Notices

Fake vs Real Rims

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2011, 03:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fake vs Real Rims

Something to keep in mind when shopping... (its a repost from elsewhere on the forum but this is for the locals!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJeFB6SRslk
Old Mar 10, 2011, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Can someone explain to me what kind of real-world situation that simulates? if its a curb hit, there are usually bigger things to worry about than the wheel!

Even still, nothing makes me more angry than when a business cheaps out on materials, and builds a knowingly defective or inadequate product, and sells it as if it were as good as the original. When it comes to car parts, there are literally people's lives on the line.

I have seen this same issue and similar type tests with suspension components (not properly welded, valves that give up, etc), brakes (poor metal in the rotor, or pads without proper heat resistance). Its just f'd up that any businessperson can have a clean conscience when they could be contributing to people's deaths.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 09:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by suprPHREAK
Can someone explain to me what kind of real-world situation that simulates? if its a curb hit, there are usually bigger things to worry about than the wheel!

Even still, nothing makes me more angry than when a business cheaps out on materials, and builds a knowingly defective or inadequate product, and sells it as if it were as good as the original. When it comes to car parts, there are literally people's lives on the line.

I have seen this same issue and similar type tests with suspension components (not properly welded, valves that give up, etc), brakes (poor metal in the rotor, or pads without proper heat resistance). Its just f'd up that any businessperson can have a clean conscience when they could be contributing to people's deaths.
It raises a good point. but... to be dead honest with you. North Americans are Cheap, because we have been flooded with cheap knock offs and lower grade quality items that are marketed as being just as good. Our entire marketing base has been sent overseas. Its really not a problem with just knock offs.

We have gotten use to the "cheaper faster better" mentality. Classic example. Has anyone wondered why old cars such as Honda civics or Toyota corollas are more reliable than the ones that have been made in the past 7 years. Yes the cars are more complicated too, but if you look at just the basics. The manufacturing standards are the same. But the materials used to cut corners in costs are what are at fault. Now if you dont buy into the car argument fine. But have you ever wondered why that old tv from the 1990's are still working. or computers. I remember an Abit Motherboard that still works to this very day. Running over clocked like crazy. Sure made in Taiwan, but the quality was right up there. Now a days. There is so much oursource of labour and resources. It only takes using one piece of sup grade material to be the weakest link.

This may sound like a long rant about nothing. But I think the sad part is, even if someone watches that video, they will still go out and buy the cheap one and .... Take their chances. They rather risk their life instead of buying quality parts.

Its not really a question of where the product is made, its if they quality standards are there. there are alot of companies setup in China that makes decent stuff. But in China there are no shortage of factories that cut corners and pump out garbage. But it could be china, could be any asian country, or south america. or even right here in Canada and the USA. Some companies have no problem copying something and pumping out garage to make a quick buck.

Its sad, because those who originally make stuff, have their name sake on the line and when people copy it. lol and do it poorly its a double fail.

sigh...
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Its true, if there was no demand for the crap, it wouldn't be made. I still think, however, that when a manufacturer (or the reseller), makes statement that something is "as good as", then it should be true, no exceptions. Its better to lose some business by being honest, than to gain a bad reputation by lying. And truth be told...if a wheel reseller said "its not as good as, but its a bit cheaper", people will still buy it, and at that point, the end user has been warned.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by evo_soul
It raises a good point. but... to be dead honest with you. North Americans are Cheap, because we have been flooded with cheap knock offs and lower grade quality items that are marketed as being just as good. Our entire marketing base has been sent overseas. Its really not a problem with just knock offs.

We have gotten use to the "cheaper faster better" mentality. Classic example. Has anyone wondered why old cars such as Honda civics or Toyota corollas are more reliable than the ones that have been made in the past 7 years. Yes the cars are more complicated too, but if you look at just the basics. The manufacturing standards are the same. But the materials used to cut corners in costs are what are at fault. Now if you dont buy into the car argument fine. But have you ever wondered why that old tv from the 1990's are still working. or computers. I remember an Abit Motherboard that still works to this very day. Running over clocked like crazy. Sure made in Taiwan, but the quality was right up there. Now a days. There is so much oursource of labour and resources. It only takes using one piece of sup grade material to be the weakest link.

This may sound like a long rant about nothing. But I think the sad part is, even if someone watches that video, they will still go out and buy the cheap one and .... Take their chances. They rather risk their life instead of buying quality parts.

Its not really a question of where the product is made, its if they quality standards are there. there are alot of companies setup in China that makes decent stuff. But in China there are no shortage of factories that cut corners and pump out garbage. But it could be china, could be any asian country, or south america. or even right here in Canada and the USA. Some companies have no problem copying something and pumping out garage to make a quick buck.

Its sad, because those who originally make stuff, have their name sake on the line and when people copy it. lol and do it poorly its a double fail.

sigh...
Very well written and I agree 100% to sum it up for almost 99% of people out there.

McDonalds burger vs BBQ burger which one tastes better and is better for you ?

Which one sells more?

Support the vendors that support their products..
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Sad part is. Stuff like this can kill you. I remember when someone out there had these Cross Drilled Rotors and was saying how good they were. "Ya man, got them from EBAY" .... blah blah blah ..... saved so much money vs what you were going to charge me..... blah blah blah..... so can you give me a good deal on pads ..... blah blah blah ..... what ? thats so expensive... but I will take it. (Bought YELLOW STUFF)

Fast forward 1 months. 3 of the 4 rotors has huge visable cracks due to the high friction / heat properties of the pad.

Then he comes back saying to me that the EBAY guy wont warranty the rotors because you used the wrong pad.

