traveling at higher speeds than the other. This technology increases air volume and speed to the engine, which naturally feeds the engine 3x more air than the conventional air intake system. The intake pipe is bent out of high quality 6061 Aluminum on our Automated CNC mandrel bender. Polished to a high show quality finish. The SW1 Air filter features a tuned velocity stack to increase velocity and decrease turbulence.

http://weapon-r.com/english/index.ph...oducts_id=6283

Last edited by Nosmatix; Jan 8, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

^And you have a CAI, so STFU! jks!
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:57 PM

^ hahaha..
yeah I was gonna say!
yo, nosmatix..did you end up selling your RRM one?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 01:48 PM

What I don't understand about the heating effect under the hood:

When the car is moving, the air enters the engine bay, correct?

So, what is the difference between having an SRI with a heat shield, and the stock air box?
I understand a CAI is different b/c the end where the air comes from is outside the engine bay.
But, wouldn't an SRI with a good filter (ie: K&N) be better than the stock airbox setup?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Not when the SRi is at the back of the engine with only hot air comming from the headers, at least with the stock airbox it's still getting air from the outside. let's put it this way:

At the track

1st Race Sri>Stock
2nd Race Sri>Stock
3rd Race Sri tied with Stock
4th Race Stock>Sri
5th race it only gets worse for the Sri...
Old Jan 8, 2010, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Im in no way hating on Sri's, but with other cars ie: Civics they are facing the front, with our cars and them facing the back it will only do it's job if the engine is not hot. I went through having the Sri to having a Cai, and there is no competition. Want proof get a Sri and bring your car to the track, and watch your times get slower as the night goes on while the stocks remain the same and the CAI PWNS ALL! Honestly I like helping out others with my personal experiences, but if your dead-set on getting a Sri you might as well get it and enjoy the (sound)
Old Jan 8, 2010, 02:39 PM

Oh, I was gonna get a CAI b/c the prices have dropped recently for them.
But I was getting second thoughts when I saw a new SRI with a K&N filter... XD

Back to CAI...
Old Jan 8, 2010, 02:45 PM

i wouldn't take the risk with a CAI. 8-10hp doesn't justify even a 1% chance of hydrolock. just a personal opinion.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ckbilly
i wouldn't take the risk with a CAI. 8-10hp doesn't justify even a 1% chance of hydrolock. just a personal opinion.
Just wondering how many 08+ Lancers you know of that have been hydrolocked?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:22 PM

None, and i don't need to worry about being the first.

Again, i stated i personally don't feel that even a slight risk is worth it. I'm not trying to hate on those who have cold air intakes, i wish i had the courage to drive with one on my car. It does equal more power, but what? a couple horsepower compared to an sri? i just don't find it justifiable. I also wouldn't recommend the sri for those who are looking for any gains. If you are looking for a louder, more aggressive sounding engine, get an sri. I don't own either one but if I were to in the future, it would be the sri, and I'm not afraid to admit that it would be for the noise. I can accept that it adds minimal hp if any.

Last edited by ckbilly; Jan 8, 2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 07:36 AM

Well, it's not even really a 1% chance.
As long as you aren't submerging the entire area in water, it can't happen.
Of course, if you live/drive in an area where that is likely then I see where you are coming from.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hydrolocking is extremely difficult to do. lol generally if you asked all the people out there who had hydrolock, you will find that they were either doing something they shouldnt be doing, they underestimated a River flood, or they totally left their airfilter exposed to the elements.

its far less than 1 %. Plus I have seen the testing that goes into intakes, they have a redundant bucket test / industry standard stuff to measure ingestion of water with normal manifold pressures. It just doesn't happen. Unless, you go out of your way to be special. lol
Old Feb 5, 2010, 08:30 PM

I just have to throw this out there, and I se everyones post, but check out AutoCityImports. Injen released a new SRI for the 4B12 (2.4L) and the numbers are actually higher than the CAI numbers I believe. People might hate on me for posting SRI, but I had to do it. LOL

Quick Reply: New Intake for Lancers!