Notices

Need BOV Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2004, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by turtlelancer
Its funny becuase no one mentions or has it really, but the blitz i put on my car isnt giving me any problems at all, evyerthing is fine, never stalls, and a straight up pssh sound, its too nice man. I have apex i n1 catback and the bov no other mods, but it hasnt given me problems

I was looking at that as well, but something about the APS caught me.

to hi

Stocker leaks, period. Greddy does not. I put my friend's in my car and it held just as well as the MR. The MR is the same valve as the stocker, but not plastic and with a stiffer spring. As to the rest of your question, i am tuned, so i dont think that would matter and i dont think it would matter at all... IMO

i guess i forgot to add...the MR DOES flutter...if you are boosting and you let off really quickly (from what ive noticed in 5th, havent tried in other gears), you'll get a flutter. This also will happen if you do it just right, under boost.

Last edited by blackevoVII; Nov 13, 2004 at 06:53 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

if you want the pssh sound, the blitz dd is definitely the way to go.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Blitz is nice, haven't tried it but I've ehard nothing but good about it... Don't get the FORGE it's a waste of time... I got nothing but flutter from it- and wasted hours changing out the springs with no luck of finding a winning combination.

I ordered the MR and ma pumped to get it. The stocker leaks at anything above 16-17psi and I'm running 20. The MR should take care of that. Not looking for anything fancy, just functional and economical. Doesn't hurt that it's also JDM.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smp3000
Blitz is nice, haven't tried it but I've ehard nothing but good about it... Don't get the FORGE it's a waste of time... I got nothing but flutter from it- and wasted hours changing out the springs with no luck of finding a winning combination.

I ordered the MR and ma pumped to get it. The stocker leaks at anything above 16-17psi and I'm running 20. The MR should take care of that. Not looking for anything fancy, just functional and economical. Doesn't hurt that it's also JDM.
heh heh...no one reads i ordered the APS. Forge is crap, ive read ONLY bad things about it. Hope the MR works for you.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 02:45 AM

I've had the APS in mine for about 10k with no problems now, had all the stalling issues with the stock one also! the APS one works great and sounds great too, no complaints here
Old Nov 14, 2004, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smp3000

Thats what Im doing. The stock actually worked fine for me for awhile. I actually posted above under Ttiwst16, but i managed to get back on my name. I heard the MR is basically as good as anyone out there for the most part. At least up to 25 PSI, im running 22-23. I dont think any BOV is perfect, it just seems to differ from car to car. I just wish there was some way before ym tune to test my XS and the MR. Any good way to test either other than just feel?
Old Nov 14, 2004, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Huscroft6
Thats what Im doing. The stock actually worked fine for me for awhile. I actually posted above under Ttiwst16, but i managed to get back on my name. I heard the MR is basically as good as anyone out there for the most part. At least up to 25 PSI, im running 22-23. I dont think any BOV is perfect, it just seems to differ from car to car. I just wish there was some way before ym tune to test my XS and the MR. Any good way to test either other than just feel?
my man, put the mr bov in and drive around with it. DO the following:

Drive up a hill and when you are coasting let the clutch out. Try it a few times.
Try a couple of k-turns.

Just drive around on it. Trust me, that BOV does not need to be tuned, its the same design as the stocker.

after about 500 feet, pretend like you are coming to a stop sign and stop. Take note of rpm drop, if any.

good luck.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

I can't wait to try mine out, should have it Monday. Right now the boost is very inconsistent since it does leak at WOT, but my current MBC is also a bit inconsistent. I should have a new one of those as well this week. So hopefully by Friday I'll be running a constant 20. Right now it's between 17-22.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

you could just have a vacuum leak- I would check that first before tossing a perfectly good bov. The mr is based on the 1g which works well and crushed- works best imo.

Good luck
Old Nov 14, 2004, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gt40
you could just have a vacuum leak- I would check that first before tossing a perfectly good bov. The mr is based on the 1g which works well and crushed- works best imo.

Good luck

stocker leaks. All do.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blackevoVII
stocker leaks. All do.
Not true. I have ran my stock BOV up to 27 psi. Some people seem to have the impression that the boost taper at high RPM is from a leaking BOV when its actually not. I agree w/ GT40. Check for Vacuum leaks before throwing out any BOV.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jj_008
Not true. I have ran my stock BOV up to 27 psi. Some people seem to have the impression that the boost taper at high RPM is from a leaking BOV when its actually not. I agree w/ GT40. Check for Vacuum leaks before throwing out any BOV.
First, if it was assumed i am saying taper is leaking, i am not.

Secondly,

IMHO, i believe all stockers leak. I dont mean leaking where it wont hit 22, 23...27psi. I believe someone on this forum even tested his and it leaked. Mine was set at 23 at one point and held it(for the most part), but it just felt weird. If i got on it slightly, i felt like i was being held back. My friend's leaked, my brother's friend's leak(gushed on a test). Its safe to say, THE MAJORITY of stockers leak, but i bet you, your's leaks too, whether great, or small... again, this is my opinion. I could be wrong and maybe, only, 90% leak

Last edited by blackevoVII; Nov 14, 2004 at 07:30 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

blitz

Hey i got the blitz dual on my 04 rs and it sounds great. it is also very loud. have any more questions on where i got it or anythign let me know pm me
Old Nov 14, 2004, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

hehe i'm not "tossing" anything. Just upgrading. The question of if the stocker leaks has prettymuch been figured out already (tested) but I'm not going to say it's the case for everyone.

The one thing you can't argue is that going from the stock plastic DV to the aluminum MR DV is a definite upgrade.I'm pretty sure I don't have a vacuum leak. All lines are tight and barbs plugged off where they need to be. Once the MR goes on I'll be able to test it- and if I'm still getting boost leak then it's likely the MBC which is being replaced this week as well.

The more mods you star tto make to the car- the more things you have to check for failure. Luckily right now I only have intake, mbc, and soon the MR DV.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

my greddy hold 24psi with zero leaks, a little fluttering at 5 gear.