Notices

Issue with exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issue with exhaust?

Need Help!
Well I bought a used HKS Hi Power Exhaust last summer used. It was working perfectly fine last year. I reinstalled it 2 weeks ago after the winter and some how i warped out a screw, so I put in another screw for temporary use. Everything was working fine, sounded great. But yesterday, I started to notice that my exhaust was very quiet, almost like it was stock. So i thought i had to replace the screw to oem. I did that, but there was no difference. I've been asking around to find out what is wrong. People been telling me that its all in my mind, or that the carbon just finally built up and telling me that, if something was wrong it should go even louder. I really don't think its just in my mind, I really feel a big difference. Is there any way i can test to find out what is wrong with my exhaust? I feel like alot less back pressure. At high revs, I hear my intake more than my exhaust. Can you guys please help me out here? I'm really clueless and concerned. Thanks
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:22 AM

might not be your exhaust could also be your cat. i know that if your cat goes out you can feel a great loss of power and the engine itself sounds like its really struggling.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

Wouldn't you say it'd be highly unlikely that a cat would go out on a relatively new car?
Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

a broken or leaking exhaust should sound louder~
Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:42 AM

is your exhaust piping stock or aftermarket? also when you put the exhaust back did you ensure that you placed the gasket back in?
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:51 PM

Yea my piping is stock. Its just an axleback. My exhaust never came with a gasket and was running it for abt 3 months before winter without one. I don't think its the catback, kuz before I replaced the screw, I reved my car with no exhaust connected to it and it was really loud and sounded powerful, lol. I really don't know what the problem might be, it appears that the hks axle back is designed differently from other exhaust. The resonator is on the left side on its own. If you see a pic of it, you would know what I'm talking about. I don't know if something is messed up inside the exhaust.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:26 PM

try tapping on the muffler does it sound hollow or very dull? + it may be carbon build up
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:51 PM

so is it going to sound like that? or is there a way to fix it? I guess i can you guys at the meet on wednesday and you can tell me if it sounds proper or not.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by nsk_tigz38
so is it going to sound like that? or is there a way to fix it? I guess i can you guys at the meet on wednesday and you can tell me if it sounds proper or not.
Well it all depends on what the problem if your muffler sounds hollow it mens the packing inside is gone and you need to repack it. if it dull sounding it means it fine and problem elsewhere. if you want remove the resonator to give a higher pitch sound. I know a place which can do exhaust and stuff but pm me first if intrested and I can see what we can do
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am going up as soon as mid this week to get my fenders done, either in town or at S&S, if you havent figured it out by mid wednesday, you should join me.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:59 AM

Soul how much to get the fenders done?? Want to get this done as well before I get rims.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 02:55 PM

Nevermind! I don't know what might the problem was but everything seems to sound normal again. A lot of ppl were telling me it was just my mentality but honestly there was a difference. After driving home from the meet on wednesday, I was running later so I gunned it through everyone at high rev, so my exhaust was reallly loud. After arriving at home, my exhaust sounded back to normal. I heard the deep low tone even on low revs.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

im still saying it was in your head

Last edited by laksman91; Apr 16, 2010 at 03:42 PM.