So he comes in tells me the story in a low tone and then tries to angle his story that its my fault for selling him that pad. This is awesome!!!! (showing us the rotors cracked in a box)

Then I said to him, lets go over this again. You came in saying how much of an awesome deal you got blah blah blah. then you tell me your going to track you car hard. and you want a good pad. Why would i sell you something other than HP Plus from hawk or EBC Yellow. THey are track pads. Then my boss comes into the conversation laughing his @$$ off and said. "OK I HAVE HEARD ENOUGH." YOUR STUPID, Take your fake #*$( outta here and dont come back.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Agreed with many of the above. Can't put a price on safety and the confidence on a company's time spent on R&D! Thanks for sharing this, great post!
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

The whole cheapness/knock off thing is a general cultural thing than a car thing. People just want the look of parts... and not necessarily the performance of them. These people really don't see how they are hurting the industry by not supporting the guys who develop various products... they just just wanna save a couple dollars themselves. Kinda sucks because it takes away the motivation for the real companies to keep pushing forward with research and development.

When it comes to car parts... a lot of people who just want looks and only drive their car to work/school and back home may not even put the equipment in such a state that it would fail. But if you use the parts the way they are supposedly supposed to be used for... the imitation parts will give up way before the name brand parts. As for the question of the relevance of the tests in the video... I know it's not necessarily a "real world situation"... but it shows how the imitation wheel can be seriously damaged (crack!!!) while the name brand wheel hardly has any damage at all. I had OZ wheels on my last car and hit some serious potholes, etc.... yet the wheels were completely fine. Some friends with cheaper wheels on the other hand... the slightest hit and the wheel was bent. The knockoff version of my OZ wheels cost ONE THIRD the cost of the actual OZ's tho!

I hope people understand in the future that by buying knockoffs they are stifling development of future parts... and putting their safety at risk!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Crester
The whole cheapness/knock off thing is a general cultural thing than a car thing. People just want the look of parts... and not necessarily the performance of them. These people really don't see how they are hurting the industry by not supporting the guys who develop various products... they just just wanna save a couple dollars themselves. Kinda sucks because it takes away the motivation for the real companies to keep pushing forward with research and development.

When it comes to car parts... a lot of people who just want looks and only drive their car to work/school and back home may not even put the equipment in such a state that it would fail. But if you use the parts the way they are supposedly supposed to be used for... the imitation parts will give up way before the name brand parts. As for the question of the relevance of the tests in the video... I know it's not necessarily a "real world situation"... but it shows how the imitation wheel can be seriously damaged (crack!!!) while the name brand wheel hardly has any damage at all. I had OZ wheels on my last car and hit some serious potholes, etc.... yet the wheels were completely fine. Some friends with cheaper wheels on the other hand... the slightest hit and the wheel was bent. The knockoff version of my OZ wheels cost ONE THIRD the cost of the actual OZ's tho!

I hope people understand in the future that by buying knockoffs they are stifling development of future parts... and putting their safety at risk!
1+

Sad thing is, people (their money) on average will still flow to the path of least resistance. We have been spoiled by cheap goodies. Instead of having normal market place with a majority of quality goodies and a few knock offs. The market today has turned around so you have a majority of crap and you have to really really dig for the gems. When you find it, people still bust your ***** over it. lol. Why are you going to pay this much $$$ for that, why not buy this one for half the price.

Makes me want to slap people.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

1+

Sad thing is, people (their money) on average will still flow to the path of least resistance. We have been spoiled by cheap goodies. Instead of having normal market place with a majority of quality goodies and a few knock offs. The market today has turned around so you have a majority of crap and you have to really really dig for the gems. When you find it, people still bust your ***** over it. lol. Why are you going to pay this much $$$ for that, why not buy this one for half the price.

Makes me want to slap people.
Agreed. I had to dig for weeks to find a good deal on a set of Work rims, that wouldn't take until I start growing grey hair to come in from Japan. Finally found them, and still paid double what I would have for a set of cheap rims. Do I regret spending the extra cash? Not at all, but only because I know from experience what the difference is between going cheap and going quality.

I've been down the cheap road before, and been burned for doing it. Sadly, it took this kind of experience for me to really know the difference. For me, the learning experience came from trying to put a turbo kit into a Honda without spending too much money. I learned the hard way that if you try to get results and be cheap, it will end up costing you more than it would have to do it the right way the first time.

The problem is, I'd expect everyone else to do the same thing as I did, and try to go the cheap way, even if people tell you not to. Gotta learn the hard way, hopefully the consequences are just time wasted and money spent, and no other harm done.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SudzRA
Agreed. I had to dig for weeks to find a good deal on a set of Work rims, that wouldn't take until I start growing grey hair to come in from Japan. Finally found them, and still paid double what I would have for a set of cheap rims. Do I regret spending the extra cash? Not at all, but only because I know from experience what the difference is between going cheap and going quality.

I've been down the cheap road before, and been burned for doing it. Sadly, it took this kind of experience for me to really know the difference. For me, the learning experience came from trying to put a turbo kit into a Honda without spending too much money. I learned the hard way that if you try to get results and be cheap, it will end up costing you more than it would have to do it the right way the first time.

The problem is, I'd expect everyone else to do the same thing as I did, and try to go the cheap way, even if people tell you not to. Gotta learn the hard way, hopefully the consequences are just time wasted and money spent, and no other harm done.
some people never learn that lesson.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

some people never learn that lesson.

Those are the people who are lucky enough that the cheap stuff doesn't blow up. For the rest of us, we learn
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SudzRA
Those are the people who are lucky enough that the cheap stuff doesn't blow up. For the rest of us, we learn
Darwinism