Notices

My experience with Scar. Mitsubishi.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An evo or Ralliart can survive on 5w20 if its a synthetic. Very important that its synthetic. While it is disapointing to see a mistake like this. The mix up isnt catastrophic. 5w30 is recommended because it provides the right amount of heat management properties when it flows at operating temperature. Even if you use 5w20 oil, your car is more than capable of keeping things cool.

Now if you are racing the car or beating on it. You may have an issue. Now what would be more alarming would be if they used some semi synthetic crap in it. that stuff will break down and frag your turbo or you motor.

While it may seem like a useless effort, I suggest your write a letter to Mitsubishi head office in Canada and a copy of that sent to the Mitsubishi USA as well as Japan. Who do now monitor things like this.

Sigh ...
Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This story is just another reason why I take my lancer to my own private mechanic (and will continue to unless it is a warranty issue). Ive been going to my mechanic for years and hes a good guy who knows his stuff and doesn't cut corners to make a profit. I recently had my oil changed and he he put in full synthetic 5w40. I was a bit confused why he put 5w40 in and he explained that in there experience when running on synthetics the 5w20 tended to burn a lot quicker in the newer cars. So I accepted the explanation and I must say the car is running great so far. BTW the synthetic was by Motul. Good German Product there.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LIVEEVIL
This story is just another reason why I take my lancer to my own private mechanic (and will continue to unless it is a warranty issue). Ive been going to my mechanic for years and hes a good guy who knows his stuff and doesn't cut corners to make a profit. I recently had my oil changed and he he put in full synthetic 5w40. I was a bit confused why he put 5w40 in and he explained that in there experience when running on synthetics the 5w20 tended to burn a lot quicker in the newer cars. So I accepted the explanation and I must say the car is running great so far. BTW the synthetic was by Motul. Good German Product there.
5w40 will work on your car no doubt. But your trade off will be fuel economy since it will be a little harder on your engine to move that thicker oil around. It might cost you 2% - 4 % . jumping down a 5w30 or 0w30 will help for the winter time. There is no benefit to running it in the winter. But if your going to hit the track or drive hard in the summer it helps
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LIVEEVIL

Can't go wrong with Motul or Lubro Moly/Liqui Moly. Both are choice German oils.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:37 PM

I've had some poor experiences at Scarb Mitsu recently. I understand that cars will break but I would expect the dealership and Mitsubishi to troubleshoot/identify the issue and repair quickly.

More recently got check eng light, goto the dealer...they clear it...check eng light agn, goto the dealer...they clear it and indicate they would follow up with corp...check eng light agn...they check with corp and measure the timing chain which stretched...my daily driver sat at the dealer for over a week w/o a loaner while awaiting parts. Worse yet, I had to keep calling to get updates from the service advisor. emailed MMSCAN, never heard back.

End of october/early nov the drivability/performance of the car changed and it was tough to put a finger on where the issue was...since a family member went on vacay, I took the opportunity to drop the car at the dealer...family returned from vacay 7 days later...no progress on my car, and pu my car from the dealer. still awaiting a resolution

while I like the evo x, if I had known the customer service was going to be like this I may have opted for another car.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tostevo
I've had some poor experiences at Scarb Mitsu recently. I understand that cars will break but I would expect the dealership and Mitsubishi to troubleshoot/identify the issue and repair quickly.

More recently got check eng light, goto the dealer...they clear it...check eng light agn, goto the dealer...they clear it and indicate they would follow up with corp...check eng light agn...they check with corp and measure the timing chain which stretched...my daily driver sat at the dealer for over a week w/o a loaner while awaiting parts. Worse yet, I had to keep calling to get updates from the service advisor. emailed MMSCAN, never heard back.

End of october/early nov the drivability/performance of the car changed and it was tough to put a finger on where the issue was...since a family member went on vacay, I took the opportunity to drop the car at the dealer...family returned from vacay 7 days later...no progress on my car, and pu my car from the dealer. still awaiting a resolution

while I like the evo x, if I had known the customer service was going to be like this I may have opted for another car.
Just curious, do you own a WW Evo X?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

I take it they replaced the timing chain, is that correct? Given Scarborough couldn't change fluids correctly on my Ralliart, this may be a cause for concern.

I don't know if it's possible with this particular engine, but I've worked on others with a timing belt, and if the cam timing was not set correctly, it will most certainly feel off and performance will be impacted.

