Notices

Safety Standards Certificate in Ontario + mod questions?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Safety Standards Certificate in Ontario + mod questions?

Hi guys,

The thought crossed my mind to move to Ontario (due to job opportunity) and I just had some questions regarding registering my Evo from another province.

Just wondering if any of you guys had to get a Safety Standards Certificate for your cars and if so, how was the process and what are the best shops to go to in Toronto for this? Also, I was wondering how the Emissions Certificate process was as well in Ontario, and what is the best shop to go to was?

Are they strict on mods for this inspection for the safety standards cert and emissions cert (full tbe exhaust, intake, IC piping, Intercooler, visual mods, suspension, etc)? Will I be fine as long as I have my stock cat for emissions?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys, this will help with my decision!

Last edited by reboundicon; Dec 20, 2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure about the safety standards but most mechanics will know a place where you can get an Emissions test done. Its as simple as going to a facility that does the testing and get them to test it. It passes yay. It doesn't then you need to get what ever needs to be done in order to get it to pass. The alternate is that some mechanics can "buy" the emissions test certificate for you and save you the trouble if the repairs are extensive or if your car puts out a ton of pollution.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 05:47 AM
Evolving Member

Emission test for full-time AWD cars in Ontario is with the car stationary at idle and at 2500rpm, as the testing equipment only has one roller.

Have the car nicely warmed up, and it shouldn't be an issue if you have a cat and aren't running crazy rich.

http://www.allcareauto.ca/all-care-a...clean-test.php

Last edited by TrailBrake; Dec 30, 2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LIVEEVIL
I'm not sure about the safety standards but most mechanics will know a place where you can get an Emissions test done. Its as simple as going to a facility that does the testing and get them to test it. It passes yay. It doesn't then you need to get what ever needs to be done in order to get it to pass. The alternate is that some mechanics can "buy" the emissions test certificate for you and save you the trouble if the repairs are extensive or if your car puts out a ton of pollution.
Thanks for the info, do any of you guys have mod friendly shops to get the Safety Standards Certificate around the Toronto area? Or perhaps a place I can get both the Safety and Emissions done in one shot that is "mod friendly"?

Thanks again
Old Jan 3, 2012, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

Modded or not as long as you don't have oil dripping onto exhaust, broken or missing components, good amount of pads and tires left, your vehicle should pass safety.