Notices

HID flicker even when it's ON

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2010, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID flicker even when it's ON

I have the DRL bypass and it does its job. But even when I turn the lights ON there is some flicker going on. It's not that noticeable at first but when you look closely, there's still flicker. It's more obvious on the driver side than the passenger side. I'm suspecting it's just bad grounding. I have the ground of the relay connected directly to the battery negative terminal. Is that bad?

Also I get noise on the radio when HIDs are ON. Does this suggest I have a poor quality HID kit?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 07:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by justindxin
I have the DRL bypass and it does its job. But even when I turn the lights ON there is some flicker going on. It's not that noticeable at first but when you look closely, there's still flicker. It's more obvious on the driver side than the passenger side. I'm suspecting it's just bad grounding. I have the ground of the relay connected directly to the battery negative terminal. Is that bad?

Also I get noise on the radio when HIDs are ON. Does this suggest I have a poor quality HID kit?
1) right off the bad your HID kit shouldnt be flickering at all. Especially in the on position. Take it back, or get on the horn and let the person you bought it from know there is something up.

2), if your HID's are causing interference with your radio then it means the equipment is not shielded and also gives the hint that it may not be a digital ballast. Cause a signal is finding its way back to the battery.

3) And this goes out there to everyone in general. Do not run a kit if its got one or both of those problems . Why. If they do not function properly, then the statistical chance of a major eletrical event is high. Meaning a kit like this, if it malfunctions bad, can surge your electrical system. Remember your fuse box is a pretty poor last line of defense. And it cant be expected to limit eletrical surges. You risk your battery, your alternator, and everything electrical in your car, connected to those power sources. Finally, if your kit is doing that stuff and its 55watt, then the risk increase further.

Justindxin, You can ask around the forums and look for kits that have good track records and have better build quality. I know of one in particular tested for our car, but other people can share their experiences as well. Just remember cheaper isnt always better. Spend money on a good kit, and rest assured your getting your money's worth.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

DDM are selling thier kits for $40.00 US. Slim, digital, and lifetime warranty.
I have one of thier older kits (Apexcone) for 2 years now and still going strong on the same bulbs.

HID Kits for any car, truck, or SUV. Finally, a great priced, slim ballast, fully digital, HID kit available in 55w and 35w. Starting at 39.95 including Lifetime Warranty.

Fully digital, draws less than 6 amps at start up and 3.4 amps at normal operating temperature. This system provides 3200-3400 Lumens at 35 watts and an amazing 5000 Lumens at 55 watts per bulb. In comparison, a typical halogen bulb produces 900-1200 lumens.

What is the difference between 55w and 35w kits?
Our 55w HID kits are 40% brighter than the standard 35w kits.
The 55W system ballasts are about 1 cm longer than the 35W ballasts.
55w kits tend to wash out some of the color of the HID bulb due to the light output( for example, a 55w 8000k will look similar in color to a 35w 6000k kit).
Our 55w HID Kit is not recommended for smaller fog light housings because they tend to concentrate a large amount of heat in a small area.

Full HID Kit Includes:
- 2 DDM Digital Slim ballasts
- 2 HID Bulbs
- Life-Time Warranty

Last edited by Greedy_son; Apr 26, 2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 02:50 PM

Those kits are amazingly cheap. gotta get those.

Question: do i also need a relay for the fogs HID?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 02:50 PM

OP, maybe even god is hating on you blinding people.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 03:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by justindxin
Those kits are amazingly cheap. gotta get those.

Question: do i also need a relay for the fogs HID?
Relay is recommended, but not essential. Relay will provide less flicker on start up = translating into longer bulb life over time.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 05:42 PM

yo evosoul, did anyone try the anti-flickers from xenondepot? is it working well?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 06:10 PM

so if i were to buy that kit what would i need just a relay? or is that not nessessary? and is 35w better or 55w? i might order it in a bit
Old Apr 26, 2010, 06:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by stitchflip
yo evosoul, did anyone try the anti-flickers from xenondepot? is it working well?
i have an anti flicker with me all the time, so we can figure out if it will help your situation
Old Apr 26, 2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by evo_soul
i have an anti flicker with me all the time, so we can figure out if it will help your situation
cool..
I might be able to reach next week's meet..
returning the anti-flickers that i bought recently - didnt work for my car..
he even gave me orig ballasts that he claimed has canbus fix..didnt try it tho - too lazy! LOLs
Old Apr 26, 2010, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

yo stitch... its the car, it moves too fast. faster than the speed of light so it appears to flicker! nothing you can do about that.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:41 PM

^lols..ur RA is fast!
my POS lancer isn't! hahahaha..
how goes, man?!
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:52 PM

i bought a DRL bypass relay from a dude in the states for $65 everthing included, it connects directly to the battery terminal and the headlight switches works exactly as a stock would, and it does not flicker at all....i think in this forum he goes by the name jRox...hope this helps you..
Old Apr 27, 2010, 06:11 AM

I built my own bypass. same specs as Jrox's. But the problem is on the kit itself. its just poor quality. i'll ask for a refund.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stitchflip
^lols..ur RA is fast!
my POS lancer isn't! hahahaha..
how goes, man?!
you're too modest..

almost done school for the year.. last exam in a few hours! then its summer! Are you going to be at the meets this year?

Quick Reply: HID flicker even when it's ON