Notices

Zzyzx Motorsports "EM Sport" coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2007, 01:52 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zzyzx Motorsports "EM Sport" coilovers

Zzyzx Motorsports "EM Sport" Coilovers

Zzyzx Motorsports is proud to announce a newly developed set of coilovers, targeted at a much lower price point than our current all-aluminum Competition coilovers. To date, the market has lacked a proven set of affordable coilovers based on the tried-and-true KONI 8611/8610 series dampers. That time has come: the "EM Sport" coilovers have arrived.

Our expertise in the design and manufacturing of coilovers for the Mitsubishi Evolution and Subaru Impreza (WRX, STI, RS) using KONI dampers has enabled many of our customers to trophy at SCCA National autocross events, where our products have undergone extreme conditions and been proven to provide a winning combination for our die-hard motorsports competitors.

This time, we turned our efforts to producing a set of coilovers for you, the enthusiast. However, the flexibility in our design addresses the needs of not just a street-oriented enthusiast looking for a sporty ride, but ultimately the same level of performance demonstrated by our Competition coilovers. Unlike any other offering currently available, these coilovers can be upgraded and specifically configured to suit your needs by you when you first purchase them and when you later decide to upgrade them.

As your interests and experience evolve from street-oriented performance to a serious Time Attack or autocross dedicated ride, these coilovers can be user upgraded to address your performance goals. What does this mean? You save money by not having to buy an entirely new set of coilovers once you’ve surpassed your current sets limits. You save time not having to re-install your suspension and, most importantly, you save setup time on the track.

Features

• User configurable, user upgradeable. You can start with a set of single adjustable KONI dampers and upgrade as needed to double adjustable. No need to go out and buy an entirely new set of coilovers. Included in the upgrade kits from single adjustable to double adjustable are the built-in dial bump adjusters.

• Strut bodies constructed out of 4130 Chromoly steel, stress relieved and heat treated for superior structural rigidity and toughness. Nobody offers a strut as tough, durable and stiff as these. In addition, the strut bodies are also cadmium plated and then powder coated (or painted) for unsurpassed corrosion resistance.

• Single height adjustable via a threaded billet aluminum lower spring perch with a coarse ACME thread pitch and nylon tipped set screw, making ride height adjustments quick and easy.

• Billet aluminum upper spring perches include a built-in thrust bearing assembly to eliminate spring noise and stiction during steering inputs. There’s nothing more annoying than a noisy set of coilovers and addressing small details such as these are what results in a silent set of coilovers.

• Large dial rebound adjusters (at the top of the damper) and built in dial bump adjusters (if double adjustable, at the bottom of the strut). This ensures you can accurately and quickly change your settings when needed, and not have to run around looking for that tool you lost. The detents – “clicks” - on the bump adjusters are so easily felt by touch, you don’t even have to see under the car to set them – just reach under and count the clicks. And unlike many coilovers, there’s no guessing as to what the min and max settings are – they have positive stops.

• Your choice of spring rates. Thanks to the wide adjustment range of these KONI dampers, they support a wide range of spring rates. Simply put, they'll handle whatever spring rates you require in your application and we know this from first-hand experience in competition. So, if you’re after a smooth ride with softer spring rates, these coilovers will deliver. If you want to go stiff with minimal body roll, got for it. Due to the highly digressive valving, the ride will not be punishing or jarring, as is often the case with most Asian-manufactured coilovers.

• Wide range of camber adjustability using a unique eccentric bolt design. We've developed an eccentric bolt design that offers an unmatched range of camber adjustment – both front and rear - that is positive locking. Based on feedback from our competition coilovers, we felt it a high priority to have a positive locking camber adjustment mechanism, so we did just that. Depending on your goals, you could easily forego camber plates and simply use the eccentric bolts to set your camber.

• Unparalleled rear strut/tire clearance (Subaru only). Rear flange ears are extended to provide additional strut/tire clearance not offered on other coilovers. We’ve found from our Competition coilovers that this has been a welcome feature and have decided to offer in this feature in this design, also. This allows you to run a higher offset wheel with a wider tire to clear the fender lip without rubbing on the strut. Particularly critical on a WRX wagon.

• Your choice of springs (basic, Hypercoil, Swift). Whether you opt for Hypercoils due to their guaranteed precision and accuracy or Swift due to their smaller wire diameter and lighter weight, the decision is yours.

Applications

Subaru Impreza (all)
Subaru Forester
Subaru WRX STI (including ‘05+)
Subaru WRX (including ‘08+)
Mitsubishi Evo VIII & IX (all, USDM)
Mitsubishi Lancer (‘08+ - in development - ask)
Mitsubishi Evo X (in development - ask)

Pricing

Pricing is subject to change as we’re still sorting out final production costs, but have provided our best estimates below and intend to do our best to meet these projected pricing levels.

Pricing includes all components with the “basic” springs, excluding camber plates.

Stage 1 - Single adjustable Front & Rear: $1850.00

Stage 1.5 - Double adjustable Front & single adjustable Rear: $2050.00

Stage 2 - Double Front / Double Rear: $2250.00

Last edited by ZzyzxM; Dec 7, 2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any pictures of this suspension?

Thats awesome that you utilize Koni shocks!

Last edited by h22gordo; Dec 11, 2007 at 08:39 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

+1 for pics $2250 sounds like a GREAT deal for df/dr!
Old Dec 12, 2007, 01:39 PM
Account Disabled

Thanks, guys.

No pictures of a full set just yet, unfortunately. I'll post 'em when I have them.

Response has been pretty positive so far - about to stop taking orders for this first production run.

Just as an FYI, these are the same KONIs used in our Competition Coilovers which are 100% billet aluminum.

