Notices

where to refinish rims for cheap!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ I think the colorific place is brimley and sheppard?
I am thinking about changing my color choice to canary yellow if they have that color
Old Feb 13, 2011, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

So in this group buy, what are we looking at? 200 per guy?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 09:27 AM

Went through a few pages of this thread, but is there a group buy being organized for rim powder-coating?

If so I'm interested, I have stock GTS rims, interested in getting them powder-coated matte black. Whoever is organizing it, let me know and I can contact you with more info and such.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:26 AM

Im in but it depends on the price.
Stock gts rim- gunmetal (kinda like evo mr bbs rim color.)
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:33 AM

I know a place in brampton that does powder coating. Quy's powder coating. Try to get a group quote from him 905- 840- 6040
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:43 AM

Quy's does a great job on rims and is very well reviewed but is extremely expensive. I guess you get what you pay for. Last time I got a quote from him it was $800 for my gsr rims
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

LOL @ QUYS. I lost all respect for them.

A guy on TM3 brings in wheels. Brings in Advan wheels and says he wants this Gold. Quy says ok. and this is what he gets

Quy's response:
- i'm not going to get money back
- redo will not be free
- the selling option quy offered was: i could help him sell his rims and offer a free powdercoat to anyone. I keep the cash, and i give him my speed3 rims. the rims he's planning to sell is probably (at most) $700 as he said. that's HALF of my speed 3 rims. ... No thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mykee
I know a place in brampton that does powder coating. Quy's powder coating. Try to get a group quote from him 905- 840- 6040
i did.. i talked to him on saturday about group powder coating.. in short he said it will cost around $430-$450 depending how many spoke on the rim. he said this is really cheap considering his reputation

i also hit up a few places like Bright Side Customs but it's in whitby

as for the other guys i mentioned on this thread.. im still waiting for a quote from them via email. they did reply me but they told me to look at their website and need more time to get us pricing

Last edited by KahoX; Feb 13, 2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by laksman91
LOL @ QUYS. I lost all respect for them.

A guy on TM3 brings in wheels. Brings in Advan wheels and says he wants this Gold. Quy says ok. and this is what he gets

Quy's response:
i looked at the color choice they have in a template on Saturday and there's a lot of colors to choose from but i don't understand how they can manage to pull that one off. What's the full story behind it? Did he choose a color off the template?

anyways, there are other guys out there that do a great job with less cost.. in the end i think we are going to vote and we'll go from there. Apparently, those guys at Bright Side customs do a very good job as one of their customer were very happy with their work. They even use a hammer to bash one of the rim in the showroom to demonstrate the strength of their powder coatings. The guy told me their hammer bend the rim before the powder coatings chipped off. And they charge in the $300s.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

KahoX - 18x9.5 matte black
seanymack - 18x7 gold with clear coat
initaldrew - 18x9.5 gold
T-Pain - 18x8.5 - canary yellow
stevema188 - 18.8.5 Tiffany Blue
+ 18x8 Gold (assuming they have the right shade, and if not then gunmetal)
erikerwin - 18x7 bronze
jasonjkl - 19x9.5 cosmic blue
Raz - 19x10 w37 wicked white (mitsubishi color code)
Capdevila - 18x8.5 matte black
OntarioGT - 18x8.5 Chrome Black if they dont have it then gunmetal and if they dont have that then matte black
thanu31 - 18 x 8.5/8.0 - Metallic gunmetal
vszutu - refinishing (curb rash)
Go On 3- 18x10.5 Luminous orange

the list so far..
i may visit colorific coatings next friday but i also have an appointment with my wedding photographer but yet to confirm the time ;( i'll let you guys know when i'll be going but it will be on Friday for sure since i'm off on that day...
Old Feb 13, 2011, 03:15 PM

omg lol i can't believe Quy made that!
Why did you friend take it if it wasn't to his color spec?

as for bright side, I had my rims done by them and they do a good job. I think they're closer to pickering and not whitby..unless they changed locations.
before it was home based and he did rims in the garage lol

thanks for doing all the leg work Kahox
Old Feb 13, 2011, 04:54 PM

Hey guys,

This is Mike the owner of Brightside. I'm actually a 4g63 guy with a 93 TSI AWD in the garage as a track toy Had it for over 10yrs now! Its my baby. Glad to hear the guy above is saying good things about us. We've come along way in growing our business and it came through providing good quality work that lasts and looks good. At one point this was done out of my home garage but in the past year we have stepped up all our equipment and moved into industrial space in Whitby.

Some of the pricing i've read through this thread i cannot compete with. These are industrial type coaters (meant for production large batches) and are limited in colour selelction and there prep work is not near what we or (Quy) goto which ultimately effects how long it lasts and the overall finish of the rim. We sandblast the entire rim inside and outside of the barrel and remove ALL existing finish and DO NOT apply any powder over ANY finish thats on there. Like any finishing process, its all in the prep. Shooting the rim is the fun part

I got Charles email (Ryan forwarded it to me) and will reply to him but i can also reply to question here.

I'm willing to offer a discount based on the groupbuy but the price does change depending on size and colour selection. Its hard to really apply discount if everyone picks a different colour! I'll come up with something.

Were usually around the $400 mark for 17"-18" rims which includes sandblasting, primer and a single coat of powder.

Shoot your questions away and i'll be glad to answer them.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by brightside
Hey guys,

This is Mike the owner of Brightside. I'm actually a 4g63 guy with a 93 TSI AWD in the garage as a track toy Had it for over 10yrs now! Its my baby. Glad to hear the guy above is saying good things about us. We've come along way in growing our business and it came through providing good quality work that lasts and looks good. At one point this was done out of my home garage but in the past year we have stepped up all our equipment and moved into industrial space in Whitby.

Some of the pricing i've read through this thread i cannot compete with. These are industrial type coaters (meant for production large batches) and are limited in colour selelction and there prep work is not near what we or (Quy) goto which ultimately effects how long it lasts and the overall finish of the rim. We sandblast the entire rim inside and outside of the barrel and remove ALL existing finish and DO NOT apply any powder over ANY finish thats on there. Like any finishing process, its all in the prep. Shooting the rim is the fun part

I got Charles email (Ryan forwarded it to me) and will reply to him but i can also reply to question here.

I'm willing to offer a discount based on the groupbuy but the price does change depending on size and colour selection. Its hard to really apply discount if everyone picks a different colour! I'll come up with something.

Were usually around the $400 mark for 17"-18" rims which includes sandblasting, primer and a single coat of powder.

Shoot your questions away and i'll be glad to answer them.
Perfect! This will make things a lot easier I actually got your business card off one of your customer at Nextmod. I think you guys helped him out powder coating his bike or something and recommended you guys. Hopefully, you guys can help us out on this project.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

Solid!! Thanks Kahox for all the work!!
Brightside, if we get 15 sets of rims for you, 17"-18" could you do $350 and we could see if people will stick with you and well will toss a deposit to keep our word? or how ever you would like the payment?
Thanks
-Lanny
Old Feb 14, 2011, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Actually I think it is a good idea to based the pricing on each person's colour choices, I think I am gonna just powder my rims white again LOL.

Quick Reply: where to refinish rims for cheap!!