Notices

Toronto's best tuner

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2011, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toronto's best tuner

i know this is a question that some people may get heated about because its probably very hard to answer, but lately ive been reading about how hard it is to PROPERLY tune the twin clutch on the evo mr and ralliart and since im around the time where i need a tune, i would like to know which tuners around here have lots of experience with these sorts of cars.

there are a lot of reputable tuners i have found, only one problem, they all live in california haha. this is not to say there arent any around here, thus my question... where should i go? who has the most experience with our type of car?

i have heard of magnus motorsports, and Advance Power House a.k.a APH, but thats basically it! any help?

thanks guys
Old Jul 11, 2011, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every time I hear about a local tuner who "knows" EVO's... I always hear about Magnus. But then I hear some people don't like the attitude of the owner... or the costs... so I dunno.

But as far as what I've heard... Magnus is the only local guys that really know the EVO. Other guys can tune EVO's... but they don't necessarily know about SST or MiVEC.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 04:56 AM
Evolving Member

What's the deal with the owner?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

If you haven't met Marco or seen him i'n action thunder then go meet him and find out. Ask about a random tune and youll find out.

Aph has an Evo. They are Asian and I've heard decent things, magnus is over his head busy, cares nothing about customer service but does a fairly good job.

If you want the best goto Chicago aka ams or new jersey for Ivey. You do not need to goto Cali. I'd go Florida long before that.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Widoww
If you haven't met Marco or seen him i'n action thunder then go meet him and find out. Ask about a random tune and youll find out.

Aph has an Evo. They are Asian and I've heard decent things, magnus is over his head busy, cares nothing about customer service but does a fairly good job.

If you want the best goto Chicago aka ams or new jersey for Ivey. You do not need to goto Cali. I'd go Florida long before that.
I'm getting my Lancer tuned by Magnus on Thursday.
I can tell you that Marco is not the easiest person to deal with.
I've heard nothing but good things about his work, but his personality could use a reflash .
Just as Widoww said, he's extremely busy, so getting a hold of him is not easy (week of emails and calls and I still couldn't get a hold of him)
However, this week for whatever reason he's been extremely friendly and helpful with me
I'll let you know when the car is done how good of a job they do!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:24 AM

I'd rather take the drive down to the states than go with anyone else in Toronto

I THINK the closest reputable tuner to us is david buschur in ohio. It's like a 6 hr drive lol
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Bushur is defitely top of the list if you want it done right the first time.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Yea, i'll go to Bushur for the tune! 6hours of pure fun
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Slyy
Yea, i'll go to Bushur for the tune! 6hours of pure fun
only on the way back LOL
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:04 AM

lol slyy you still want to drive down?
do it up in the fall?

sorry OP, completely hijacked the thread. I know you were asking about guys in Toronto.
I think Magnus would be your best bet for tuners in Toronto
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Magnus

Magnus hands down.

Your car wont leave the shop until its safe and reliable.

I'v seen Marco do 20+ pulls to dial in an "crappy" EBC. The guy knows his stuff. But can you imagine trying to work getting 20-30 calls per day asking about this and that. Hell I would loose my mind.

He is a tuner and an engine builder, probably one of the best out there, but people tend to use him like an encyclopaedia.

I did all my research before I brought my car down for the rebuild. Stuff that didn't work, he corrected it (example piston recess with oversize valves and kelford B cams) and made it work.

Dont forget, a human cannot work 12-16 hour days non stop over and over.

Get your car tuned, do it at Magnus, do it local, because when your engine pops from a USA based tune...................its gonna be a hell of a tow to get it back down to them

BTW- at the shop right now, there are 3 evoX (1 race), 2 evo9, 1 STi08, 1 Sti07, 1porsche (supercharged), 1 350z (supercharged), and 1 Eclipse Race Car.

Some have been shipped up from the united states for major upgrades and work.

Tee hee hee winning.

NEWB
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:12 PM

haha you know that every job at some point will have people asking you this and that 20+ times a day right?
yes, everyone will snap at some point, but most people will act more professionally in their field.

choice is up to the OP but there really aren't any choices in Toronto.

I'd still choose going down to the states where I can talk to the tuner and work with them and be satisfied about the entire experience overall.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 01:02 PM

Hey guys,
Lemme tell you how my days go!
Yesterday I finished building one motor , started on a second, and started prepping and washing a third, in between I was handling office stuff, talking to customers that walked in, and dealing with other business stuff. That was between the hours of 8 and 5, at 5:30pm I got my first dyno appointment, a 2009RA. Got that done, then I tuned a GT-R with COBB, soon after I did 3 dyno runs with a supra for a quick diagnosis, so he can come at a later date. At 10:30 I got my final car on the dyno its a supercharged Porsche 996 Carrera, I tuned that till 2.30 am. In between the GTR and the supra I had 1 slice of pizza.
So yes its busy, but its busy for a reason, because we get the quality work done and we get it done right. To be brutally honest we are far more busy this year because we are getting at least 2 cars a week, from another local tuner who will remain nameless, because people who are unhappy with their cars driveability.
Between april and october we will literally do 2 - 3 cars per day on tuning 7 days a week. We are booked 3 weeks in advance, we also tune every car, from Mini, to corvette, to ferrari, to porsche to Mercedes, to Lambo. I Specialize in Mitsubishi's because that is where my heart is, and I love them, and I have owned many and have raced many. Even though we charge more to custom tune a porsche, we still charge the same to tune your mitsu, and jobs are worked on in an as they come basis, that means you won’t get bumped for a guy with more money, and your car is worked on one at a time.
I have over 250,000 dollars invested in Tuning equipment, tuning tools and softwares. We are a real pro operation, not a guy with a tactrix cable and an open road. Remember you usually will end up paying twice by going to an inexperienced tuner. Half the cars I see are coming here to get fixed from other places, so do yourself a favor come here first. I have tuned literally thousands of cars, over my 15 year career and am connected with everybody in the industry,
You know I make it sound like its all fun and games tuning fancy cars and I’m some sort of bigshot, but it is a job, and being the boss also allows me to such other fun things, like just this morning, I swept up about 400 cigarette butts from the front of the shop area where people like to hang out when their cars are getting tuned and not clean up after themselves, and I just finished washing all the dishes in the lunch room because it smells like something died in there. Am I the boss? No I’m probably just the janitor! But just like every other job handed to me I get it done!
I'm Not going to apologize for some of the people that think my personality is abrasive, because to be honest, people usually get upset when you try and tell them what they don't want to hear. When you are here in front of me, you usually will have my full attention, but emails and phone calls, are usually full of people that just try and extract free information from me, and that takes away time from the paying customers. The way I see it and what people have told me is When you are working 16 hrs a day, because of the sheer volume of work you have, it must means that you are doing something right. If they are coming here for pro advice, and pro work, expect to pay pro prices for pro service by someone who has all the latest pro tools and pro staff, but they will get a PRO job done right.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds fair enough. As someone who runs their own business as well, I can appreciate what is being said.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 01:44 PM

ya but I don't think anyone here was questioning the quality of his work. Most of us have already stated he's the only choice in Toronto

However, in comparison to the other reputable tuners in the states, I prefer their disposition more.
That's why I said I would personally prefer to make the drive down to a tuner where I can talk to them about my car and what I want to do with it.

Quick Reply: Toronto's best tuner