Notices

Canadian Tire Digital Impact Wrench - This Thing Any Good?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2010, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dericchan1
Hey, I bought the exact one at Canadian tire and returned the next day. Its garbage, scratched up the paint of my wheels and one of the lugs didn't come out and I still ended up using my torque wrench.
not sure what you were doing with, but i've had the regular one for about two years, and i love it. It plugs in (electric), has helped me remove rusted to ****s bolts that i couldnt get off without the hammer effect. Makes life easier, very strong build (if you kinda drop it etc,) and bought a socket set with it which is very solid which also came with its own flex socket set.

Used it on several occasions, from changing tires, to changing suspension, control arms, etc...

+1 for the item from me

Whether or not you want the one that's digital and a little more fancy with controls is all up to whether you'll actually use it to torque things down to the #'s. If the answer is yes then go for it, real great buy, specially if you like working on your car.

Dj
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm... I just used this impact wrench to swap my tires... and the best I can say is that it's "okay". It couldn't even take off the original lugnuts that were on the car. I had to take them off by hand. Then once they were loose I used the impact gun to take off the nuts quickly. I was a bit disappointed in that because they claim the impact wrench is not supposed to limit torque when removing the lugnuts... but it obviously was. And I didn't have to turn that hard to loosen them by hand.

This tool was helpful in that I didn't have to spend forever to hand loosen and tighten each of the lugnuts... but otherwise the torque settings didn't seem all that special. It's like using a glorified drill.

And for what it's worth... I tightened the wheel with the impact wrench at the 80 lb-ft setting... but when I used a torque wrench after... I had to turn it even more for it to go off at the 80 lb-ft setting on the manual torque wrench.

This tool is good at speeding up the process of loosening and tightening the lugnuts... but it's far from a precision tool.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use the crap tire rechargeable one and it works great.

NEWB