Notices

oil change after car being stored

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil change after car being stored

My car comes out of hibernation tomorrow. For those of you that stored your cars over the winter, did you change your oil immediately after taking it out, or did you drive around with it for a while before changing? I had a fresh oil change right before parking it away.

I have heard both sides of the story...

one side tells me to change the oil RIGHT AWAY, to get rid of the oil that might have gotten funky from sitting for 4 months.

then i hear people telling me to drive the car for a bit to let the oil circulate the engine so its lubricated, before going for a change.

I'd like to see what the pros of TLC have to comment on this
Old Mar 14, 2010, 07:06 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rontam this is ur s2k right?... if you just put new oil in before the winter (full synthetic) I'd drive it around for a bit. you should be ok even to put some kms on it.. I'm not sure if your engine is stock or built or what but if its stock I wouldn't worry about it, your stock oem clearances will be fine with the oil... but if you have money to throw away go ahead and change it. if your running a built block i'd do the oil.. your clearances are most likely much smaller and I wouldn't trust the oil + why take a risk on an almost 10 grand engine anyway..
Old Mar 14, 2010, 07:19 PM
Former Sponsor

depends on the oil, if its blend or conventional oil I would definitely swap it out. Synthetics have been engineered to be perfect oil molecules, remaining a consistant shape and flow. Even with time they maintain their properties.

I spent 2 days talking to Engineers from Imperial oil / Mobil 1 (Alberta) when the came for the Mosport La mons race talking about Synthetic in general and also specific to their brand. The only other concern you may have would be with the filter. If you use a synthetic high end filter like Mobil 1 EP filters you wouldnt have anything to worry about in that case as well.

Last note, if it was left somewhere on the super cold side, and your running a thick oil, i would let it run for a while. example, Some guys run 10w30 for the summer and leave their car parked. Let it run for a while before driving off. But you should be fine.

Ideally if your going to leave it over the long winter, use a synthetic.

Last edited by evo_soul; Mar 14, 2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 07:22 PM
Former Sponsor

didnt see your post Turbotime, but ya, what he said
Old Mar 14, 2010, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn i knew i would get some useful info from TLC lol.

yeah my engine is fully stock, and has been using mobil1 syn. 10W30 all its life. you two definitely gave me peace of mind some good tips btw. thanks yall