Notices

Injen intake causing sporadic revs?? Help!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injen intake causing sporadic revs?? Help!

Hey everyone, so last night around 1am my engine decided to not let me get home! I was sitting at light ready to make a left hand turn when halfway through the turn I felt a shudder and my revs dropped (even though I was on the gas). I got through the intersection (lucky it was 1am!) but my revs were goign nuts! It was like the engine was trying to not stall and kept on reving then falling right back down. (I took a video of it and as soon as I can I'll post a link to the video) **side note: my car wouldn't start two days earlier and I had to jump it to get it going**

So after fumbaling to find the Mitsu Roadside Assistance number (not on their website!) I was able to get a tow over to Erin Mills dealership and left it there overnight for the service dept.

I call in the morning and tell Jeff the whole story and he said that he'd take a look at it and get back to me when they had a chance to look at it. Now I just heard back from him and he gave me the "good" news. Because I have the 2.0L Injen CAI the MAF sensor is shot and needs replacing, and since it's not stock I have to fork over the bill. My question, and I hope someone can help, is does that make sense?!?!?!? Has anyone else has problems with their intake? I've only had it for a couple of months and my car is only 1.5 years old!

The other thing is that Jeff said that if I keep the intake on this problem might come back! And I'll have to get another MAF replacement!

Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fitzy
Hey everyone, so last night around 1am my engine decided to not let me get home! I was sitting at light ready to make a left hand turn when halfway through the turn I felt a shudder and my revs dropped (even though I was on the gas). I got through the intersection (lucky it was 1am!) but my revs were goign nuts! It was like the engine was trying to not stall and kept on reving then falling right back down. (I took a video of it and as soon as I can I'll post a link to the video) **side note: my car wouldn't start two days earlier and I had to jump it to get it going**

So after fumbaling to find the Mitsu Roadside Assistance number (not on their website!) I was able to get a tow over to Erin Mills dealership and left it there overnight for the service dept.

I call in the morning and tell Jeff the whole story and he said that he'd take a look at it and get back to me when they had a chance to look at it. Now I just heard back from him and he gave me the "good" news. Because I have the 2.0L Injen CAI the MAF sensor is shot and needs replacing, and since it's not stock I have to fork over the bill. My question, and I hope someone can help, is does that make sense?!?!?!? Has anyone else has problems with their intake? I've only had it for a couple of months and my car is only 1.5 years old!

The other thing is that Jeff said that if I keep the intake on this problem might come back! And I'll have to get another MAF replacement!

Classic example of what proper Warranty Assessment is suppose to be. You came in, they looked at the problem and since it is directly related to an aftermarket part. The most likely cause is the intake (in the eyes of Mitsubishi). Its just your MAF sensor, not your entire engine. After you replace the MAF sensor. Have the dealership do an entire inspection of your engine and its function. have them document in detail how the car is operating after the install of the new MAF sensor. Also have the spark plugs inspected. Fouling on the spark plugs may give you further insight as to what the problem could be.

Do I think its the intake itself... I dont think so. The only thing I can possibly think it could be was over kill on the Air Intake Filter cleaning kit and using to much oil. If the oil gets onto the MAF sensor, it will screw up the readings. But... this generally doesnt happen with Naturally aspirated cars. (not often) Turbo guys... Yes it can happen. This is why there has been a big shift to Dry Filter technology over the past few years.

Your Best Action
Where do you go from here. bite the bullet and pay for the replacement parts. But..... what you should do is ask them to check the cars ECU for store codes. This will give you more clues as to what went wrong when your car is dying like that. Dont let them Wipe your ECU. Ask for Specific codes that you go.

Pay a little extra to have them convert you back to stock as well. And to have an inspection for a clean bill of health. This way you can defend yourself should something else go wrong with your powertrain.

Finally. If your MAF has been messed up for a while, your spark plugs will show evidence of fouling or (rich or lean indicators). Pull and Inspect them. Keep all old parts that come off your car and dont let the dealer throw them out. Bag them and keep them.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

MAF sensor could be 1 of the problems, but like Shaun said, you should ask the dealer what DTC the car has and post it up so we have more info to discuss with
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:27 PM

This happened to my car twice, it was weird. happened at an intersection too.

But it never stalled or anything
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Thats why people on this board recommend a tune even when the intake manufacturer tells you it's fine.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 05:48 PM

THe problem you described sound like the problem i had with mine -- same thing shuddering -- erratic RPM -- exactly the same situation -- our MAF sensor don't go bad coz of your CAI -- i have one installed for 2 years now since i got my car in July 2008 - This thing same situation happend to me about 10min away from home -- its called LIMP MODE -- so i got my car home -- let it cooldown -- my first thought???? SPARK PLUG -- so when the engine cooled down -- i removed all the spark plugs - its my PULSE PLUGS -- the electrodes are worn out - this are the first generation pulse plugs -lifespan of 80,000 km -- so i kinda neglected to change them so this shuddering problem started after hitting 87000km -- i started to notice it but ignored it till it got really worse till i went on limp mode at 88000km -- i put my old ngk iridium plug back in and car went back to normal --- I HAD AN 87 TOYOTA CELICA DIDNT CHANGE MAP SENSOR TILL 300,000 KM. -- sorry your dealer got yah!