Notices

Testing Plasma Ignition EVOX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Testing Plasma Ignition EVOX

We are looking to test an EVO X with the SPDI Programmable Plasma Ignition system. Testing will be done in Ajax Ontario (Fab shop there that we can use)

What this is:
SPDI Spark is a Plasma based Ignition System that increases engine efficiency and has a positive impact on emissions.

SPDI: Spatial Plasma Discharge Ignition

What is required:

As stock as possible, bolt on mods are ok and a stage 1 ecu tune is not an issue. Eventually as this product develops we will target higher HP cars. We will install a test system, no cutting or splicing of any stock harness is required. We will be using a virtual dyno, we know its not the most accurate way but it will show the gains and the driver will get to feel the difference.

Stage 1:
Dyno car as is, do 3-4 pulls for repeatability.

Stage 2:
Install the SPDI Ignition, do 3-4 pulls again for repeatability. Then adjust the spark to improve combustion and achieve better results.

Entire process should take about 4-5 hours and will be done on a Saturday.

Any one interested contact me pm me and contact info will be passed on.

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Tester and date set anyone want to show up your more than welcome.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post date And address I'm sure some Evo guys will shop up
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Once the testing date and facilities are confirmed I will let everyone know. Its looking like the Ajax area.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Test date is Saturday April 7th 2012 1pm at Street Rate Parts in Ajax.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:11 PM
R0Y

*SORRY* Guys... apparently the data info given to me was false
so I am deleting this Post" ...our stock system still works best for our cars
proven on the dyno sometime ago in 2012 at reputable dyno shop here in Toronto

Last edited by R0Y; Apr 7, 2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by R0Y
Thanks Brent! I think the testing results are very good and I'm quite impressed with the difference compared to the stock system. I'm sure a lot of ppl will be interested in this system once they see the comparison data. The overall acceleration feels more responsive.

here's my crappy phone pics i took during the testing on my MR...
List any mods you have, along with octane and please post a better picture of the virtual dyno.

Was there any tuning done, all you mention is "adjust the spark to improve combustion", please provide more information, better yet, include the actual process of your test plan.

BEFORE
235hp 223lbs ft

AFTER
253hp 258lbs ft

Last edited by christx; Apr 11, 2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:20 PM

Does the engines gets hotter using this ignition?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jerry_x
I have seen about the same temps or lower on the EVOX. My Audi is running AFR that will may most shiver with no knock and normal EGT temps, we believe if we wont push this system on our own cars how can we expect you to do it? Under full boost temps are normal, cruise is slightly lower. To be honest the way the car reacts to the ignition system is vehicle dependent. The EVO8-9 and X engine temps are not effected.

With this system you can program the spark to best suit your driving habits. If you want a setting for better fuel economy or if you want power just program the spark.

Last edited by OttRalliart05; Apr 12, 2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jerry_x
I have seen about the same temps or lower on the EVOX. My Audi is running AFR that will may most shiver with no knock and normal EGT temps, we believe if we wont push this system on our own cars how can we expect you to do it? Under full boost temps are normal, cruise is slightly lower. To be honest the way the car reacts to the ignition system is vehicle dependent. The EVO8-9 and X engine temps are not effected.

With this system you can program the spark to best suit your driving habits. If you want a setting for better fuel economy or if you want power just program the spark.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:21 AM

Can i try this on my regular Lancer ES? Not on Evo yet?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Absolutly, pm me to make arrangements.

We have a universal kit For the do it yourself projects or kits for specific engine bay configurations. The main components are all the same, ignition module and coils, what makes the SPDI a "kit" is we will design the layout and assemble the harness. The spark profile will be differnt, again we have a base profile you you to start with.

Last edited by OttRalliart05; Apr 17, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Was there any tuning done, all you mention is "adjust the spark to improve combustion", please provide more information, better yet, include the actual process of your test plan.

BEFORE
235hp 223lbs ft

AFTER
253hp 258lbs ft[/QUOTE]

The car was stock no mods. With the SPDI system the spark is programable or you can "tune" the spark for the specific power levels of your engine. The comcept is new, although a plasma spark is not new the ablility to tune the spark is.

Quick explination is: We took a stock EVOX (Thanks to Roy) installed our test system, ran or tuned the park (we did about 25-30 tests) to for better performance. Roy can testify that the old saying "a spark is a spark" no longer applies.

Here is the website have a look for more information: www.spdispark.com
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by OttRalliart05
The car was stock no mods. With the SPDI system the spark is programable or you can "tune" the spark for the specific power levels of your engine. The comcept is new, although a plasma spark is not new the ablility to tune the spark is.

Quick explination is: We took a stock EVOX (Thanks to Roy) installed our test system, ran or tuned the park (we did about 25-30 tests) to for better performance. Roy can testify that the old saying "a spark is a spark" no longer applies.

Here is the website have a look for more information: www.spdispark.com
What is the method used to "tune" the spark?

edit: nm found the answer

Q: Is SPDI-Spark programmable?

A: Yes. You can program the spark profile, rev limit etc. You will need to purchase a SPDI programmer and download the programming software.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by christx
What is the method used to "tune" the spark?

edit: nm found the answer

Q: Is SPDI-Spark programmable?

A: Yes. You can program the spark profile, rev limit etc. You will need to purchase a SPDI programmer and download the programming software.
SPDI can "tune" or "program"

Breakdown Current
Ignition delay
Ignition power
Plasma power
Total spark duration

The key feature SPDI will allow you to apply the right amount of energy for the specific needs of your engine. There are many variables that effect combustion and that process is way beyond my pay grade. It is contained mayhem at best, SPDI main function is to burn as much fuel as possible in the combustion chamber. I have done over 200 different configuration on a few test vehicles and all have needed different power levels for better combustion.

Quick Reply: Testing Plasma Ignition EVOX