Notices

Dealer Service Department Debate - Who Is Right?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealer Service Department Debate - Who Is Right?

I had the pleasure of being in the service department of a Mitsubishi dealership while a customer and the service advisor were debating/arguing. Basically the situation is like this... a lady brought in her Mitsubishi vehicle which was purchased recently for a small service item at the dealership. When they were setting up the work order the service advisor goes... "Oh! Looks like you also need Type X service!". The lady asked what that was and why she needed that... and the service advisor basically says that he doesn't see that the Type X service was done on her car at a certain mileage. Lady asked when it was supposed to be done and then realizes that mileage occurred before she bought the vehicle (from that dealership)!

The lady got pretty annoyed... saying that when she bought the car if that service should have been done... they should have done it before they gave the car to her. The service advisor says they only really do oil changes and not necessarily the Type X service packages that he was asking about. The lady claimed this was stupid... and that she was told the car was like new and all taken care of before she bought it. Service advisor just claimed she should have checked with their service department before she actually purchased the vehicle to see what was done... and still insisted she did the Type X service.

Who do you think is right in this case? What should happen? As far as I am concerned I kinda agree with the lady. When you buy a car from the dealership... they should do all the services required up to that point in time. They shouldn't sell you a car knowing a major service was due.. and then turn around after you purchased the vehicle and insist you do that service which technically was due when the car was still under the dealership's ownership.

What do you guys think?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, that sounds like misrepresentation at best and outright fraud at worst, particularly if they sold her the car without warning her about that. Gotta love stealerships.

Dare I ask which dealership or are you trying to avoid naming names?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
I bought my 06 RA from cambridge mitsubishi, at 138,000km...they told me everything was good, warranty expired at 160k, timing belt went at 162k...timing belt service should have been done prior to the mileage at which i purchased the car...but was not, in fact it was the original timing belt...

They basically told me they would fix it for about $3,000, and took no resonsibility...
Old Dec 6, 2011, 01:27 PM

I'm with the car owner on this one.

In case of the belt, the warranty expired before it went, but what kind of "belt service" was supposed to be done before you purchased the car? Was it just inspect or replace? If it was just to inspect, than you have no claim other than replace the belt the cheapest way for yourself. If the belt was supposed to be replaced as a part of regular maintenance and it didn't happen, then I see some grounds to go after dealership as they've told you that everything was up to date (service wise). - Re-read your posting. Timing belt should have been replaced by the dealership as it's good condition was part of the sale.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 01:31 PM

Well, it's official. I will never buy a car from a Mitsubishi dealership ever. In a business full of liars and scumbags Mitsubishi is by far the worst I've ever heard of. It's just one story after another with these douchebags. I repeat, Mitsubishi will be out of business in this country within 5 years.

I really hope that lady has a good lawyer, I would make them bleed money before I was done with them
Old Dec 6, 2011, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Oksamit
I'm with the car owner on this one.

In case of the belt, the warranty expired before it went, but what kind of "belt service" was supposed to be done before you purchased the car? Was it just inspect or replace? If it was just to inspect, than you have no claim other than replace the belt the cheapest way for yourself. If the belt was supposed to be replaced as a part of regular maintenance and it didn't happen, then I see some grounds to go after dealership as they've told you that everything was up to date (service wise). - Re-read your posting. Timing belt should have been replaced by the dealership as it's good condition was part of the sale.
Belt should have been replaced well before the mileage i purchased it at...they told me the maintenance was up to date, and i trusted them...less than 30,000km later i had the engine apart in my driveway for 2 months, working on it on weekends, because i was travelling 300km for military training every week, which is the sole reason i bought a second car, so i could leave my ES at home with the wife and kids...i told them that, and they didn't give a shyt...
Old Dec 6, 2011, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

I think the dealership should be burned down with the employees trapped inside

J/K thats harsh.. but I'm with the customer. I feel like Mitsubishi dealerships always try this bull**** and its like a scam tactic. "If they bite, we win. If they don't what do we have to lose"
Old Dec 6, 2011, 07:57 PM
Former Sponsor

I think its an oversight by both parties. Dealership should have known. Owner should have done the research on the car including prior service history. I would never buy a car unless i knew everything about it.

Its a draw
Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:33 PM

^ agreed. Its ****ty but its also easy to point fingers. Cars break sometimes right after warranty ends. She should of researched and dealership should know better.

Sometimes though it is a case of "If they bite, we win. If they don't what do we have to lose" but welcome to the industry. Not the only company/ garage who does this. Not even the only "trade" who does this.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:40 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
a used car is a used car. as is, no warranty. it is a wearable item issue, must be timing belt and water pump. it is still responsibility of the car owner. I never heard of any free timing belt replacement.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by sblvro
a used car is a used car. as is, no warranty. it is a wearable item issue, must be timing belt and water pump. it is still responsibility of the car owner. I never heard of any free timing belt replacement.
Things are a little different in Ontario... Car must be Described "As IS" on the bill of sale otherwise need a full safety and e-test to pass.

In this case (and dealership experience) The customer is right in my books, but....

What year was this car crester? Demo? pre-owned?

It comes down to that. If it`s pre-owned....then technically, it wouldnt have mattered... an oil change, rotate tires, safety,e-test, delivery. If it was a demo...Then EVERYTHING needs to be up to date! All oil-changes, all required maintenences MUST BE DONE! Otherwise, according to Mitsubishi, Warranty will void.

Was this a west end dealer Crester? Or east end? I dont need to know the name.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by sblvro
This. If you want 100% peace of mind then buy brand new, otherwise prepare to search maintenance records when buying used.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kracka
This. If you want 100% peace of mind then buy brand new, otherwise prepare to search maintenance records when buying used.
I dont know about that. Even brand new, you have to be on the dealership sometimes to replace even items that are warranty. There is a guy on the Mitsubishi Facebook page that was told his timing belt needs to be replaced.... and then they just left him to hang. Even Mitsu head office here in Canada didnt respond.

Now there is only one side of the story here. But if your at 44,000 km on a car and it dies. Say something to the guy. Rejected claim, approved claim. say something. Dont let him hang.

http://www.facebook.com/MitsubishiMotors

I am not sure if the USA guys get directed to the same Canadian side, but its right there. Not sure what to make of it. Erik is his name I think
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

^ Dont lancer have the timing chains not belts?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Greedy_son
^ Dont lancer have the timing chains not belts?
Correct. Some of the previous models did not though.

Quick Reply: Dealer Service Department Debate - Who Is Right?