Notices

Why a Turbo Charged Colt Ralliart Wins

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why a Turbo Charged Colt Ralliart Wins

Today at work I had the chance to take a look at the Chevy Cruze during Sprint Booster Testing. Now for those who dont know. The Chevy Cruze has existed globally for about 2 year in its current forum. Asia, Africa and Europe have gotten a chance to try this car out and see what its made of. Its purpose was to meet the needs of the high fuel cost environment. GM thought long and hard about releasing this to North America sooner, but got gun shy, because they were not certain it would sell. They knew they had a winner, but they just weren't sure and the doubt in the back of their minds, had the release pushed back.

Now why I am talking about a Chevy on a Mitsubishi forum? Well, Its because Mitsubishi is sitting in the same gun shy position. Mitsubishi has the Mitsubishi Colt out. For years and years and years. Whats a Mitsubishi Colt (ralliart)? Take a look right here friends for a quick rundown. http://www.worldcarfans.com/10606066...iart-version-r

Now most people when they see it, think to themselves. Hmmm not bad. I think I might buy that if I was looking for a small car. Of Course you would. Its small! Its good on gas! It looks stylish! And most importantly. IT HAS A TURBO!!! 3 years ago I formally asked about this and got no answer, after more digging, I was told it wasnt commercially viable.

Translation.

"The Lancer and EVO will be enough to win the day and we are going to do really really good with just those two cars. We are invincible!" Fast forward 3 years, and its safe to conclude, things didnt work out so well. Mitsubishi is not mid cycle with no clear visible plan on the table for road map.

So, I made a call again, to Japan, and inquired. And was basically told the same thing. But then something funny happened. About a week later I got a call back. And finally someone gave me the answer I wanted to hear, All options are on the table. More recently, Mitsubishi has made an announcement announcing more or less that Mitsubishi is here to stay in North America. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/to...itsubishi.html

After a little bit more dialog, I have heard that things are changing within Mitsubishi Corporate and things are about to get more interesting. Mitsubishi is considering things that I can honestly is making me smile ear to ear. I have also had the chance to air some of my concerns and feelings as both a Mitsubishi owner and someone who is involved with the aftermarket side of things.

Now getting back to the Colt Vs. the Cruze thing. When I sit in the cruise I say the same thing I said before when the Genesis was released. And that was, this is the car that Mitsubishi could have made with the genesis. How could this have happened.

Cruze, is impressive. It has a 1.4L turbo and drives like a dream. Everything inside the car is power this and power that. It seems to have every option you can think of. Stuff that you just wouldnt expect to be in a Chevy. Now in Mitsubishi's case. The car exists in other countries, but I want them to think long and hard about how they modify this card for North America. I dont want the car to fall short. Or be rushed.

Anyways thats all I can say and you get my two cents
Old Oct 27, 2010, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guess It'll be a good honda fit competitor....but I have a gut feeling the fit might still be ahead of the game because it's a honda and it's got honda warranties.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:47 AM
Former Sponsor

please bring the colt. PLEASE MITSUBISHI!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzJ0R...feature=autofb
Old Jan 27, 2011, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

I have a feeling the Colt would do better here than the i-MiEV! Those small cars are all the rage now anyways. It would help if they started selling the car as the trend was starting vs. after the competitors have already been established.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 08:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Crester
I have a feeling the Colt would do better here than the i-MiEV! Those small cars are all the rage now anyways. It would help if they started selling the car as the trend was starting vs. after the competitors have already been established.
Imagine if they can tune that thing right. I am sure on the highway it would get like 4.9 Litre per 100
Old Jan 28, 2011, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

The colt does come in 4door version right?? To be honest, i have to really sit in it to compare it to the Honda Fit. Although the Fit is small but when you sit in the drv or pass seats, it feels big and it does not lack of leg room considering how small the car is. The Honda Fit is the best small entry car imho not only they moved the engine back closer to the firewall for better weight distribution, there are not many known big recalls, defective parts or problems. It's gonna be tough to beat the Fit but if the interior spacing and fuel comsumption is at a competitive level then it will be a promising in the market. I will look be looking foward to this

Oh there is a down side to the new 09+ improved Fit is there's no big brakes upgrade kit for it yet and there's no engine mount kit for the k20

Last edited by KahoX; Jan 28, 2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Most small cars these days are packaged in a way that give you a lot of interior rooms. The Honda Fit is a very nice car... and unlike the Toyota Yaris... it doesn't look like made from plastic used to make Fisher Price toys. I never drove a Fit myself... but I was in the car when my friend was test driving one. The only complaint she had was that she thought the suspension was too stiff. It was stiff... but that would be good for sporty driving.