Last edited by TrailBrake; Dec 20, 2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like the exact same issues I had with mitsubishi. When they had to replace the motor in my GTS, it took them nearly 2 months and if I didnt demand a loaner car, thats how long I would of been out of a car. Autopark mitsubishi ended up giving me some dirty old, worn out Sebring, which ended up breaking down on me. I lost of days work waiting around for a tow truck to pick up me and the car from Markham. Eventually the car got towed back to Burlington and they replaced the sebring with a old Galant on its last leg.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:15 PM

yep a ww evo x...which is your's 416? I don't post much, don't mean to take you guys off topic by mentioning the timing chain, srry. having said that I bought this car b/c of the chain vs. belt, now only to have it replaced. can't imagine if this happened out of warranty. I'd like to think the mechanics @ scarb mitsu are good guys. perhaps corp isn't providing the right equipment or training to troubleshoot the x? I honestly don't know what to think anymore and I'm starting to believe this is an all around customer service failure starting at corp and at a dealership level. scary considering the money we put out for these cars...my buddy has an A4, turbo went, drove into the dealer dropped his car and drove out with a loaner...similar stories with another friends Honda.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by evo_soul
5w40 will work on your car no doubt. But your trade off will be fuel economy since it will be a little harder on your engine to move that thicker oil around. It might cost you 2% - 4 % . jumping down a 5w30 or 0w30 will help for the winter time. There is no benefit to running it in the winter. But if your going to hit the track or drive hard in the summer it helps

Oddly enough I haven't really noticed my fuel economy dropping that much. But thanks for the alternates. I'll probably try em out next oil change.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

yep a ww evo x...which is your's 416? I don't post much, don't mean to take you guys off topic by mentioning the timing chain, srry. having said that I bought this car b/c of the chain vs. belt, now only to have it replaced. can't imagine if this happened out of warranty. I'd like to think the mechanics @ scarb mitsu are good guys. perhaps corp isn't providing the right equipment or training to troubleshoot the x? I honestly don't know what to think anymore and I'm starting to believe this is an all around customer service failure starting at corp and at a dealership level. scary considering the money we put out for these cars...my buddy has an A4, turbo went, drove into the dealer dropped his car and drove out with a loaner...similar stories with another friends Honda.
I am not sure if that was you but I was there one day to have oil change, and saw a WW Evo X. I was told it's engine light was on. I didn't see you though. It was the last Monday of Nov.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:56 AM

The guys at Markham Mitsubishi was kind enough to arrange a loaner while the car goes in for random no starts and, other issues that came up. The car is less then 6 months old. FML.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
An evo or Ralliart can survive on 5w20 if its a synthetic. Very important that its synthetic. While it is disapointing to see a mistake like this. The mix up isnt catastrophic. 5w30 is recommended because it provides the right amount of heat management properties when it flows at operating temperature. Even if you use 5w20 oil, your car is more than capable of keeping things cool.

Now if you are racing the car or beating on it. You may have an issue. Now what would be more alarming would be if they used some semi synthetic crap in it. that stuff will break down and frag your turbo or you motor.

While it may seem like a useless effort, I suggest your write a letter to Mitsubishi head office in Canada and a copy of that sent to the Mitsubishi USA as well as Japan. Who do now monitor things like this.

Sigh ...
Survive does that equate to works properly?

Just as a side note. The Caliber SRT-4 comes with 0W40 factor fill for their 4B12T.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:31 AM
Evolving Member

I'd like to think the mechanics @ scarb mitsu are good guys. perhaps corp isn't providing the right equipment or training to troubleshoot the x?
The mechanics at Scar Mitsu might not be properly trained, but that's a general skill level problem. They do have the correct tools, such as the factory service manual and MUT-III diag tool or equivalent. That's how they are reading/clearing codes, applying ECU updates, etc.

Any competent wrench can get the job done with those tools. Factory training is not required, but you would expect a dealer mechanic to have factory training. More so, the problem lies with their lackadaisical, sloppy work ethic, plain and simple.

With just the factory manual, I had a skilled independent shop verify the work Scar Mitsu billed me for, and found they failed to change my transfer oil (it was very dirty) and used the improper amount of SST fluid when it was changed, and SST filter was filthy even though I was told it was clean by Scar Mitsu. I was right there with the car at the shop, watching everything while it was checked, so the findings are legit. Any mechanic with a clue wouldn't have made these mistakes. This shows the guys at Scar Mitsu clearly don't care about the quality of their work, and will lie to hide their ineptitude.

If you want to give them your business, it's naturally your choice, but it's fair to say now given all the feedback on this board, it might not be the safest thing to do.

Last edited by TrailBrake; Dec 22, 2011 at 04:53 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TrailBrake
The mechanics at Scar Mitsu might not be properly trained, but that's a general skill level problem. They do have the correct tools, such as the factory service manual and MUT-III diag tool or equivalent. That's how they are reading/clearing codes, applying ECU updates, etc.

Any competent wrench can get the job done with those tools. Factory training is not required, but you would expect a dealer mechanic to have factory training. More so, the problem lies with their lackadaisical, sloppy work ethic, plain and simple.

With just the factory manual, I had a skilled independent shop verify the work Scar Mitsu billed me for, and found they failed to change my transfer oil (it was very dirty) and used the improper amount of SST fluid when it was changed, and SST filter was filthy even though I was told it was clean by Scar Mitsu. I was right there with the car at the shop, watching everything while it was checked, so the findings are legit. Any mechanic with a clue wouldn't have made these mistakes. This shows the guys at Scar Mitsu clearly don't care about the quality of their work, and will lie to hide their ineptitude.

If you want to give them your business, it's naturally your choice, but it's fair to say now given all the feedback on this board, it might not be the safest thing to do.

Sounds like a bunch of rip-off artists to me.... pathetic.

Quick Reply: My experience with Scar. Mitsubishi.