We've seen great success at National level autocross events with these. Here's our Press Release for 2007 Solo Nationals. This is the 2nd year in a row we've campaigned the fastest Evo in Street Touring Ultra (STU), taking many other trophy spots with Evos, also.

The chromoly set will be similarly capable for serious performance and are surprisingly tolerable on the street, due to the KONI valving. It's nothing like the harsh ride you get with most Asian coilovers.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Bump for pics.

Please.

What spring rates are available?
Old Dec 31, 2007, 07:52 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by littlebluegt
Bump for pics.

Please.

What spring rates are available?
I don't have any pics of a finish coilovers yet. However, there is a lot of discussion and some pics of various components over here.

In terms of spring rates, that's entirely up to you, the customer. The vendor of the springs is up to you, also. We can do Hypercoil, Swift or Eibach. Since these coilovers use standard 2.5" ID springs, you can basically get springs in just about any rate you want.

Last edited by ZzyzxM; Dec 31, 2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Now I take it that the height adjustment is part of the spring preload and not independent of it?

If a person wants to stay closer to stock height can you give a setup that will let us run anything from maybe an inch lower to maybe even a little higher than stock?

If so would one be able to use these for the odd rally-x? If not no worry, I just may get a wild hair to run a stage road when we are at an event.

What sort of corrosion resistance do you think these well have? Any coatings or protection for those who take the cars out in wet and at times salt? (oops never mind!!! In addition, the strut bodies are also cadmium plated and then powder coated (or painted) for unsurpassed corrosion resistance.)

How often will these need to be rebuilt and how durable will they be if used often on the street?

If a person makes an order how long does it take to get the bits? Do you want full payment at time of order or is it part at time of order and part at ship?

Last edited by dsycks; Jan 2, 2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

By the way... lets say a person wants to go with rather light springs to start with. If they later decide to go serious track do they need a revalve or can you just slap in some stiffer springs?

Also, I know that one can add on later by going from SF/SR to DF/SR and then DF/DR but will the cost to upgrade be much more than it is to buy the adjustment up front?

On the powder coating, what color are you doing?
Old Jan 2, 2008, 07:39 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by dsycks
Now I take it that the height adjustment is part of the spring preload and not independent of it?
Correct, they are single height adjustable.

If a person wants to stay closer to stock height can you give a setup that will let us run anything from maybe an inch lower to maybe even a little higher than stock?
Yes. I don't see that there will be any problem with that.

If so would one be able to use these for the odd rally-x? If not no worry, I just may get a wild hair to run a stage road when we are at an event.
I've done rallyx on mine and the issue boiled down the bump travle vs. spring rate. I don't recommend the setup for this, but I personally didn't have any ill effects from it - like leaky shocks.

What sort of corrosion resistance do you think these well have? Any coatings or protection for those who take the cars out in wet and at times salt? (oops never mind!!! In addition, the strut bodies are also cadmium plated and then powder coated (or painted) for unsurpassed corrosion resistance.)
I'm still investigating the coatings right now. Cad for sure, but I may go with something that offers more corrosion resistance than cad.

EDIT: Just so we're clear, then entire strut housing will be plated AND the non-threaded areas will be powdercoated in addition to the plating. I'd prefer to plate and powdercoat the entire thing, but thread tolerance are too tight to allow for this.

How often will these need to be rebuilt and how durable will they be if used often on the street?
The KONIs hold up very well on dual-purpose cars. In fact, most of out Nationally competitive autox cars are dual-purpose cars with man miles on the setup. I have cars with 50k miles w/o issues.

If a person makes an order how long does it take to get the bits? Do you want full payment at time of order or is it part at time of order and part at ship?
We'll be transitioning this product from build-to-order to keeping them in stock. I'm not sure when this will occur. I want to let this first run get out there for a little while to address any possible issues & get feedback. Beyond that I forsee having these in stock ready to ship within a few days.

I typically take 80% down payment up front, balance on shipping when doing a built-to-order scenario.

Thanks for the Qs!

Last edited by ZzyzxM; Jan 2, 2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 07:46 PM
Account Disabled

By the way... lets say a person wants to go with rather light springs to start with. If they later decide to go serious track do they need a revalve or can you just slap in some stiffer springs?
I've personally run from 250 lb (rallyx) to 1100 lb springs on my Subaru. The setup will ride like a caddy with anything near the stock spring rates, and ride near-stock feeling with over 2x the stock spring rates. Most competitive autox cars are typically running north of 600 lb spring and my custumers generally don't bother changing the shock settings to/from events.

Also, I know that one can add on later by going from SF/SR to DF/SR and then DF/DR but will the cost to upgrade be much more than it is to buy the adjustment up front?
No, not really.

On the powder coating, what color are you doing?
Powdercoat will be blue, and annodizing of aluminum parts will be gold. That's my company logo color scheme. A popular combo for all rally cars, right?
Old Jan 3, 2008, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

Just those damn subys!

Thanks for the information. I think you found a new test bunny btw... we have been swapping a little email but I think it's time we got serious.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

For anyone else who wants a set from the first run... don't bother. I just took them.

Seems there are only TWO sets going on Evos as well... sorta sad really when you think about the level of support and craftsmanship that you get with these.

Good news is that we hope to test these ruthlessly and report the full experience back to EvoM!
Old Jan 7, 2008, 01:18 PM
Account Disabled

As dsycks noted above, he got the last set of EM Sport coilovers in the first production run.

As to pictures, here are a number of screen captured from the 3D model in SolidWorks:

Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

When is the next production run? I hope it's soon, next racing season is right around the corner.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[irrelevant, removed]

Last edited by donour; Jan 22, 2008 at 01:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Zzyzx Motorsports "EM Sport" coilovers