I don't think the Colt needs to blow-away the competition. None of Mitsu's other cars (with the exception of the EVO) are the best in its class... Mitsu just needs to provide a good alternative for people who don't all wanna drive the same car. Just like how even tho the Mazda3 may be the best car in its class now... not everybody wants to drive one... so when people look for another good sporty compact to buy... they buy a Lancer.

I bet you if Mitsu brought the Colt here... it would sell. That's the market people are going after now... and it's why cars like the Ford Fiesta and Mazda2 are coming out. It'll be a lot easier for Mitsu to get into the market NOW... than wait for those other cars to be established and THEN come out.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Unfortunately when you are selling less than 1% of all North American Cars. that is a very very tiny marketshare which is closer to 0% than anything else. It troubles me that People within Mitsubishi and out dont see the problem. Mitsubishi must develop a car which puts its brand out in front. Or as was the case of other car companies, it will be phased out of existence.

From everything I heard talking to officials in Japan there seems to be alot of arguments over what way to take the brand. If we had the same discussion here on the forum we would probably split down the middle. I think Mitsubishi should not try so hard to be a new conventional eco minded car company. Copying from other Manufacturers, the prius has been done, the leaf has beat the I-MIEV to the market and will likely sell 5 times the amount. In stead, Mitsubishi has the technology in its grasp to make the most fuel efficient gas powered cars in the world. but they dont. They have the ability very powerful cars that are good on gas.

They are trying to be known for something they are not. When you say Mitsubishi, to me, its the heritage of rally that I remember, its building the cars that are durable and take the abuse. Talk to anyone from another country they think of the Jeeps. Talk to a domestic guy, its all about the DSM.

I say this from the heart. I do not know what Mitsubishi is doing or where they are going. And that is talking with mid leave and middle management in Japan. And I am a bit worried. Although they have hammered out 80% of their 2014-2015 transition plans. I am not confident they go for enough, and they still try to strike a balance between two competing ideals. Performance / Historic Mitsubishi vs. Green
Old Feb 1, 2011, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

^^^^ I think mitsu will seriously fail again with the whole green thing. It's ok to have a green divison, but the company as a whole going green is a bit risky especially when mitsu is not known to produce green vehicles. It took toyota & honda 10 yrs for us to come to except the insight and prius...Mitsu starting now with it's company's situation will fail miserably. I think they should stick to what they do best, like subaru. Create a market like how they did with the DSM, performance for a cheap price. With performance, then people wouldn't complain about the interior qty of the car so much. Right now mitsu's interior qty sucks and their car line up suck, and the i-miev looks retarded. GL selling that thing!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 08:12 AM
Former Sponsor

A representative from Mitsu Japan is flying over this month and we have a meeting set. This one guy follows the car club and some of the Evosoul stuff
Old Feb 3, 2011, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
A representative from Mitsu Japan is flying over this month and we have a meeting set. This one guy follows the car club and some of the Evosoul stuff
if i complain to him will he fix my car? lol
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:01 AM
Former Sponsor

No, unfortunately. He is involved with policy globally. Can't interfer in mitsu canada territory
Old Feb 11, 2011, 09:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Sigh... just got off the phone. I swear. If this is true I am done with Mitsu.

MITSUBISHI!!!!!!!

Dont bring the colt here if you dont offer the Colt Ralliart as well!!!!!

sigh...

To give everyone an idea of what I am talking about, see this old link below.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...o-america.html
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
Sigh... just got off the phone. I swear. If this is true I am done with Mitsu.

MITSUBISHI!!!!!!!

Dont bring the colt here if you dont offer the Colt Ralliart as well!!!!!

sigh...

To give everyone an idea of what I am talking about, see this old link below.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...o-america.html
I think 170hp in a fit size car is a little too much for the general public. People looking at those cars are usually the people that buys fits and yaris. I think if mitsu brings the normal colt over with optional ralliart add-on goodies it'll be good enough as a contenter.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

evo_soul... I would agree with you... but I can't say I disagree with Mitsu testing the waters with the base Colt first. A lot of people say they want high performance versions of cars... but when it comes to action... you find out a lot of them are just internet keyboard jockeys... and don't have the money to back up their claims. I think Mitsubishi needs to bring the Colt here since that segment is becoming the next big thing now. But I wouldn't bring the Ralliart here unless the regular Colt sells.

But then again... having the Colt Ralliart here could raise the image of the Colt and make more people buy the colt. Just like how the EVO draws people to the showrooms yet many of those people leave with normal Lancers.

I don't know... but I can't hate them for not bringing in the Colt Ralliart right away.

Quick Reply: Why a Turbo Charged Colt Ralliart Wins