Notices

Steering radius question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering radius question

Greetings,

Recently had my car in the shop (dealership repair) after an accident. Anyways, the repair included replacing the steering rack and pinion.

Question to anyone with a Lancer, for your steering, how many revolutions does the steering wheel turn left and right when turning to the extreme (as far as it will let you)?

As well, are your turning radii equal for left versus right? i.e. does the car turn as "hard" in one direction when the steering wheel is at its most extreme positioning?

Reason I'm asking this is because since my repair (possibly before but I can't say), my steering wheel does about 1 and 3/4 turns to the left, but just under 1 1/2 turns to the right at each extreme.

I also have a tighter turning radius to the left. I did bring this up at my dealership (Mid Toronto Mitsubishi) since the repair, but after demonstrating it today to them, they stated that this is due to different axel length to each wheel, and they checked two new cars and it was the same way.

I just wanted to confirm with those in the club if they get the chance if they can confirm there cars are also like this?

Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2011, 08:00 AM

Anyone able to check or confirm this in their cars?
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i will turn my wheel and video the revolutions. but I dont think what you discribed sounds right. turn radius and proportion should be balanced. but hey, i could be wrong.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Left and right turns should be the same, if it s off by 1/4 turn ( which is a lot ) then probably the rack was installed incorrectly
Old Jan 15, 2011, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

if you can turn one side more than you should then you'll prby snap the cable reel before anything, right? if the steeling wheel is in the dead center then both side rotation should be the same and thats not case but hey i could be wrong
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys, it doesn't seem right to me either, but I just couldn't remember from before, I would appreciate you doing a quick video for me Shaun, thanks

I'll probably contact some other Mitsu dealerships to confirm before I contact the dealership I got the repair at. If I get a confirmation of this from other sources, this really does look bad on behalf of Mid-Toronto Mitsubishi's service department. The mechanic flat out said to my face it's supposed to be like that.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kabome
Thanks for the feedback guys, it doesn't seem right to me either, but I just couldn't remember from before, I would appreciate you doing a quick video for me Shaun, thanks

I'll probably contact some other Mitsu dealerships to confirm before I contact the dealership I got the repair at. If I get a confirmation of this from other sources, this really does look bad on behalf of Mid-Toronto Mitsubishi's service department. The mechanic flat out said to my face it's supposed to be like that.
Sorry I didnt have time was in a bit of a hurry and forgot. Was chilling with Slyy last night installing my new spark plugs. I will try to get that done and on video for you tonight
Old Jan 18, 2011, 07:40 PM
Former Sponsor

I turned my wheel and they both stopped with the bottom of the wheel pointing up. I made a video and will email it to you soon. But something is wrong with your wheel. the turning radius seems to be even on my car.

Take you car to Maple for an inspection. Talk to Daren the service manager and he will likely inspect it for free.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

they probably didnt measure the rack to get the center point before they install the steering linkage~
Old Jan 19, 2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by evo_soul
I turned my wheel and they both stopped with the bottom of the wheel pointing up. I made a video and will email it to you soon. But something is wrong with your wheel. the turning radius seems to be even on my car.

Take you car to Maple for an inspection. Talk to Daren the service manager and he will likely inspect it for free.
Thanks for checking that for me Shaun, it's much appreciated

I will contact Maple Mitsubishi today and talk to Daren and just find out his opinion on that and go from there.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 06:26 AM

So furthering my story, I did speak with a service advisor who verified with a mechanic at Maple Mitsubishi that the steering should be pretty much the same revolutions both ways (I also quoted other "lancer owners", namely Shaun that they should be roughly even as well).

I have another appointment now at Mid-Toronto Mitsubishi on Tuesday morning after speaking with the service manager, Ron. They want to let me go into a new car and see how it is in comparison.

I'm definitely sure that the way my car was repaired is not how it's supposed to be, so I guess we'll see how they handle it on Tuesday.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 08:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kabome
So furthering my story, I did speak with a service advisor who verified with a mechanic at Maple Mitsubishi that the steering should be pretty much the same revolutions both ways (I also quoted other "lancer owners", namely Shaun that they should be roughly even as well).

I have another appointment now at Mid-Toronto Mitsubishi on Tuesday morning after speaking with the service manager, Ron. They want to let me go into a new car and see how it is in comparison.

I'm definitely sure that the way my car was repaired is not how it's supposed to be, so I guess we'll see how they handle it on Tuesday.
Recently Mid Toronto changed service managers, so I dont know that service manager very well. But go into it with good faith and everything should turn out in the end well
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:37 AM

Yeah I will, however I don't think I'll plan on going back there for any service anymore. I'm going to check out Maple for the future based on your reference (it's pretty easy for me to get there from the west end anyhow, just straight up Black Creek/Highway 400).
Old Jan 25, 2011, 06:31 AM

Update on this, this morning I went into Mid-Toronto dealership, spoke directly with Ron the service manager, really nice guy.

Anyway, they wanted to be able to compare and show me another car for peace of mind, however the only standard car they had was a 2011 and apparently the 2011's are electronic steering which is different from previous years.

As well, MT and CVT have different steering racks (slightly longer on the CVT apparently) so the service manager, Ron actually is bringing a 5 speed over from Scarborough Mitsubishi (their partner dealership) to show me later this week.

I thought this was really quite above and beyond and I did appreciate them doing this, so I will give further update later this week when I go back in to the dealership.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 06:32 AM

Thus if anyone with a 2009-2010 manual lancer sees this, if you can check your steering wheel turning degrees in either direction from centre (rough estimate is fine, and if you can say whether its pretty much even both ways) it'd be appreciated.